Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best quote for shipping UK to Brisbane?

Best quote for shipping UK to Brisbane?

Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:14 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Best quote for shipping UK to Brisbane?

Just wondering if any one's managed to negotiate a really good deal with the shippers.

We received UK to Brisbane quotes ranging from £3,100 to £4,400 with PSS as the best. Has anyone managed to get further reductions below those levels or is that about as good as it gets?

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:29 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best quote for shipping UK to Brisbane?

Originally Posted by GLR
Just wondering if any one's managed to negotiate a really good deal with the shippers.

We received UK to Brisbane quotes ranging from £3,100 to £4,400 with PSS as the best. Has anyone managed to get further reductions below those levels or is that about as good as it gets?

Cheers

GLR
No replies at all... Should I take it that £3,100 is as good as it gets and sign up with PSS?!

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:26 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Seems to be the best so far. We've got PSS coming on Friday. We had a quote from John Mason last week for 3370GBP for a 20ft container to Brisbane.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:24 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it isn't just the quote but the service received more than anything. Our friends Boomie & co have used PSS and flew out to Oz yesterday. Their shipment is a little bit behind them but I can tell you they were more than happy with PSS for price and their service.

We hope to be going out next year and will also be using PSS.

Just don't use Anglo Pacific - heard too many bad rumours about them!

Good Luck whoever you use

Ang
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:45 am
GLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Houdini
Seems to be the best so far. We've got PSS coming on Friday. We had a quote from John Mason last week for 3370GBP for a 20ft container to Brisbane.
Thanks for the info - looks like I should book with PSS ASAP.

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

A lot depends on what area you are going in Brisbane as the quotes generally only cover a delivery radius of 30 mile from Port.

We had to pay extra for delvery to the Sunshine Coast
Old Oct 14th 2004, 1:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gargar
Check out they can offer a door-to-door service. Drop them a line on their web site and they will arrange a site visit to determine how much you are taking and quote you their most competitive rate.
As I've just mentioned on the sofa thread, if you are promoting your own company, do us the decency of admitting to it. This forum runs a lot on personal recommendation, and people may view this as such. If its actually an advert (which technically should be in the Marketplace), own up to it. At least then people are aware.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 14th 2004 at 2:20 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:06 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As I've just mentioned on the sofa thread, if you are promoting your own company, do us the decency of admitting to it. This forum runs a lot on personal recommendation, and people may view this as such. If its actually an advert (which technically should be in the Marketplace), own up to it. At least then people are aware.
Hear, hear - Gargar should be aware that he whilst he thinks he's doing Bargate a favour he is actually harming their reputation by promoting them in such an underhand way.

GLR
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
Hear, hear - Gargar should be aware that he whilst he thinks he's doing Bargate a favour he is actually harming their reputation by promoting them in such an underhand way.

GLR

May I ask why you make an assumption that he is actually harming a moving company's reputation by suggesting that people visit the company's website and why you consider it underhanded?

Honestly cannot see that he is doing anything "wrong" nor that he is advertising by posting an URL to a particular moving company.

Even as a moderator, I have done such a thing in the past myself by directing people to the moving company my husband used to move his belongings to the States.

Rete

PS I see that Sue has removed the "offending" post and I have altered the thread that contained the same link so that the URL has been deleted.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:37 pm
Banned

gargar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GLR

GLR
Hi,

I don't consider it underhand as I do not get involved in the actual shipping side and I do not consider it advertising. I note on a number of message threads that people have placed web site links to companies they have not personally used but simply know of. Is that not advertising in another form?
Having said that, I apologise if it was felt that by posting the message it was considered incorrect.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:47 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
May I ask why you make an assumption that he is actually harming a moving company's reputation by suggesting that people visit the company's website and why you consider it underhanded?

Honestly cannot see that he is doing anything "wrong" nor that he is advertising by posting an URL to a particular moving company.

Even as a moderator, I have done such a thing in the past myself by directing people to the moving company my husband used to move his belongings to the States.

Rete

PS I see that Sue has removed the "offending" post and I have altered the thread that contained the same link so that the URL has been deleted.
Hi Rete

It's only a problem if gargar is connected with Bargate which seems likely given the nature of the posts and the fact that they've now been deleted. The connection should have been disclosed in the posting. As Pollyanna said, we all rely on the recommendations of others on this site and we assume that the recommender has no connection with the company.

If we knew that a recommendation was from an employee of the company in question then we would place much less reliance on them. Gargar didn't disclose the connection hence it was underhand and disguised advertising.

If Gargar has no connection to Bargate then the posting was completely appropriate (as with the example that you gave) and I take it all back!

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:03 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GLR
No replies at all... Should I take it that £3,100 is as good as it gets and sign up with PSS?!

Cheers

GLR
Other end of the country but ours cost £3200 inc over 2 months of storage, i got the insurance seperate from a company in Liverpool, it worked out about £300 for £17,000 worth of cover. I can always have a look for you as to who it was. There was an old thread on here and I went with them. Our shipper up here was Ok, but when it arrived here, the guys unpacking it said the furniture items had been poorly packed, and my dining table was not suitably covered at all. So much for them apearing good the other end in the Uk, but I had minimal damage and was happy noting worthwhile was broken.
Jenny
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:40 pm
Banned

gargar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GLR
Hi Rete

It's only a problem if gargar is connected with Bargate which seems likely given the nature of the posts and the fact that they've now been deleted. The connection should have been disclosed in the posting. As Pollyanna said, we all rely on the recommendations of others on this site and we assume that the recommender has no connection with the company.

If we knew that a recommendation was from an employee of the company in question then we would place much less reliance on them. Gargar didn't disclose the connection hence it was underhand and disguised advertising.

If Gargar has no connection to Bargate then the posting was completely appropriate (as with the example that you gave) and I take it all back!

Cheers

GLR
Hi,

When is advertising not advertising?
There are a number of members who are listing company websites which they have received quotes from and are also listing these quotes. These are not recommendations as they have not used these companies services yet. However it apears that this is o.k. to give these companies free advertising.

By recommending the company I work for I do not consider it advertising any more that some of the people advising on companies they have received quotes from. These cannot be considered a recommendation if they have not been used. As I do not get involved in any actual shipping activity nor quotations I consider recommending a known reliable service would be of interest to anyone seeking to move abroad.

If I did respond to an enquiry with a straight forward advert it would be pulled anyway.

regards
gargar
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:32 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gargar
Hi,

When is advertising not advertising?
There are a number of members who are listing company websites which they have received quotes from and are also listing these quotes. These are not recommendations as they have not used these companies services yet. However it apears that this is o.k. to give these companies free advertising.

By recommending the company I work for I do not consider it advertising any more that some of the people advising on companies they have received quotes from. These cannot be considered a recommendation if they have not been used. As I do not get involved in any actual shipping activity nor quotations I consider recommending a known reliable service would be of interest to anyone seeking to move abroad.

If I did respond to an enquiry with a straight forward advert it would be pulled anyway.

regards
gargar
Hi Gargar

All you need to do is to disclose that you work for the company when recommending them. That way people will be able to make an honest judgement on your recommendation and we'll all be happy

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
Hi Gargar

All you need to do is to disclose that you work for the company when recommending them. That way people will be able to make an honest judgement on your recommendation and we'll all be happy

Cheers

GLR
Stirred up a hornets nest there, didn't I! OOps!
The above quote from GLR says exactly what I was thinking at the time though.
Oh and ss Gargar says, many people are mentioing companies they haven't actually used yet - but they say that, and we know where they are coming from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.