Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

quickest way out to oz for parents!!!!

Wikiposts

quickest way out to oz for parents!!!!

Old Apr 16th 2004, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default quickest way out to oz for parents!!!!

Hi All
Some of you may know, I recently went back to the UK to be with my mum, sadly she died. I brought my dad back to Oz with me for 3 months, now he wants to live out here aswell to be near us. What is the best visa to apply for that will get him hear as soon as possible?, we have only been here 11 months, so we know we can't help him until the 2 years is up, but that will give him time to sell the house etc.

Any help or advise would be great
thanks
yve
Old Apr 16th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

So sorry to hear about your mum Abergas i am glad your dad is with you in OZ now and hope you find a way to make it a full time arrangement.

Hopefully someone will have the answer for you.

Love to you and the family.

Tracie x
Old Apr 16th 2004, 8:41 pm
Badge

sounds like a 'positive' came out of the negative.

You seem to be coping well.

BM

xx

Old Apr 16th 2004, 8:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the answer Yve, but just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about your mum.
Hope your dad finds a way to stay.

Love
Pollyana
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quickest way out to oz for parents!!!!

Originally posted by abergas
Hi All
Some of you may know, I recently went back to the UK to be with my mum, sadly she died. I brought my dad back to Oz with me for 3 months, now he wants to live out here aswell to be near us. What is the best visa to apply for that will get him hear as soon as possible?, we have only been here 11 months, so we know we can't help him until the 2 years is up, but that will give him time to sell the house etc.

thanks
yve
Sorry about your mum.
There are options for your Father.
He could retire there fairly quickly on a 410 visa but would need the finances.
He could get a parent contributory visa but you would need to be there 2 years to sponsor him.He would also need to meet the balance of family test.He could be a 'last remaining relative' depending on your circumstances.The ordinary parent visa has a very long waiting list.
Unless he could qualify for the parent visa then remaining relative would not be an option either.
The 410 would be the best bet. Otherwise he would need to keep returning on a temp visa.
Others may know of different options.

Good luck

G
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:50 pm
Jeremy Jenkins

Just a few quick points:

- a parent cannot be sponsored as a remaining relative.

- Contributory Parent is the standard route for parents to get PR.

- other options (eg aged dependent relative, or an 'ordinary' aged parent visa application onshore, or even business visas) might be possible in a small number of cases but you'd need professional advice on these.

- the two year settlement requirement normally applies to sponsor for these visas. This can be reduced to 3 months if you're an Australian citizen who has lived for many years overseas, but forget it if a PR. Even if a citizen avails of this concession, there's an assurance of support to sort out that needs 2 years tax assessments at the appropriate income levels.

Originally posted by Grayling
He could be a 'last remaining relative' depending on your circumstances.The ordinary parent visa has a very long waiting list.
Unless he could qualify for the parent visa then remaining relative would not be an option either.
The 410 would be the best bet. Otherwise he would need to keep returning on a temp visa.
Others may know of different options.

Good luck

G

Old Apr 16th 2004, 10:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jeremy Jenkins
Just a few quick points:

- a parent cannot be sponsored as a remaining relative.

- other options (eg aged dependent relative, or an 'ordinary' aged parent visa application onshore, or even business visas) might be possible in a small number of cases but you'd need professional advice on these.

- the two year settlement requirement normally applies to sponsor for these visas. This can be reduced to 3 months if you're an Australian citizen who has lived for many years overseas, but forget it if a PR. Even if a citizen avails of this concession, there's an assurance of support to sort out that needs 2 years tax assessments at the appropriate income levels.
Thanks Jeremy for that clarification.
I was not aware about the 'last remaining relative rule'.
Contributory parent visas seem to go through quickly at present so way well be an option for Abergas in a couple of years but,as I understand it,he would need to meet the balance of family test.Is this correct?

G
Old Apr 16th 2004, 11:17 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by abergas
Hi All

thanks
yve
Very sorry to hear about your Mom, & I hope your Dad at least finds some contentment from being in Oz.

Is there anything to stop your Dad from just coming in on the usual 6 month (or is it 3?) tourist visa, & staying with you, then maybe having a hol back in the UK or long weekend in NZ, say, just to leave Oz & come back in again on another 6? month visa? If he needs his own place to live, couldn't he 'gift' some cash to you (which you could use to buy an 'investment property' or abigger one with s/c accomodation)?

Of course, I'm only suggesting this if the visa takes too long or cam't be done for some reason - getting it all done the official way is much the best option.

Good luck with it, anyway.

Anya.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 11:26 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jeremy Jenkins
How has this become the 'standard' route so quickly? Hasn't it only been available a few months? And at $26k per parent, it isn't a cheap option.

If it is now the standard option, does than mean that waiting times for the ordinary parent visa have been reduced? Current waiting period, for somebody applying tomorrow, is around 8 years.

Jane
Old Apr 17th 2004, 1:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The Contributory Parent visa option has only been available since 1 July 2003. Fairly quick (there's enough visas available to meet demand currently) - but high charges.

Standard parent visa has normal charges, but takes ages. Hard to say exactly how long someone applying today will take to get to visa grant, but it's likely to be many years.

Grayling - balance of family test applies for both standard and contributory parent visas.

Anya - a tourist visa can't be used to establish de-facto residence in Australia. If Immigration think someone is doing this, they are quite entitled to refuse entry.

Jeremy
Old Apr 17th 2004, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Yve
i don't know the answer to your questions just wanted to send my sincere condolescenes, hope that something can be worked out for your dad to be with you more often
thinking of you
rach xx