Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick up-date...

Quick up-date...

Old Jul 4th 2006, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Default Quick up-date...

Hello fellow Ex-patters..I know I enjoyed reading peoples up-dates so this our first!!....We're now in our house in Mooloolaba after a good look around at different suburbs around Brisbane .. Manly,Redcliffe,Wynum,Scarborough,Buderim,Sippy Downs,Mountain Creek,Maroochydore etc (If you want info on a Brissy suburb,just ask as we looked at most of them I think ) Deep down I think the choice of settling down on the Sunshine Coast was made a while back,I think we just needed to see the other area's just to put our minds at rest.
The Sunshine Coast is great we've had probaly 1 grey day since we've been here( 2 weeks) the rest has been sunny warm (22/25C) days.We've bought a cracking 4x4(the second hand motor market here is very good,and bargains are there to find) people are great very helpful inc Real estate staff (L J Hooker) beaches are fab,river fishing here is excellent and the wildlife is unbelieveable parrots,pelicans all sorts!! are here all around you everyday!getting settled in is a tad harder..TV..phonelines..internet etc ,shopping is a breeze lots of different shops,malls much like the UK just with different names..Target,Coles,Woolworths,K-mart are all big stores and full of stuff you need when you first arrive.Medicare is straight forward and are easy to find in most malls. Schools seem pretty good,just watch out for catchment areas.Silly little things I've noticed are things like no pay and display anywhere! peoples dress sense up here is erm....odd, things aren't new there 'hot', beetroot on everything,Aussie's do like Poms,hillbillies(Aussie chav's) loud exhaust pipes on everything with 4 wheels,surfing is a religion ..allsorts of stuff it is spot on ..we love it here and hope to stay 4 good.Our next hurdle is finding work we've had offers and pointers so we hope to take a good look around and choose something we'd enjoy and give a good go.I think thats it, a bit vague I know but please ask if you want to know stuff and also if youre in the area it would be nice to meet up and meet folk as these dark nights are a bit mind you saying that.. I can see why there's so many sex shops!!! they are everywhere
Old Jul 4th 2006, 1:25 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Quick up-date...

good to hear your settling in...
good luck with jobs xx
Originally Posted by SBUK
Hello fellow Ex-patters..I know I enjoyed reading peoples up-dates so this our first!!....We're now in our house in Mooloolaba after a good look around at different suburbs around Brisbane .. Manly,Redcliffe,Wynum,Scarborough,Buderim,Sippy Downs,Mountain Creek,Maroochydore etc (If you want info on a Brissy suburb,just ask as we looked at most of them I think ) Deep down I think the choice of settling down on the Sunshine Coast was made a while back,I think we just needed to see the other area's just to put our minds at rest.
The Sunshine Coast is great we've had probaly 1 grey day since we've been here( 2 weeks) the rest has been sunny warm (22/25C) days.We've bought a cracking 4x4(the second hand motor market here is very good,and bargains are there to find) people are great very helpful inc Real estate staff (L J Hooker) beaches are fab,river fishing here is excellent and the wildlife is unbelieveable parrots,pelicans all sorts!! are here all around you everyday!getting settled in is a tad harder..TV..phonelines..internet etc ,shopping is a breeze lots of different shops,malls much like the UK just with different names..Target,Coles,Woolworths,K-mart are all big stores and full of stuff you need when you first arrive.Medicare is straight forward and are easy to find in most malls. Schools seem pretty good,just watch out for catchment areas.Silly little things I've noticed are things like no pay and display anywhere! peoples dress sense up here is erm....odd, things aren't new there 'hot', beetroot on everything,Aussie's do like Poms,hillbillies(Aussie chav's) loud exhaust pipes on everything with 4 wheels,surfing is a religion ..allsorts of stuff it is spot on ..we love it here and hope to stay 4 good.Our next hurdle is finding work we've had offers and pointers so we hope to take a good look around and choose something we'd enjoy and give a good go.I think thats it, a bit vague I know but please ask if you want to know stuff and also if youre in the area it would be nice to meet up and meet folk as these dark nights are a bit mind you saying that.. I can see why there's so many sex shops!!! they are everywhere
Old Jul 4th 2006, 1:25 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick up-date...

Glad you're settling in well.
Keep the updates coming. I love reading them
Julie. x
Old Jul 4th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Quick up-date...

Great post SB

We are heading out to the gold coast at the end of the month and I am feeling a little nervous. :scared: Your post helped me see again it can be done and even though it wont be easy it should be fun anyway.

thanks
Nicola
Old Jul 4th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

I'm trying to convince me OH to move to Noosa - as you say, surfing is a religion and it demands constant devotion!!! She's after Brissie though.
Nice post!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Glad you are settling in. Good luck with the job hunting.

Keep the updates coming as I love reading about how everyone is getting on.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:23 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Excellent update, really enjoyed reading it, please keep them coming.

Good luck on the job front.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:43 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see you are settling in well. Good to read positive updates
All the best for your job hunting.

Loz x
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Thanks guys And we're 100% proof..if we can do it, anybody can!...we are everyday 'farties' who wanted a better life abroad,you dont have to be minted or uni trained...just do it and go with the flow,we're looking back at the last 9 months and thinking even after our first 2 weeks here, it is worth every penny and all the emotions now,what you waiting for??
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:23 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post!
Glad you are settling in and enjoying it!
Tracey
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future

Thanks guys And we're 100% proof..if we can do it, anybody can!...we are everyday 'farties' who wanted a better life abroad,you dont have to be minted or uni trained...just do it and go with the flow,we're looking back at the last 9 months and thinking even after our first 2 weeks here, it is worth every penny and all the emotions now,what you waiting for??

farties ?