Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

? racism in Australia

Wikiposts

? racism in Australia

Old May 10th 2003, 1:58 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

We could all be accused of being racist in one way or another, but racism isn't just the outspokeness or the idiots who physically attack others. If we weren't racist, there would never have been any wars and we would all be on hilltops, holding hands singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing...". How many times has there been a post saying that one of the reasons we are leaving the UK is because of all the asylum seekers or illegal immigrants entering the UK? We don't like the way the country is moving, too many foreigners. Of all the other countries that these people have to pass through, why do they keep going until they reach the UK? If they fear death in their own country, surely the first, second or even the third country they come to would be safer. Even as the crow flies, there are 11 countries, 3 seas and the English Channel between Afghanistan and England. What drives somebody all this way? Not the fear of his own country, but the easy life that awaits him in the UK. We never say that we don't approve of the government's policy to allow x amount of people into the country. We always say "Look at them coming to sponge off our taxes". Or, "for every one that comes into the country, that's one less job for one of our own." Racism comes from feeling threatened, pure and simple. We can all be accused of that. How many of us are emigrating because we want a better life for our children. We all know what we mean. If our kids are lucky enough to find work if we stayed, we don't want their taxes to go to support illegal immigrants. We want better than that for them. Everybody treads on eggshells around the subject and says, "Oh no, I'm not racist". Of course you are, thats why your leaving. You can't change the governments policy, so you change your life.

We don't want our kids mugged, beaten or raped and arrest rates show that the percentage of whites being arrested is dropping.

20 - 30 years ago we used to wet ourselves laughing at the likes of 'Alf Garnet' or 'Mind your Language'. Today it would be considered racist. It was never considered racist then, it was 'just having a laugh'. What has changed? After all, if predictions are right, in 500 years time we'll all be the same colour due to inter-racial relationships. Two things have changed.

Firstly, the more people who enter the UK, the more outnumbered the British person becomes and the more threatened he/she feels. Whether it's a threat of more competition in the jobmarket, fear of going out late at night or what's going to happen to your daughter when she goes out.

Secondly, too many do-gooders who have got the wrong end of the stick about political correctness. Barking and Dagenham town hall took down their Union flag because one Muslim complained that he felt intimidated. This made the nation press and radio. He's in a country of nearly 60 million British people; of course he's going to feel intimidated. I'm going to Australia; I'll feel intimidated for a while. But I would never, ever expect another country to lower it's flag to suit my wishes. I have to fit in with their lifestyle; there's no two ways about it.

So, we are all racist in one way or another. Anyone who says he isn't is a liar. Anybody who disagrees with what I've said has missed the point and shouldn't be replying either. Remember that the conservatives have promised to have the first Asian Prime Minister. Watch those flood gates open.

Don't worry about racism in Australia, once we start to out-number them, they'll quieten down a bit.

I am actually not a racist, one of my best friends was a Major in the Albanian Army during the Bosnian conflict. He was in charge of the only unit that held on to it's command. A pure racist would not leave his own country to live with another 'race', and I have left the UK before, I spent quite a few years living and working in South Africa and Botswana. So, perhaps the word is wrong. It's doesn't matter what somebody's race is anyway. It's what they do when they get here that counts. That, and the way every government bends over backwards to give them what they want, out of our pockets.

Last edited by SteveBannister; May 10th 2003 at 4:29 am.
Old May 10th 2003, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said Steve!

footie chick
Old May 10th 2003, 3:40 am
Badge

Originally posted by SteveBannister
We could all be accused of being racist in one way or another, but racism isn't just the outspokeness or the idiots who physically attack others. If we weren't racist, there would never have been any wars and we would all be on hilltops, holding hands singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing...". How many times has there been a post saying that one of the reasons we are leaving the UK is because of all the asylum seekers or illegal immigrants entering the UK? We don't like the way the country is moving, too many foreigners. We never say that we don't approve of the government's policy to allow x amount of people into the country. We always say "Look at them coming to sponge off our taxes". Or, "for every one that comes into the country, that's one less job for one of our own." Racism comes from feeling threatened, pure and simple. We can all be accused of that. How many of us are emigrating because we want a better life for our children. We all know what we mean. If our kids are lucky enough to find work if we stayed, we don't want their taxes to go to support illegal immigrants. We want better than that for them. Everybody treads on eggshells around the subject and says, "Oh no, I'm not racist". Of course you are, thats why your leaving. You can't change the governments policy, so you change your life.

