Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

quotes and boxes

quotes and boxes

Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:34 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future
Default quotes and boxes

hi
we have had a quote for a 20 footer container for £3.696 from glasgow to bunbury is this a good price.
but we might get away with half a 20 footer the quote is £2.568 hopefully i can get away it a lot of money to save.
no kids, not got as much as a family to take so we might get away with it.

were going to pack ourselves and i was wondering about the boxes do you have to use the boxes from the company you are movinb with thats what the man on the phone said . or can you just get boxes of your own.

john
Old Oct 31st 2005, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quotes and boxes

Originally Posted by jocky boy
hi
we have had a quote for a 20 footer container for £3.696 from glasgow to bunbury is this a good price.
but we might get away with half a 20 footer the quote is £2.568 hopefully i can get away it a lot of money to save.

were going to pack ourselves and i was wondering about the boxes do you have to use the boxes from the company you are movinb with thats what the man on the phone said . or can you just get boxes of your own.

john
No idea, we came with suitcases and t chest, just thought i would say HI , Denise
Old Oct 31st 2005, 3:39 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

we should find out some time in november if we will get our visa getting really anxious now.

can't stop thinking about it we have waited 6 months more than we should. have. we went through a defacto visa and they wanted proof of us being together as a couple for a year with bank acounts, rent e.t.c. but we only had accounts in joint names for 6 months so it has been a long. you know how it all works denise.

john..
Old Oct 31st 2005, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

we should find out some time in november if we will get our visa getting really anxious now.

can't stop thinking about it we have waited 6 months more than we should. have. we went through a defacto visa and they wanted proof of us being together as a couple for a year with bank acounts, rent e.t.c. but we only had accounts in joint names for 6 months so it has been a long. you know how it all works denise.

john..
YEP I know, my son is coming over on a student visa, gets here on the 2nd Jan, his partner is also on visa, they have been together 4 years , but only lived together properly for 6 months, hope they dont have too much hassle. Denise
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:11 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

hi
i'm sure your son will be fine denise, good luck to them both.

well we will find out in november sometime if we are granted our visa's.
can i ask what made you decide on bunbury, talk to bridie sometime on expats w a i have spoken to you from time to time if you remember.

john..
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hi
i'm sure your son will be fine denise, good luck to them both.

well we will find out in november sometime if we are granted our visa's.
can i ask what made you decide on bunbury, talk to bridie sometime on expats w a i have spoken to you from time to time if you remember.

john..
yes im sure they will be fine, had coffee with Bridie this morning, they are ok.
Bunbury, well we ahd to go regional WA ,so we just rang plumbing and gas companies south west and David got a job here, I think it is fate we are meant to be here. Denise
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:51 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that's pretty reasonable, we had a part container and it was about £2,600 I think, door to door from Kent to Bunbury.

As for deciding on Bunbury, Malc came here about 10 years ago whilst backpacking around Aus, he didnt spend long here but said it felt like home straight away. Of course, it has grown a lot since then, but I feel more at home here than in Perth, we're not city folk, definitely prefer the country feel down here.

Job wise, best thing to do is pop into or phone places, Malc did that and it's how he got his job - and they didnt have a vacancy but took him on. So worthwhile, even if it just gets you something for the time being.

We found it harder to get a rental than in Perth, there are a lot of "no pets considered" properties down here, whereas in Perth most of them accepted pets. We looked at a couple before deciding on this one: the first was grotty, the second was OK but we prefered this one as it's out of town but handy (about five mins to Big W and the shopping forum) and it is very quiet, although the house is huge, much bigger than we really needed, but the pet factor was what swung it!

HTH
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:53 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

i don't know what you will think of this but we have never been to austraila allways wanted to go since i wass about 20 . now i am 37 know and thought i will go for it. don't want to look back in 20 years time and say i should have done it.should be no regrets, live life just the once.
we just have to try if it doesnt work we will start from scratch

i first found out about bunbury from my agent he stays there he got me
interested gave me brochures , web sites e.t.c. shoed me some suburbs eaton, dalellup e.t.c. will be hard to decide i suppose.

we have got 2 dogs hope that doesn't hold us back to much for getting a rental. will have to try and get a cheap rental at first take time don't want to waste have to watch the pennies.

you mention a part container what exactly happens with that is it jusyt i container shared with 2 peaple.

john
Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

hi

john
hi
just sent (last week) 15 teachest boxes - 600 quid with seven seas
they provided everything we just had to pack
good luck
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:36 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali south
hi
just sent (last week) 15 teachest boxes - 600 quid with seven seas
they provided everything we just had to pack
good luck
I assume that's 600 quid for all 15? Do you happen to know what the individual box rate is, and the dimensions of the boxes?

I don't have much to take but it will probably be just over the 46 kg limit for my prospective flights.

S
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I assume that's 600 quid for all 15? Do you happen to know what the individual box rate is, and the dimensions of the boxes?

I don't have much to take but it will probably be just over the 46 kg limit for my prospective flights.

S
We brought 5 tchest, cost us 350 pound, that was with Atlas removals, hope this helps. Denise
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

re the boxes - if you use the ones they upply, they should be export quality ones. If you get your own make sure they are extra strong - double or triple thickness cardboard, so old supermarket boxes aren't really recommended as they are too thin. These boxes have to survive a lot of occasions being moved about, remember.
Also - if you do go for supermarket ones - do NOT use ones that have held flowers/fruit/veg - AQIS may destroy both boxes and contents - another reason why new, export strength, ones are better.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Hi,
I am using seven seas too so it wil be interesting to see ho wothers have got on with them. I am taking more than 15 boxes and I havce been quoted around £1,000. Here is the web address that takes youdirectly to the prices page (or not, if my past experience of trying to post a link is anything to go by )

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/uk...a/aurates.html

Tracey
Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

task is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nicetask is just really nice

hi

john
Hi Jocky Boy
We had a rough quote from Bronel
Newcastle to Perth £1,800.
Give them a try,you have to load the 20ft container yourself and they deliver it to oz.
I think you then have to have it cleared by customs and pay for delivery.
These are a shipping company so you cut out the middle man
I have there address if you want it
Task
Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:30 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

cheers guys get on it right away, it all costs a fortune the dearest quote that i have had was £5.000 :scared: couldnt believe it god get a 40ft for that.

john..

Last edited by jocky boy; Nov 1st 2005 at 12:32 pm.