Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quit Melbourne? fed up after 11 weeks

Quit Melbourne? fed up after 11 weeks

Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quit Melbourne? fed up after 11 weeks

Originally Posted by Kim67
Me too - well born in Perth and brought up in Perth and Northern WA.
Commonwealth seemed surprised that there was one person who'd lived here all their life, so the poor dear will probably keel over now that there's two of us

I suspect that Dave's sitting back and enjoying the fuss
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having deja vu Weren't we here a few weeks back?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Commonwealth seemed surprised that there was one person who'd lived here all their life, so the poor dear will probably keel over now that there's two of us

I suspect that Dave's sitting back and enjoying the fuss
Yep, double trouble.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm having deja vu Weren't we here a few weeks back?
No, he'd only done four days than
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, he'd only done four days than
Ahh, ok. I was on my phone and it was being slow as, I didn't get a chance to search but plenty of chance to get confused.

Only advice is to either try somewhere else, like Brisbane. You're on your own, you're young, nothing to lose and plenty to gain if you find the right place or stay where you are workwise and try and get some positives out of the stay with better weather starting.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for some great replies everyone, its nice to see some with like minded ideas of the city and see some suggestions.

I have quit the crappy job south of the city now, it was definitely wrong for me. Unfortunately I fell ill straight after, the doc said stress might have lowered my immune system and I have picked up some kind of virus. Probably from 3+ hours commuting every day on the train/trams. So I have been suffering from a constant terrible head ache, unable to sleep, sneezing coughing, struggling to breathe or talk, I sound like a 90 year old smoker right now! and generally feeling like I have been rolled off a cliff. Hopefully the drugs the doc gave me will start to clear it up

A few people suggested Brisbane, but honestly my funds are starting to run low now and I couldn't finance another move in Australia with more uncertainty of not knowing when I could find a job. If I move the only one I could do now would be back to the uk and stay with family where I wouldnt have the rent costs again for awhile until I found another job.

Like others have said, I think my mistake was getting a place in the city, and whoever said its mainly asian students was exactly right, it made me chuckle, I was starting to think melb was 90% asians lol.

Like others said I think I am just not a city person, I would prefer a bit of countryside, a bit of green. But being in the tech business that normally means I end up working in citys and I liked the idea of walking to work and having fun to do at night so close by, I thought it would be good to give it a try.

I have maybe 2 months money left now, and then I am stuffed. unfortunately I am so ill right now I carnt job search, but I think what I might do is try and find work as quick as I can once I am able, if nothing turns up then I have no choice but to go back to the uk and rebuild my life.
If I can find melb work I dont think I would stay here for good, 6 months, maybe a year at the most.

I dont want to sound rude but honestly I dont know how people can live like this, crammed into tiny bedsits in concrete filling cabinets buildings.
I would much rather have a proper house, with the english countryside a walk away. oh well maybe one day.. one day
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by dave99
I dont want to sound rude but honestly I dont know how people can live like this, crammed into tiny bedsits in concrete filling cabinets buildings.
I would much rather have a proper house, with the english countryside a walk away. oh well maybe one day.. one day
There are lots of people out there who would freak if they had lots of green stuff around them. Can't think why but each to their own.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Neither can I, but you are filling the shoes of a chinese student right now so perhaps ask them.

The English countryside is on the other side of the world and you are not supposed to find that here. That said, I flew out of Melbourne yesterday, and I've never seen the countryside so green. It was pissing with rain and about 15 degrees. Made me think of flying out of Gatwick. Landed in Sydney hit to be hit by a wall of heat. Bizarre contrast - anyhow.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you want green, Dave, then give Canberra a go. Work might be a tad problematic there at the mo, though. OTOH, Britain continues to be beautiful and the blackberries this year have been amazing! Hope you feel better soon!
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:36 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you're ill Dave. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for some great replies everyone, its nice to see some with like minded ideas of the city and see some suggestions.

I have quit the crappy job south of the city now, it was definitely wrong for me. Unfortunately I fell ill straight after, the doc said stress might have lowered my immune system and I have picked up some kind of virus. Probably from 3+ hours commuting every day on the train/trams. So I have been suffering from a constant terrible head ache, unable to sleep, sneezing coughing, struggling to breathe or talk, I sound like a 90 year old smoker right now! and generally feeling like I have been rolled off a cliff. Hopefully the drugs the doc gave me will start to clear it up

A few people suggested Brisbane, but honestly my funds are starting to run low now and I couldn't finance another move in Australia with more uncertainty of not knowing when I could find a job. If I move the only one I could do now would be back to the uk and stay with family where I wouldnt have the rent costs again for awhile until I found another job.

Like others have said, I think my mistake was getting a place in the city, and whoever said its mainly asian students was exactly right, it made me chuckle, I was starting to think melb was 90% asians lol.

Like others said I think I am just not a city person, I would prefer a bit of countryside, a bit of green. But being in the tech business that normally means I end up working in citys and I liked the idea of walking to work and having fun to do at night so close by, I thought it would be good to give it a try.

I have maybe 2 months money left now, and then I am stuffed. unfortunately I am so ill right now I carnt job search, but I think what I might do is try and find work as quick as I can once I am able, if nothing turns up then I have no choice but to go back to the uk and rebuild my life.
If I can find melb work I dont think I would stay here for good, 6 months, maybe a year at the most.

You can live in green (proper countryside) in Melbourne but you need to commute possibly from the NW.

I am wondering / remembering where you came from in the UK.
I actually wonder that some of the people who make the worst mistakes in moving to Australian Capital cities are those from smaller towns (cities?) in the UK where they have already been serviced well by the combination of country side and work in small cities - Sheffield/ Leeds come to mind.

I come from London, and like the country so Melbourne is fine by me.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:43 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe while you are here and Summer is coming, go back-packing for a few months, use your remaining cash to get you started and work your way around Australia, make some new friends, see some new sights and then see what happens. You only live once.

With some new friends and a wider view of Australia, you might be surprised at what turns up.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Maybe while you are here and Summer is coming, go back-packing for a few months, use your remaining cash to get you started and work your way around Australia, make some new friends, see some new sights and then see what happens. You only live once.

With some new friends and a wider view of Australia, you might be surprised at what turns up.

When you are feeling better - say Sod it! and go. Put enough aside for a ticket to the UK just in case and then just pick a place and head off.

Just on that illness aspect, hate to be a wet blanket but a friend of mine moved to Melb from Perth May last year and immediately fell ill and remained so for nearly 12 months, off and on. As it was a virus, nothing helped except rest. Her whole department was effected, when one got better, another went down and so it continued. They had the building checked out for "sick building syndrome", always used anti bacterial wipes, was really really careful but to no avail. Hope this is not the case for you.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:41 am
Just Joined

glenn_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

11 weeks is a bit hard to judge things, when you move it's never going to be easy. also you've moved to Melbourne in Winter which isn't the best time to move
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Quit Melbourne? fed up after 11 weeks

Originally Posted by glenn_downunder
you've moved to Melbourne in Winter which isn't the best time to move
That depends on whether your primary aim is to live here or have a holiday here.

I reckon if you're living here winter is the very best time to move here - you can get all the crap with jobs, houses, buying a fridge etc etc sorted out and then once you're settled you can enjoy spring and summer without having to attend job interviews and traipse round open homes in 40 degree heat.

My 2 cents.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.