We don't want our kids mugged, beaten or raped and arrest rates show that the percentage of whites being arrested is dropping.

20 - 30 years ago we used to wet ourselves laughing at the likes of 'Alf Garnet' or 'Mind your Language'. Today it would be considered racist. It was never considered racist then, it was 'just having a laugh'. What has changed? After all, if predictions are right, in 500 years time we'll all be the same colour due to inter-racial relationships. Two things have changed.

Firstly, the more people who enter the UK, the more outnumbered the British person becomes and the more threatened he/she feels. Whether it's a threat of more competition in the jobmarket, fear of going out late at night or what's going to happen to your daughter when she goes out.

Secondly, too many do-gooders who have got the wrong end of the stick about political correctness. Barking and Dagenham town hall took down their Union flag because one Muslim complained that he felt intimidated. This made the nation press and radio. He's in a country of nearly 60 million British people; of course he's going to feel intimidated. I'm going to Australia; I'll feel intimidated for a while. But I would never, ever expect another country to lower it's flag to suit my wishes. I have to fit in with their lifestyle; there's no two ways about it.

So, we are all racist in one way or another. Anyone who says he isn't is a liar. Anybody who disagrees with what I've said has missed the point and shouldn't be replying either. Remember that the conservatives have promised to have the first Asian Prime Minister. Watch those flood gates open.

Don't worry about racism in Australia, once we start to out-number them, they'll quieten down a bit.

I am actually not a racist, one of my best friends was a Major in the Albanian Army during the Bosnian conflict. He was in charge of the only unit that held on to it's command. A pure racist would not leave his own country to live with another 'race', and I have left the UK before, I spent quite a few years living and working in South Africa and Botswana. So, perhaps the word is wrong. It's doesn't matter what somebody's race is anyway. It's what they do when they get here that counts. That, and the way every government bends over backwards to give them what they want, out of our pockets.
hear hear

Old May 11th 2003, 1:50 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by paulf
Brixton is a shithole, remember John Major insisting he was a brixton lad.
You have seen nothing yet my son , go to the Abo towns here now they are an eye opener.

Old May 11th 2003, 1:53 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister

Very true the Asian and muslims in Australia are working on that .

Old May 12th 2003, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

What planet are some of you people from the ignorance is amazing. I sugguest the ones with the problems are yourselves! You travel thousands of miles from the UK to complain about people who have every right to be there. On a weekend and I bet many a weekday you stumble home intoxicated sing your terrible footy or rugger songs and your hosts Aussie, New Zealanders and others, just love having you has a neighbour. If they are that much of a problem I sugguest you book a ticket to the moon. Remember you are the alien there.
Old May 12th 2003, 12:50 pm
Banned

Originally posted by stooly
What planet are some of you people from the ignorance is amazing. I sugguest the ones with the problems are yourselves! You travel thousands of miles from the UK to complain about people who have every right to be there. On a weekend and I bet many a weekday you stumble home intoxicated sing your terrible footy or rugger songs and your hosts Aussie, New Zealanders and others, just love having you has a neighbour. If they are that much of a problem I sugguest you book a ticket to the moon. Remember you are the alien there.
I do have a respect for full bred Abos unlike the Aussies who in general would round them up and keep them in camps far away from the areas that god fearing white folk live in.

