Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

Old May 5th 2013, 4:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

Ok, so I'm in my 13th year of Primary Teaching, and I'm not going to deny it, it's killing me. I'm exhausted, fed up with having to put in so much extra work, all of it! I'm in at 7am most mornings, sometimes not leaving until late into the afternoon, working at home in the evenings, and well, I have a one day weekend. (I AM NOT WANTING TO DEBATE ABOUT HOW EASY US TEACHERS GET IT, BECAUSE WE DON'T, SO PLEASE!)

I just need help trying to find a new direction, my health is suffering, and my life, well it could be so much better. I'd love a job where I can leave work, in work, anyone got any tips on where I could possibly start?

Jen xo

(PS I become an Australia Citizen on the 23rd May, so that might broaden the possibilities?! I also have 5 years experience as a part-time police officer, from when I lived back in Northern Ireland.)
Old May 5th 2013, 4:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUITTING TEACHING - Where do I start?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I just need help trying to find a new direction, my health is suffering, and my life, well it could be so much better. I'd love a job where I can leave work, in work, anyone got any tips on where I could possibly start?
You have to start by deciding what you want to do - what do you fancy trying?

Is there some career you've always wanted to do?

What are your skill sets?

Once you've decided on at least a general career direction, then you can start to look more closely - will you need to retrain? Will you need to go back to uni? Can you relate your current skills to the new career or are you starting afresh?
Old May 5th 2013, 4:58 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I've a book called 'WHAT COLOUR IS YOUR PARACHUTE?' which is apparently fab in helping you to choose a new direction, I just haven't had much time to read it yet!
Old May 5th 2013, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You're still a young chick so anything is possible - what do you WANT to do ( try the magic wand trick) then work from there to achieving it - what further skills will you need? If you decide to try for public service type positions you could see if you can get into admin via your current teaching position - go into policy or something like that in education. Your PR status will only be an issue for federal positions and as you become a citizen at the end of the month that's a non issue!

I second the "What colour is your parachute" suggestion, it's a good book! But you do need time and having had one lifetime in education, you have my sympathies! Mind you, I never did find an alternative which met your requirements! I moved out of education into the NFP sector and ended up doing weekends and evenings just the same LOL - but at least I used o be able to accrue enough TOIL time to take an star holiday every year!

Last edited by quoll; May 5th 2013 at 5:14 am.
Old May 5th 2013, 6:47 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so I'm in my 13th year of Primary Teaching, and I'm not going to deny it, it's killing me. I'm exhausted, fed up with having to put in so much extra work, all of it! I'm in at 7am most mornings, sometimes not leaving until late into the afternoon, working at home in the evenings, and well, I have a one day weekend. (I AM NOT WANTING TO DEBATE ABOUT HOW EASY US TEACHERS GET IT, BECAUSE WE DON'T, SO PLEASE!)

Jen xo

(PS I become an Australia Citizen on the 23rd May, so that might broaden the possibilities?! I also have 5 years experience as a part-time police officer, from when I lived back in Northern Ireland.)
As a former university lecturer, I know what you mean entirely about the extra work, unpaid, and the stress of the classroom, albeit it a different kind from primary school! I don't know about teachers, but university lecturers work all through the holidays, and many was the year I was marking papers all over Christmas. One year I was doing it on Christmas Eve. Unpaid, obviously.

Can't help with future direction, but good luck in your new choice!
Old May 5th 2013, 8:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there is always business type training - execs, PMs, etc.

Admittedly they are slightly less mature than what you are used to, but there is a distinct lack of homework to mark....
Old May 5th 2013, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
As a former university lecturer, I know what you mean entirely about the extra work, unpaid, and the stress of the classroom, albeit it a different kind from primary school! I don't know about teachers, but university lecturers work all through the holidays, and many was the year I was marking papers all over Christmas. One year I was doing it on Christmas Eve. Unpaid, obviously.

Can't help with future direction, but good luck in your new choice!
This is not strictly true, as you are paid a salary to cover this, rather than being on a wage and being paid overtime.

As an ex teacher, I sympathise with the feeling that you are not paid for working long hours to do the work that someone with a conscience feels they have to do. I got out of teaching, but it sucked me back in at a pre-school/special needs level. Now I have no job due to MS, and having been a teacher for 25 years with just a little break for maternity leave, I really don't know what I can do either, so good luck with your decision Jen and I hope it all works out.
Old May 5th 2013, 10:33 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
This is not strictly true, as you are paid a salary to cover this, rather than being on a wage and being paid overtime.

As an ex teacher, I sympathise with the feeling that you are not paid for working long hours to do the work that someone with a conscience feels they have to do. I got out of teaching, but it sucked me back in at a pre-school/special needs level. Now I have no job due to MS, and having been a teacher for 25 years with just a little break for maternity leave, I really don't know what I can do either, so good luck with your decision Jen and I hope it all works out.
Your hours are contractually set, like anyone else's. Working all over Christmas is outside of your hours and therefore unpaid. It does depend on how you choose to view it, as you point out. For me, this was a small problem compared with other issues closely associated with the education sector like stress, disrespect, depressed colleagues, poor treatment by support staff and, in my case, being surrounded by radical Marxists night and day...
Old May 6th 2013, 12:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Jen xo

I quit teaching when I left the UK in 2006 - I vowed I would never set foot in another class room again, and so far I have managed it. I had a good look at what my existing skills and experience could be used to leverage off of, and ended up doing a short course in Technical Writing. That in itself is pretty dull, but it certainly opened up doors to other potential careers - in particular industry based training and assessment. From there I've moved into Project Management and I am now doing my Change Management certification.

It's not easy, but the key is to identify what you can already do, and then try and find something allied to that to move forward with. Perhaps a Cert IV in Training and Assessment would be a good start. I did mine several years ago, and it was a walk in the park for a qualified teacher.

Your hours are contractually set, like anyone else's. Working all over Christmas is outside of your hours and therefore unpaid. It does depend on how you choose to view it, as you point out. For me, this was a small problem compared with other issues closely associated with the education sector like stress, disrespect, depressed colleagues, poor treatment by support staff and, in my case, being surrounded by radical Marxists night and day...

Love that comment

S
Old May 6th 2013, 12:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

It's not easy, but the key is to identify what you can already do, and then try and find something allied to that to move forward with.
This is good advice, indeed.

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Love that comment
S
Seriously, have you ever tried to make a Marxist laugh?
Old May 6th 2013, 2:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

This is good advice, indeed.

Seriously, have you ever tried to make a Marxist laugh?
How many Marxists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None. The bulb contains the seed of its own revolution.

Old May 6th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Jen xo

I think when work is affecting your health something has to give! You just have to step back and think about what work you would see yourself enjoying? Would you still work with children? I wish you luck in finding something.
Old May 6th 2013, 3:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How many Marxists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None. The bulb contains the seed of its own revolution.

Yeah, they wouldn't laugh at that...
Old May 6th 2013, 3:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, they wouldn't laugh at that...

You should have worn the ubiquitous Communist Party T-Shirt...

S
Old May 6th 2013, 10:18 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

What about CRT work? You could do permanent part time in a different career and a couple of days CRT? The ones we have come to our school love the freedom and that there's no meetings, planning etc.
I'm in a similar boat as an ES wanting to retrain and earn a decent crust!! Good luck Jen x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.