Wikiposts

R M Williams

Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:24 pm
tennisoz

Default R M Williams

There was a thread a few days ago about the Akubra hat so it was perhaps poignant that the Times carried an obituary for R M Williams yesterday. He died on Tuesday at the age of 95. For those who don't know he started up a well known company which sells footwear and clothing. The elastic sided boots and Drizabone coat are 2 of the well known products. I can remember for first pair of Williams elastic sided boots which lasted for years and years. Amongst other things he also started up the Stockman's (not cowboy) Hall of Fame at Longreach and owned a gold mine.

He wanted his epitaph to read 'Here is a man who tried'.

R.I.P

So who has a Drizabone (and an Akubra) or elastic sided boots?

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:27 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

And his state funeral is next week (Wed I think) in Toowoomba.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:28 pm
tennisoz

Default Re: R M Williams

Originally posted by tennisoz
There was a thread a few days ago about the Akubra hat so it was perhaps poignant that the Times carried an obituary for R M Williams yesterday. He died on Tuesday at the age of 95. For those who don't know he started up a well known company which sells footwear and clothing. The elastic sided boots and Drizabone coat are 2 of the well known products. I can remember for first pair of Williams elastic sided boots which lasted for years and years. Amongst other things he also started up the Stockman's (not cowboy) Hall of Fame at Longreach and owned a gold mine.

R.I.P

TennisOz
MY first pair of .... I should proof read these b****y things before posting

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:34 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

i HAD some of those elastic sided boots, but the were "yakka" ones not RMs. They self destructed when i was in oz. Apparently the soles don't like th bleaching solution i spilt on them when i was working as a chemist in a paper mill
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:05 pm
Badge

yeah I had all the gear

could have starred in The Man from Dusty River..

Badge

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tennisoz

R.I.P

TennisOz
I have the boots but mine are Rossi - my brother-in-law bought them for me - essential Aussie farm wear and he won't have any other brand!!

I always used to see the RMs advertised in one of the outback magazine...what is it called? (my memory's failing me)
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:11 pm
Badge

"Outback"

??

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:18 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by badgersmount
yeah I had all the gear

could have starred in The Man from Dusty River..

Badge
Good one - bet it is Dusty River with the drought and all that. Trivial aside - I've seen the hut they built near Mansfield for the film TMFSR a couple of times in the last few days on TV - Railway Adventures and on a tape my father sent me (Postcards program which is shown in Victoria).

TennisOz

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:24 pm
Badge

oops

I meant to say Snowy

I ask you...

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:31 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

badgers- put up the link to outback magazine online before(well WBB did)

http://www.outbackmag.com.au/