Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

Old May 11th 2013, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

I didn't realise you weren't permanent, but if you can hang on to get permanency set in place, I'm assuming that will give you permanency across Qld Gov services so that opens up quite a large vista for you - you stand a better chance of getting another public service job than if you apply as a non public servant. Well done on the permanency anyway!
Old May 11th 2013, 8:15 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
I didn't realise you weren't permanent, but if you can hang on to get permanency set in place, I'm assuming that will give you permanency across Qld Gov services so that opens up quite a large vista for you - you stand a better chance of getting another public service job than if you apply as a non public servant. Well done on the permanency anyway!
Not necessarily. I accept that things are slightly different now with Newman's austerity drive, but if we take that out of the equation the public sector actually prefers to recruit from the private sector.
Uxworthy identified this in his excellent analysis which he termed new managerialism.
Old May 11th 2013, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Not necessarily. I accept that things are slightly different now with Newman's austerity drive, but if we take that out of the equation the public sector actually prefers to recruit from the private sector.
Uxworthy identified this in his excellent analysis which he termed new managerialism.
Getting a public service job at the moment is like finding a gold nugget in Queensland, as I'm sure you know I'd actually go with Quoll, and say getting a job from the inside is easier [ certainly with us (Community Safety) the vast majority of jobs up to AO8 level are advertised as internal (Qld Govt) applicants only.
Old May 12th 2013, 1:38 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Getting a public service job at the moment is like finding a gold nugget in Queensland, as I'm sure you know I'd actually go with Quoll, and say getting a job from the inside is easier [ certainly with us (Community Safety) the vast majority of jobs up to AO8 level are advertised as internal (Qld Govt) applicants only.
I agree with you Pollyanna - that now because of Newman's culling of the public sector administration jobs are ring fenced for internal applicants only. The point I made was that prior to Newman's actions the public sector encouraged applications from the private sector.
My area just finished a recruitment drive on the 15th April for front line staff and applications were open to anyone.
Old May 12th 2013, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
I agree with you Pollyanna - that now because of Newman's culling of the public sector administration jobs are ring fenced for internal applicants only. The point I made was that prior to Newman's actions the public sector encouraged applications from the private sector.
My area just finished a recruitment drive on the 15th April for front line staff and applications were open to anyone.
Good to hear - maybe its the first sign of recovery, opening some jobs wider at last
Old May 12th 2013, 11:30 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Recruiting internally only is a big problem. While it appeases those internally who wish, and deserve, to progress, it also keeps stagnation of bad practise and discourages innovation and new ideas.
Its a bit reminiscent of the old Union controlled days when jobs were on a 'who you know' basis and nepotism was rife.
Old May 12th 2013, 11:32 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Recruiting internally only is a big problem. While it appeases those internally who wish, and deserve, to progress, it also keeps stagnation of bad practise and discourages innovation and new ideas.
Its a bit reminiscent of the old Union controlled days when jobs were on a 'who you know' basis and nepotism was rife.

Erm... This is Australia - nepotism and 'who you know' is SOP here...

S
Old May 12th 2013, 11:37 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

You're just bitter because you haven't got an uncle in State Government to get you a shoe in job
Old May 12th 2013, 11:38 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
You're just bitter because you haven't got an uncle in State Government to get you a shoe in job

Yup

S
Old May 12th 2013, 11:54 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

I just wish it was Eddie O'Beid...that way I could of made use of the Irish connection!
Old Dec 14th 2013, 1:20 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I've finally gone and done it! I'll keep you posted on my next move once my dates are official!!!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

If you really don't know what you can do then I'd suggest going for a business analyst role. You don't need to know anything or even get anything right to be good at it all you need to do is stick close to the technical lead of a project and do the documentation I.e. be a secretary. On the other hand you could be a project manager, better pay more exposed equally useless.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Looks like I've finally gone and done it! I'll keep you posted on my next move once my dates are official!!!
Don't forget you can do a bit of private tuition to tide you over as you go for whatever is your new focus.

As far as the corporate training game is concerned, it's fairly easy to come up with an offering and change hundreds and a thousand per person per course. If you wanted to address the lack of recognisable customer service in Australian business planning I've even got a great name for your offering - "KISS the Customer"
Old Dec 20th 2013, 5:44 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Alls good, I'll enjoy the downtime in the interim until my official start date.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:29 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
If you really don't know what you can do then I'd suggest going for a business analyst role. You don't need to know anything or even get anything right to be good at it all you need to do is stick close to the technical lead of a project and do the documentation I.e. be a secretary. On the other hand you could be a project manager, better pay more exposed equally useless.
Dependent on the environment you're working in, BA work can be interesting, very rewarding and lots of fun.

I'd rather die than become a PM. The money is pretty good though

Last edited by paulry; Dec 22nd 2013 at 2:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.