Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick Question. Is there an Ikea in NZ

Quick Question. Is there an Ikea in NZ

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Quick Question. Is there an Ikea in NZ

Is there an ikea in NZ.
I remember reading some posts, but may have got mixed up with Australia.

Paul
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quick Question. Is there an Ikea in NZ

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
Is there an ikea in NZ.

Paul
don't think so but there are several 'Freedom' shops which are similar.

Simon
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that Simon

Paul
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

No IKEA but Freedom Furniture is OK but not quite as cheap.

Check out http://www.freedomfurniture.co.nz/

Its cheaper to ship than replace so I'd stock up before you arrive
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.
Looks like I have some dismantling of my childrens furniture to do before we come out.

Paul
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there an ikea in NZ.

Paul
No Ikea It has however made it to Oz so maybe one day it will make it across the pond!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky there's no Ikea in NZ. You won't get ripped off for buying that Swedish crap.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
You're lucky there's no Ikea in NZ. You won't get ripped off for buying that Swedish crap.
As Pastor Flaps would obviously like one, what's the point of your post? Why write something like that where the only purpose is to put somebody else or what they like down.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Yes, Ikea is much needed in NZ - going on their web site just isn't the same and despite what people say - Freedom Furniture can't hold a candle to it ! Sob
Old Jul 24th 2003, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree completely with Sashimi - if you don't have any value to add to the thread then don't bother littering the site with drivel like this.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sashimi
As Pastor Flaps would obviously like one, what's the point of your post? Why write something like that where the only purpose is to put somebody else or what they like down.
You're right, sorry. It's just that we've had bad experiences with their stuff, from sofa covers that fade after 1 wash (& cost 100 quid to replace) to a top of the range mattress that is knackered after a year. In my opinion they sell, apart from a few exceptions, low quality, shoddy & overpriced goods.

No offence intended.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.
Looks like I have some dismantling of my childrens furniture to do before we come out.

Paul
My shippers are coming to put my furniture in storage in 3 weeks and tomorrow I'm off to Ikea to buy a table and chairs, some lights and 3 bar stools. We'll get them home, unpack them and then get the shippers to pack them up again ready for their new home in NZ!!!

Buy before you go! It won't cost that much extra to ship them and at least you know that you've got what you want/need at the price you want.

Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

You're right, sorry. It's just that we've had bad experiences with their stuff, from sofa covers that fade after 1 wash (& cost 100 quid to replace) to a top of the range mattress that is knackered after a year. In my opinion they sell, apart from a few exceptions, low quality, shoddy & overpriced goods.

No offence intended.

No probs, as far as I'm concerned.

We've bought lots of stuff from Ikea and whereas I don't agree that it's shoddy I do find that it's obviously not the highest quality around. But a lot of it I find good quality for the money it costs. I don't expect the best quality for that price, but it serves our purpose and I'm probably just too stingy to go out and buy really expensive stuff in a "proper" furniture shop as a lot of it is ridiculously overpriced and you seem to pay just as much for the name as the thing itself.

sashimi
Old Jul 25th 2003, 6:59 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sashimi
No probs, as far as I'm concerned.

We've bought lots of stuff from Ikea and whereas I don't agree that it's shoddy I do find that it's obviously not the highest quality around. But a lot of it I find good quality for the money it costs. I don't expect the best quality for that price, but it serves our purpose and I'm probably just too stingy to go out and buy really expensive stuff in a "proper" furniture shop as a lot of it is ridiculously overpriced and you seem to pay just as much for the name as the thing itself.

sashimi
I have a bit of an ongoing battle with my wife, who wants to turn our home into an IKEA showroom. I keep telling her that antiques cost only 25% more, last 10 times as long and keep their value. But she won't have any of that, thinking that modern style and comfort are somehow more important than durability and getting our money back when we die. Good job chalk and cheese attract!

My argument was a wee bit weakened when I sold my bachelor's flat in the UK this year and sent the UK antiques off to the local saleroom. I got back approx 2/6, less commission.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I have a bit of an ongoing battle with my wife, who wants to turn our home into an IKEA showroom. I keep telling her that antiques cost only 25% more, last 10 times as long and keep their value. But she won't have any of that, thinking that modern style and comfort are somehow more important than durability and getting our money back when we die. Good job chalk and cheese attract!

My argument was a wee bit weakened when I sold my bachelor's flat in the UK this year and sent the UK antiques off to the local saleroom. I got back approx 2/6, less commission.
Well I'd rather buy antiques any day, have some we bought ourselves and some inherited. But the old sofa, 19th century, is just not very comfortable, you somehow keep slipping off and landing on the floor if you try to lounge on it, and I've never seen antique bookshelves the size we need for all our books, and the Ikea ones are not bad.

Salesrooms can be quite tricky. Sold some of my mum's jewelry when she died and really didn't get very much, not nearly as much as the equivalent stuff sells for in the shops.

BTW Don, did you ever take up yodeling over there in Austia??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.