Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RAC, AA membership transfer

RAC, AA membership transfer

Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:23 am
Barbie chef extrordinaire

PhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the rough
Default RAC, AA membership transfer

My membership is due for the AA again and i HOPFULLY wont need a full years membership. so i sent an email off ta RAC Australia. I asked if i could transfer my membership of the AA or RAC to them.

here was the reply

Dear Nigel
Thank you for your enquiry. We can transfer all memberships from any states and from most countries except the U.K. So if you do have an existing membership, please provide us with details such as number, expiry dates, type & years of membership so that we can transfer them to a WA membership for you.

Regards.

Typical cant transfer the UK.

ah well worth asking.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:28 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RAC, AA membership transfer

Thanks for the info - mines up for renewal in few wks & we will definately be in Oz before it expires

I know that the AA will freeze the remaining membership period if you don't need the cover for a while, but have not asked if they will give any refunds for unused months. So if no transfer is available or no refunds, then I guess the best thing is to freeze it just incase of returning back to UK.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by walaj
Thanks for the info - mines up for renewal in few wks & we will definately be in Oz before it expires

I know that the AA will freeze the remaining membership period if you don't need the cover for a while, but have not asked if they will give any refunds for unused months. So if no transfer is available or no refunds, then I guess the best thing is to freeze it just incase of returning back to UK.
Im with the AA. I telephoned and asked about a refund as mine runs from Jan to Jan. I was told I cannot get a refund. The options are to cancel the policy or transfer the remaining months into someone elses name.

Paul
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:34 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

just spoke to AA - no refunds unless you cancel within 14 days of renewing.
You can freeze the membership for up to 6yrs. Or you can transfer membership to friend/family - I suppose if they have cover they can freeze their membership whilst they use your remaining cover up
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:35 am
no longer searching

Originally Posted by paulb
Im with the AA. I telephoned and asked about a refund as mine runs from Jan to Jan. I was told I cannot get a refund. The options are to cancel the policy or transfer the remaining months into someone elses name.

Paul
thanks - I should not have been so quick to phone them up and trust someone here would have the answer!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:36 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can't transfer it and they won't refund you (why is that not a surprise), how about pay it monthly then when you leave stop paying it/cancel the direct debit and stick two fingers up to rip-off Britain as the plane takes off?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PhillN01
My membership is due for the AA again and i HOPFULLY wont need a full years membership. so i sent an email off ta RAC Australia. I asked if i could transfer my membership of the AA or RAC to them.

here was the reply

Dear Nigel
Thank you for your enquiry. We can transfer all memberships from any states and from most countries except the U.K. So if you do have an existing membership, please provide us with details such as number, expiry dates, type & years of membership so that we can transfer them to a WA membership for you.

Regards.

Typical cant transfer the UK.

ah well worth asking.

He should have added however, that you can use your UK membership in Australia until it runs out. UK and Australia have a reciprocal agreement between motoring organisations and you will be entitled to standard road cover if you produce your current UK card.
Until 6 weeks ago, i worked in the emergency control ctre for the RAA in South Australia and had international members using the service near enough on a daily basis.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
If you can't transfer it and they won't refund you (why is that not a surprise), how about pay it monthly then when you leave stop paying it/cancel the direct debit and stick two fingers up to rip-off Britain as the plane takes off?

Good idea. Too late for me as I paid mine yearly in January
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by podgypossum
He should have added however, that you can use your UK membership in Australia until it runs out. UK and Australia have a reciprocal agreement between motoring organisations and you will be entitled to standard road cover if you produce your current UK card.
Until 6 weeks ago, i worked in the emergency control ctre for the RAA in South Australia and had international members using the service near enough on a daily basis.
I've heard this before, but they didnt tell me that when I telephoned.

So I keep my AA membership till it runs out in Jan. What do I do when I get to OZ? (hopefully Octoberish)

Paul
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:47 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mate I think your 1-0 is the wrong way round, I'll help you out, go and look in your papers and find either your passport or birth certificate then find where it says nationality and tell me what it says

HTH
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I've heard this before, but they didnt tell me that when I telephoned.

So I keep my AA membership till it runs out in Jan. What do I do when I get to OZ? (hopefully Octoberish)

Paul

You dont need to do anything when you get to Oz unless you breakdown. Then you just ring the state motoring organisation depending where you are. Make sure you have your card on you though.

Queensland = RACQ

S.A. = RAA

W.A = RACWA

NSW = NRMA

If you want to join the Aus equivalent just join up at their nearest office or do it online.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:49 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Paul
I was a member of the AA when I was in the U.K. I had been a member since 1990. When I arrived here in Australia I went into the RACQ to enquire about joining and they simply swapped my AA membership for RACQ they also made sure my RACQ card stated member since 1990 which makes me a silver member and entitles me to a further discount on various products available through the RACQ. I didn't have to pay to join the RACQ until the expiry date on my U.K AA card either so the remaining time on my AA card wasn't wasted.
If you do a search I'm sure I posted about it at the time as I was so amazed
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:50 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Hello mate I think your 1-0 is the wrong way round, I'll help you out, go and look in your papers and find either your passport or birth certificate then find where it says nationality and tell me what it says

HTH
You really need to get out more...........

Oh and have a pop over to Google, look under 'netiquette' and 'hijack'
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to get out more...........

Oh and have a pop over to Google, look under 'netiquette' and 'hijack'
I must be mistaken then, do they say Australia, nah didn't think so what a glory hunter

And what makes it worse you come on here slagging down your country and countryman and can't take a bit of ribbing about it
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

While we are on this subject. A very important tip for those planning to travel outside metroplitan areas in Aus.

Whenever you leave the last town heading into the bush or desert, please, please please, set your trip metre to zero. Driving here is very different to UK, and breaking down in the middle of nowhere with not even a tree as a landmark makes it extremely difficult to pinpoint where you are, how far from nearest town or breakdown service station. By setting hte trip metre it at least lets the services know how far from the last town you are. This can be hundreds of kms sometimes.
I spent nearly 2hrs once trying to help a German tourist who broke down in the desert, hitched a lift to a small town but had no idea how far she was from the car!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.