Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rachel has just found a redback.........

Rachel has just found a redback.........

Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:46 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rachel has just found a redback.........

She was breaking up a cardboard box that was in the garage, and out it ran and then stopped, it's now sort of mangled by Rachel's flip flop :scared:
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:52 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rachel has just found a redback.........

We've been here four months and apart from a single white tail, we've only seen little house spiders.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:57 am
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fraser
She was breaking up a cardboard box that was in the garage, and out it ran and then stopped, it's now sort of mangled by Rachel's flip flop :scared:
For future reference, how big are redbacks and are they obvious when you spot one (i.e. red in colour)? We just seem get those that look like daddy long legs. Don't know what breed they are, but I'm asked to remove them on a daily basis.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:58 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carl B
For future reference, how big are redbacks and are they obvious when you spot one (i.e. red in colour)? We just seem get those that look like daddy long legs. Don't know what breed they are, but I'm asked to remove them on a daily basis.
Redbacks are roundish and black with (you guessed it) a red back
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:59 am
What's happening dudes?

Here's a redback:

http://www.ento.csiro.au/aicn/images/cain307.jpg
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

It was about the size of a 10p, was jet black and had a bright red stripe on its back. Was very easy to kill, just seemed to stop still.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:13 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
It was about the size of a 10p, was jet black and had a bright red stripe on its back. Was very easy to kill, just seemed to stop still.
Well done you. Just make sure you haven't left any orphans behind. I'm sure they would need putting out of their misery

Actually I do quite often worry about the spiders because Terry is colour blind and I don't know that he would be able to notice the red stripe on its back. At traffic lights he just stops and if some toots then he know he is supposed to go over
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Well done you. Just make sure you haven't left any orphans behind. I'm sure they would need putting out of their misery

Actually I do quite often worry about the spiders because Terry is colour blind and I don't know that he would be able to notice the red stripe on its back. At traffic lights he just stops and if some toots then he know he is supposed to go over

Glad I'm not still driving in the UK

Better make sure he just kills them all then
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:18 am
What's happening dudes?

At traffic lights he just stops and if some toots then he know he is supposed to go over
A Greek guy at work told me that's how you're supposed to negotiate traffic lights

I wouldn't worry about being colour blind. Best policy is to squish any spiders you see. I had this discussion with an exterminator guy because I've always just put spiders out in the garden. I don't want to kill them because they kill the flies and mozzies but he says you should kill all spiders.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:20 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rachel1978
Better make sure he just kills them all then
Have you found a huntsman yet? We ssaw 3 when we were at my sister's last year and they are huge. They would make a terrific mess if you splattered those. She just picks them up and throws them out. Down on bended knees, all hail my sister!!

Thinking about it if you go on a spider hunt you could get rid of a lot of your frustrations seeing as you haven't had the best of starts out there Best of luck to you, hope it soon turns around
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:40 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore

some redbacks dont have a red back so beware
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:42 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by biggy
some redbacks dont have a red back so beware
That's just crazy talk. Like saying a praying mantis isn't religious
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

She just picks them up and throws them out. Down on bended knees, all hail my sister!!
Definitely. I'm not sure I could do that. A big shoe followed by a lot of cleaning
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Fraser

How come you seem to have it all thrown at you!

You seem to have had more experiences in the short time that you have been here than most Aussie's... PLEASE never go to north QLD. You will bound to find the croc's
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:05 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Fraser

How come you seem to have it all thrown at you!

You seem to have had more experiences in the short time that you have been here than most Aussie's... PLEASE never go to north QLD. You will bound to find the croc's
I was going to invite him to my next barbie but I don't think the house insurance covers 'total loss'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.