Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Races & Racewear

Races & Racewear

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really nice
Default Races & Racewear

Heading to the Races next Saturday, have no idea what to expect not having been to any kind of horseracing before (childhood showjumping doesn't count I'm sure). So what's a day out at the races like here? (I believe we're heading to Randwick).

I'm also not sure what to wear even though I know we've hit 'Racewear' fashion season in Australia. When I first came to Oz, I was completely overdressed at the first few social get togethers I went to, then got hit for six at our work's annual awards night where the ladies had dressed to Oscarian levels of glam and I turned up in a sparkly top and jeans So don't want another faux pas

What's been your experiences at the Races and can any ladies share their pearls of wisdom on what to wear, any tips on the day in general? (I believe it will involve plenty of drinking anyhow - and that's according to my aussie girlfriends!)

Cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Races & Racewear

Originally Posted by Rainydaze View Post
Heading to the Races next Saturday, have no idea what to expect not having been to any kind of horseracing before (childhood showjumping doesn't count I'm sure). So what's a day out at the races like here? (I believe we're heading to Randwick).

I'm also not sure what to wear even though I know we've hit 'Racewear' fashion season in Australia. When I first came to Oz, I was completely overdressed at the first few social get togethers I went to, then got hit for six at our work's annual awards night where the ladies had dressed to Oscarian levels of glam and I turned up in a sparkly top and jeans So don't want another faux pas

What's been your experiences at the Races and can any ladies share their pearls of wisdom on what to wear, any tips on the day in general? (I believe it will involve plenty of drinking anyhow - and that's according to my aussie girlfriends!)

Cheers
Racedays are an occasion where the women really go over the top.....both in terms of what they wear and what they drink.

Go as 'dressed up' as possible....with the highest heels you can find and make sure you get legless.....in more ways than one.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I was at Joondalup shopping centre in Perth on the morning of the Melbourne Cup last year. There were quite a few girls there all dressed up ready to go to the races (well, in a local tavern or other venue - LOL) Attire was cheap dresses, tattoos on display, caked on make up, marbled legs or fake orange tan, dodgy dyed blonde straightened hair or similar. It was a bogan version of Ladies Day at Ascot - and that's a Chav day out thesedays.

I wouldn't worry yourself too much, wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

Last edited by pomtastic; Apr 2nd 2010 at 9:39 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic View Post

I wouldn't worry yourself too much, whatever you wear you feel comfortable in.
....and you will look completely out of place among the overweight underdressed pissed up slappers who are on display on any raceday anywhere in Australia
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really niceRainydaze is just really nice

Hmmmm. Plenty of food for thought in these replies
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I am not familiar with the meet you are referring to but in Melbourne at Caulfield and Flemmington it is very dressed up. The in look for autumn racewear is more tailored and warmer clothes. A LBD dressed up with day heels, hat some nice jewellery. If you have good legs something a bit shorter but with tights. Summer wear is lighter clothing more uncovered but still tasteful. Not everyone is dressed badly or over weight or pissed up.

Last edited by Hebe; Apr 2nd 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic View Post
Attire was cheap dresses, tattoos on display, caked on make up, marbled legs or fake orange tan, dodgy dyed blonde straightened hair or similar.
And that was only the blokes.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Hebe View Post
I Summer wear is lighter clothing more uncovered but still tasteful.

I go most weeks.....for most it is no more than an excuse to get legless.

Fights happen regularly and recently, at Doomben, a couple were caught shagging in public.....cheered on by an enthusiastic audience.

Nothing tasteful about it

Last edited by Grayling; Apr 2nd 2010 at 11:24 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

norfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
....and you will look completely out of place among the overweight underdressed pissed up slappers who are on display on any raceday anywhere in Australia
...who are most likely Uk women from Manchester!!