Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick UK Tax Question

Quick UK Tax Question

Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:12 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick UK Tax Question

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
When it comes to the end of June, the bank will provide you with a statement (some do this online) on how much interest you earned on your savings.

You put the interest amount into your tax return - and yes, you pay tax on it .
Oh my, but I've already paid tax on it when I got paid it lol
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:11 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

So where is the justification that when I provide for any periods of unemployment by saving, that the government be allowed to get at any interest I make on said savings, which isn't much!!!???
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
So where is the justification that when I provide for any periods of unemployment by saving, that the government be allowed to get at any interest I make on said savings, which isn't much!!!???
They won't tax your savings, only the interest earned, which is income.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:11 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at a loss of over £100 a month, not quite an income lololol
I don't think ATO are interested in your mortgage payments so to them, you are making a profit from it.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:36 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
I don't think ATO are interested in your mortgage payments so to them, you are making a profit from it.
They were interested last year, nothings changed since then!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:40 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

They were interested last year, nothings changed since then!
I thought it was interest on mortgage payments that was deductible, not the actual mortgage payments. I need to investigate.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:57 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
I thought it was interest on mortgage payments that was deductible, not the actual mortgage payments. I need to investigate.
I'm on an interest only mortgage so...
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just heard back from the HMRC having completed a tax return for 2010-2011 tax year. (We emigrated in October.) Firstly they tell me how much I owen them, OK fair enough....but then they say I have to pay them on account for next year when I will not have been in UK at all...the only income I have is my state pension and teachers pension....my understanding was that they would be taxed in Australia.
Does anyone have any experience about this?
Julie
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julian927
I have just heard back from the HMRC having completed a tax return for 2010-2011 tax year. (We emigrated in October.) Firstly they tell me how much I owen them, OK fair enough....but then they say I have to pay them on account for next year when I will not have been in UK at all...the only income I have is my state pension and teachers pension....my understanding was that they would be taxed in Australia.
It's the HMRC computer that has worked out that you need to pay on account for next year ... the computer does not know/understand that you have left and that next year your state and teachers pension will be taxed in Australia.

You will have to write to HMRC so that a "human being" looks at it - and then re-sets your record in the computer. As for the address to write to: Your latest assessment notice from them should have the address of the HMRC office that deals with your tax affairs.