Old May 12th 2003, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

jayneT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default racism

Hi

I am white with mixed race children from a previous marriage. I am now married to an Ozzie who has lived in the UK for longer than he is happy about! He has talked me into moving out to Perth later this year (where he is from and where his family still all live) and I think I can put up with the spiders & possibly the cockroaches, but I am worried that my kids are going to get a lot of stick for not only being Poms but not being white to boot.

I think there is racism everywhere you go but I don't particularly want my kids to get a double whammy. My husband and his family don't think there is going to be a problem - but I have to say that this is my greatest reservation. We live in Brighton at the moment and I don't think they have experienced any outright racism as yet but then they are still quite young.

They are nice kids (even if I do say so myself ) and I don't want to take them out a fairly constant and safe environment to one where they start being bullied.

Thanks for your time.

Jayne:scared:
Old May 12th 2003, 1:53 pm
Bilbo

For kids it depends a lot on their school. Kids are natural bullies if left unchecked.

Old May 12th 2003, 1:55 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Bilbo
For kids it depends a lot on their school. Kids are natural bullies if left unchecked.
You are so right as the dreamers say?

Monday, 12 May 2003

Police in Perth say charges may be laid over a schoolyard fight which has left an 11-year-old boy on life support in Princess Margaret Hospital.

The altercation involved two year six students at Mindarie Primary in Perth's northern suburbs.

The fight broke out about 3:00pm AWST on Friday.

School staff and a parent provided medical assistance while they waited for an ambulance to arrive.

The school has issued a statement saying the boy's condition is improving, but he is expected to remain in hospital for some time.

Sergeant Tim Lines from Joondalup says charges may be laid.

Old May 12th 2003, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

jayneT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default racism

Thanks for your comments .....

Up until a year ago we lived in a fairly small town where the populations was 99% white and we didn't have any problems.

So I don't think we would notice too much difference and as for the kids at school with bullying, like you say it seems to be par for the course regardless of skin colour.

Many thanks.

Jayne
Old May 13th 2003, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Steve,

sounds like the old "I'm not racist, but...." routine to me. As long as you fool yourself I suppose you can sleep at night.
Old May 13th 2003, 1:52 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Devlin
Steve,

sounds like the old "I'm not racist, but...." routine to me. As long as you fool yourself I suppose you can sleep at night.
Read the post again, especially the part that says "...Anybody who disagrees with what I've said has missed the point and shouldn't be replying...."

I think you're still in the first stage of denial.
Old May 13th 2003, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

I think people jump on the bandwagon and use the term racist too much.As a scotsman in london for 21years I have lost jobs and have taken a slagging about jocks etc over the years,especially when someone tries to get you wound up when playing football .The football part was the only one that got a reaction from me,only at the start,once I had been sent off a few times I realised what the game was and gave as good as I got,although I never gave it out first.Lets get real,anyone living somewhere where they are different are going to get a bit of stick,humans are unkind sometimes,it`s a fact and it will NEVER change.
Old May 13th 2003, 2:30 am
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by jockney
I think people jump on the bandwagon and use the term racist too much.As a scotsman in london for 21years I have lost jobs and have taken a slagging about jocks etc over the years,especially when someone tries to get you wound up when playing football .The football part was the only one that got a reaction from me,only at the start,once I had been sent off a few times I realised what the game was and gave as good as I got,although I never gave it out first.Lets get real,anyone living somewhere where they are different are going to get a bit of stick,humans are unkind sometimes,it`s a fact and it will NEVER change.
Spot on! What I am saying is, people should not be judged on where they are from, but what they do. If you are a top brain surgeon from Afghanistan, dedicated to saving lives, then my hat goes of to you. If you want to sit on your backside all day, happy to draw our taxes as benefit, then I'm talking about you. Whatever country you are from. (This underlying message has obviously gone over Devlin's head faster than a Red Arrow).

Last edited by SteveBannister; May 13th 2003 at 2:36 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.