Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rabbits in Queensland......the fluffy variety ;-)

Rabbits in Queensland......the fluffy variety ;-)

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:23 am
Banned

Viyada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rabbits in Queensland......the fluffy variety ;-)

I know that you are not allowed to keeps rabbits in Queensland.....but I'm kind of assuming that some people do.

We have a bun, and we'd like him to come with us. Never having crossed states in a car I'm not sure how these things work.....but....I am hoping there is no nasty man at the state border ready to take my poor bun away.

Also.....what about plants? I have heaps of pot plants.....can I bring them with me?

Thanks

Viyada
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rabbits in Queensland......the fluffy variety ;-)

Bringing a rabbit in is a massive threat to the environment here and is certainly a no no. Please think about that. Plants will also need to be re-homed !

Originally Posted by Viyada
I know that you are not allowed to keeps rabbits in Queensland.....but I'm kind of assuming that some people do.

We have a bun, and we'd like him to come with us. Never having crossed states in a car I'm not sure how these things work.....but....I am hoping there is no nasty man at the state border ready to take my poor bun away.

Also.....what about plants? I have heaps of pot plants.....can I bring them with me?

Thanks

Viyada
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:40 am
Banned

Oh dear, that's not good news. But my bun lives in a cage.......so he'd not threaten any wildlife

How come plants have to be re-homed? I just don't get this sectioning off states thing.....don't bees fly across state lines

Ah well, will have to re-think things.

Viyada
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Where you coming from ?

Oh dear, that's not good news. But my bun lives in a cage.......so he'd not threaten any wildlife

How come plants have to be re-homed? I just don't get this sectioning off states thing.....don't bees fly across state lines

Ah well, will have to re-think things.

Viyada
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We couldn't bring our rabbits with us much to the heartbreak of the girls so you can't bring yours in, sorry. I'm not sure about the plant thing. We live almost on the border and frequently use a garden centre in NSW and then obviously plant in QLD but there are signs up as you cross the border that you need to get rid of stuff.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by melaniee
Where you coming from ?
Hi Melaniee

I'm coming from NSW. I don't want to leave my lemon tree behind

Viyada
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Hi Melaniee

Viyada
REF your Plants

look at :
http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets...240/reader.pdf. Page 8

Reference to Rabbits

Rabbits
Can I have a pet rabbit in Queensland?
No. There are no provisions under the Act to allow the keeping of domestic rabbits as pets in Queensland.
Can I farm rabbits in Queensland?
No. There are no provisions under the Act to allow rabbit farming in Queensland.
Why are pet rabbits illegal in Queensland and not in other states and territories?
Queensland is the only state to keep an area free of rabbits by maintaining a rabbit-proof fence and controlling rabbit populations in the area. Allowing rabbits to be kept within the area protected by the fence may endanger this rabbit-free status.
Keeping rabbits as pets and farm animals in other states can cause problems and opposition to the releasing biological control agents such as rabbit caliciviris disease to control wild rabbits.
Rabbits are Australia's most destructive agricultural and environmental introduced animal pest, costing between $600 million and $1 billion annually. They cause severe land degradation and soil erosion and threaten the survival of many rare and endangered species of native wildlife. For this reason, the keeping of rabbits as pets is strongly opposed by many rural landholders and conservationists.
What do I do if I have a pet rabbit?
Do not release it in the wild. You can either:
surrender it to your local council office
surrender it to a Land Protection Officer at your local Department of Natural Resources and Water office
dispose of it in a legal and humane way
contact the Darling Downs–Moreton Rabbit Board to arrange for it to be collected. Ph: (07) 4661 4076.
Who do I contact if I see wild rabbits?
Your local government (council) is responsible for ensuring that landholders control declared pests.
If you live in the area of south-east Queensland that is protected by the rabbit-proof fence, contact the Darling Downs–Moreton Rabbit Board on (07) 4661 4076.

ref

http://www.nrw.qld.gov.au/pests/legi...s.html#rabbits
or
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rabbit/bushqld.htm

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can have the soil tested apparently, contact AQIS. We did not bother as there was a charge for them to come to your house, paperwork etc. But it is possible !

Hi Melaniee

Viyada
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:26 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Good reply Sharpy !
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:59 pm
Banned

Thanks for that info Sharpy, it was really useful.

I have an offer of a home for the bun, and my interpretation of the document about plants is that I will besically be ok to bring them. I need to read it in more detail to check I'm not missing something though.

Thanks again for your help

Viyada

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
REF your Plants

look at :

Reference to Rabbits

Rabbits
No. There are no provisions under the Act to allow the keeping of domestic rabbits as pets in Queensland.
No. There are no provisions under the Act to allow rabbit farming in Queensland.
Why are pet rabbits illegal in Queensland and not in other states and territories?
Queensland is the only state to keep an area free of rabbits by maintaining a rabbit-proof fence and controlling rabbit populations in the area. Allowing rabbits to be kept within the area protected by the fence may endanger this rabbit-free status.
Keeping rabbits as pets and farm animals in other states can cause problems and opposition to the releasing biological control agents such as rabbit caliciviris disease to control wild rabbits.
Rabbits are Australia's most destructive agricultural and environmental introduced animal pest, costing between $600 million and $1 billion annually. They cause severe land degradation and soil erosion and threaten the survival of many rare and endangered species of native wildlife. For this reason, the keeping of rabbits as pets is strongly opposed by many rural landholders and conservationists.
surrender it to a Land Protection Officer at your local Department of Natural Resources and Water office
contact the Darling Downs–Moreton Rabbit Board to arrange for it to be collected. Ph: (07) 4661 4076.
Your local government (council) is responsible for ensuring that landholders control declared pests.
If you live in the area of south-east Queensland that is protected by the rabbit-proof fence, contact the Darling Downs–Moreton Rabbit Board on (07) 4661 4076.

ref

or

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Melaniee

Viyada

FFS, I've heard everything now. We do have lemon trees in Qld you know. Anyway, it will probably suffer an probably die after being uprooted and transported, even if you don't bring any diseases/bugs with it.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:33 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
You can have the soil tested apparently, contact AQIS. We did not bother as there was a charge for them to come to your house, paperwork etc. But it is possible !
AQIS don't care diddly-squat about transportation within Australia, the the respective state departments of primary industries that would be concerned in this area, and they would probably tell you that it is not advisable to move soil or plants from state to state as it is easy to transport pests and diseases like fire ants, fruit fly, blight etc, etc, etc.......

Oh, for the good old days of border inspections of vehicles.............

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 6th 2008 at 2:37 am.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bloke
FFS, I've heard everything now. We do have lemon trees in Qld you know. Anyway, it will probably suffer an probably die after being uprooted and transported, even if you don't bring any diseases/bugs with it.
But the lemon trees in Queensland are not the ones my mum bought me as a prezzy when I first came out here.....it has sentimental value . And it's got it's first lemons on this year! Oh, and it's in a pot!!!

The document that Sharpy posted seemed to suggest that it wouldn't be a problem bringing it anyway.

Viyada
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:43 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Dosen't look like the rabbit will be looked upon fondly once here.

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
REF your Plants

look at :

Reference to Rabbits

Rabbits

ref

or

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by annqldau
Dosen't look like the rabbit will be looked upon fondly once here.

Nope, but I've had an offer of a home for the bun, so he probably won't come with us.

Viyada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.