Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

quickest way to leave UK?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all
Default quickest way to leave UK?

Hello,

Me and mypartner are planning to go to Perth as soon as possible. Because of the high cost of setting up home in UK, it has been our plan for a while now to move to Oz where I have a few relatives.

We are planning to come over on a WHV (I am 25 and my boyfriend is 27) and we thought that we could come over first, see what jobs and accomodation we can get and go from there.

I am journalist and my boyfriend is a carpenter - we have been there beofre and loved the place, so hopefully, fingers crossed, things will be okay.

Can we ask though- as we are going on WHVs, how little money would be visable for us to take and get over there? As they say, we are young enough and want to explore!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thankyou,

Jeni and Paul
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quickest way to leave UK?

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Hello,

Me and mypartner are planning to go to Perth as soon as possible. Because of the high cost of setting up home in UK, it has been our plan for a while now to move to Oz where I have a few relatives.

We are planning to come over on a WHV (I am 25 and my boyfriend is 27) and we thought that we could come over first, see what jobs and accomodation we can get and go from there.

I am journalist and my boyfriend is a carpenter - we have been there beofre and loved the place, so hopefully, fingers crossed, things will be okay.

Can we ask though- as we are going on WHVs, how little money would be visable for us to take and get over there? As they say, we are young enough and want to explore!

Thankyou,

Jeni and Paul
Could have a visa within a year and not have to risk being able to find an employer who'll sponsor you! Why the rush if you're only young what's a year? Could use the year to save up?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

You could fly or use the tunnel they are both fast, leave the ferry its just a bit too slow
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

great they do a tunnel to oz now? i hate flying!!!

thanks for replies guys but i,d rather do a year in iraq than another year here! only worries are about finding work under WHVs it's so confusing too many options ........as i am watching 10 o clock news about all the illegal immigrants taking our jobs, especially trades!!

paul:curse:
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

I would go for the perm visa rather than just going on a working hol. If you don't meet a nice person to employ you, and then sponser you, you're back in the UK, and still waiting the year to get another visa.

Depends on whats most important - can you risk the fact that you might have to come back for a year or so whilst you're getting another visa? And how close are your relatives? They can poss sponser you for a visa...

How important is security and knowing where you're going to be in two years time is the question you really need to consider....
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

hmmm, great reply very logical i suppose, the relatives in perth are not actual blood family , but now we have another head spinner my girlfreinds mom was born in oz and moved over to the uk when she was 16...30 years ago and now im wondering if there is even more options i think my girlfreind maybe entilted to PR but god knows where this leaves me ... maybe she will bugger off without me!!!!!

paul
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

oh by the way, can you be sponsored by a non relative who isnt employing you

cheers

paul
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

cheers

paul
No

And

The Iraq statement isn't very funny. Have friend on active duty out there, so not as funny as you seem to think it is. Typical pommie my life must be better somewhere else quote!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thankyou,

Jeni and Paul
Be aware that you will find its expensive to set up home in Perth also - house prices are VERY high compared to wages and rents are going up and up. It may be better to wait until you have a bit of cash behind you first as it will give you more flexibility and options when you arrive.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:29 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

cheers

paul
Paul & Jeni - welcome!

WHV are very quick to obtain and are just that Working Holiday - they expect you to holiday. Its only valid for 1 year - or 2 if you do farm work. You can only work for one employeer for 6 months at a time. However it is the best option for finding an employeer to sponsor you for an either 457 or Permanent Employee Sponsored visa.

Secondly are you married? or classed as defacto? This will affect any permanent visa status other than WHV which both of you can obtain in your own rights. If you are defacto you have to prove it which could take a bit of effort. Unfortunaltely Paul has the better chance of being the sponsored person or applying for the PR.

The relatives in Perth can sponsor you too if they have a close enough link but that has to be researched and is a larger subject.

If Jeni's mum has a PR then it could be a good chance for her having it as well however she could have renounced that and need to obtain RRV's first.
If she does have PR ultimately then you need to prove you are Defacto in order to move on her PR. Otherwise you are back to work sponsored visas.

Personally - your easiest move - WHV - see if you like it, gives you the opportunity to work and look for sponsorship if you are any good - then you can go for PR etc etc.... Its alot easier to get work when you are here then in England! You may find Australia expensive. Perth is steep to live in now - expecially if you compare it to the cheaper parts of the uk

Good luck
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:04 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

For the defacto part of a skilled migrant visa, you only have to prove you have been living together for 12 months.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for replies much needed and appreciated, im swaying towards a WHV and coming out to see what i can find after people telling me it will be fairly easy to find a job as a carpenter, and my girlfreind would be willing to work anywhere until we get our feet on the ground.surley a couple with no ties etc would be able to survive on perth wages. would prob be coming over with around £7000 to get us started and we have a place to stay do you think it is feasible?

p.s. sorry about the ira quote it was ment light hearted and i feel for all those out there doing a brave job some people need to lighten up

cheers

paul
Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:26 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Thanks again for replies much needed and appreciated, im swaying towards a WHV and coming out to see what i can find after people telling me it will be fairly easy to find a job as a carpenter, and my girlfreind would be willing to work anywhere until we get our feet on the ground.surley a couple with no ties etc would be able to survive on perth wages. would prob be coming over with around £7000 to get us started and we have a place to stay do you think it is feasible?

p.s. sorry about the ira quote it was ment light hearted and i feel for all those out there doing a brave job some people need to lighten up

cheers

paul
£7000 might be a push if you are needing to buy a car, rent a place, and buy new stuff to go in it. Do-able but you wont be able to get everything straight away. Consider if you were moving to the UK with nothing with your lifestyle and wants would you be ok with 7 grand?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mark213
£7000 might be a push if you are needing to buy a car, rent a place, and buy new stuff to go in it. Do-able but you wont be able to get everything straight away. Consider if you were moving to the UK with nothing with your lifestyle and wants would you be ok with 7 grand?
Im going to Perth (hopefully) but with significantly less than £7000; although I have a job to go to (nurse) and initally 6weeks accomodation. Im sure plenty go and are ok, taking even less than I am.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Be aware that you will find its expensive to set up home in Perth also - house prices are VERY high compared to wages and rents are going up and up. It may be better to wait until you have a bit of cash behind you first as it will give you more flexibility and options when you arrive.
Yes it is very expensive to set up home in Perth. If the OP thinks they are emigrating for a cheaper life-style and cheaper houses, you need to think again about Perth..it's nice here but very very expensive.