Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RAC, AA membership transfer

RAC, AA membership transfer

Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:03 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RAC, AA membership transfer

Originally Posted by podgypossum
While we are on this subject. A very important tip for those planning to travel outside metroplitan areas in Aus.

Whenever you leave the last town heading into the bush or desert, please, please please, set your trip metre to zero. Driving here is very different to UK, and breaking down in the middle of nowhere with not even a tree as a landmark makes it extremely difficult to pinpoint where you are, how far from nearest town or breakdown service station. By setting hte trip metre it at least lets the services know how far from the last town you are. This can be hundreds of kms sometimes.
I spent nearly 2hrs once trying to help a German tourist who broke down in the desert, hitched a lift to a small town but had no idea how far she was from the car!!
And also worth taking a look at the map on long cross country's and see where the fuel stops are, running out of fuel 100 clicks from the nearest servo isn't fun either!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by podgypossum
You dont need to do anything when you get to Oz unless you breakdown. Then you just ring the state motoring organisation depending where you are. Make sure you have your card on you though.

Queensland = RACQ

S.A. = RAA

W.A = RACWA

NSW = NRMA

If you want to join the Aus equivalent just join up at their nearest office or do it online.

Thanx for that
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
And also worth taking a look at the map on long cross country's and see where the fuel stops are, running out of fuel 100 clicks from the nearest servo isn't fun either!

good point! as you'll be charged a kilometrage by the contractor who will NOT be happy driving 200km to tow you to nearest servo!
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cresta57
I was a member of the AA when I was in the U.K. I had been a member since 1990. When I arrived here in Australia I went into the RACQ to enquire about joining and they simply swapped my AA membership for RACQ they also made sure my RACQ card stated member since 1990 which makes me a silver member and entitles me to a further discount on various products available through the RACQ. I didn't have to pay to join the RACQ until the expiry date on my U.K AA card either so the remaining time on my AA card wasn't wasted.
If you do a search I'm sure I posted about it at the time as I was so amazed

Thanx for that too.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fraser
Hello mate I think your 1-0 is the wrong way round, I'll help you out, go and look in your papers and find either your passport or birth certificate then find where it says nationality and tell me what it says

HTH

PMSL

Only a minor blip, we can still win 4-1

(oops, sorry for hijacking the thread....wont do it again)
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
I was a member of the AA when I was in the U.K. I had been a member since 1990. When I arrived here in Australia I went into the RACQ to enquire about joining and they simply swapped my AA membership for RACQ they also made sure my RACQ card stated member since 1990 which makes me a silver member and entitles me to a further discount on various products available through the RACQ. I didn't have to pay to join the RACQ until the expiry date on my U.K AA card either so the remaining time on my AA card wasn't wasted.
If you do a search I'm sure I posted about it at the time as I was so amazed
I know someone else, very local to me, who did exactly the same, transferred their AA membership and got a Silver membership with the RACQ immediately.

Maybe it is just the QLD RACQ that do it ?

Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:19 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I know someone else, very local to me, who did exactly the same, transferred their AA membership and got a Silver membership with the RACQ immediately.

Maybe it is just the QLD RACQ that do it ?
Is there another RACQ ?

Just get a car that won't break down...