Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick question - re medicals

Quick question - re medicals

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:58 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Quick question - re medicals

In the medical checks, do the docs do a pregnancy test/or check your wee to see if there are signs of pregnancy?

Last edited by Claire&Richard; Sep 22nd 2006 at 1:16 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:27 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question - re medicals

Originally Posted by Claire&Richard
In the medical checks, do the docs do a pregnancy test/or check your wee to see if there are signs of pregnancy?
No - but I think you would have to declare that you are as part of your application process.

Andrew
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

No but if you are pregnant then you shoudn't have x-rays done.

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:55 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Hokey, thanks guys..
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

marknclaire is an unknown quantity at this point

correct, i had mine done, claire was pregnant and they accepted our medicals without her xrays, just got our doctor to state "pregnant xray not performed " and sent that with everyhting else. accepted without question.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Chest xray OK tho.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:46 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Chest xray OK tho.
I don't think they will perform the chest xray if you are pregnant though.

I'm surprised to read that marknclaire didn't have a problem with no having a chest xray - I thought australia was very hot on TB etc and insist on the chest xray
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I don't think they will perform the chest xray if you are pregnant though.

I'm surprised to read that marknclaire didn't have a problem with no having a chest xray - I thought australia was very hot on TB etc and insist on the chest xray

Chest xrays ARE performed when pregnant, but only when indicated ie mother is unwell.

They are not necessarily contraindicated in pregnant women, just usually avoided.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:08 am
C&R

Chest xrays ARE performed when pregnant, but only when indicated ie mother is unwell.

They are not necessarily contraindicated in pregnant women, just usually avoided.
Sorry, I'm not the brightest tool in the shed - but let me get this straight, can you have the x-rays done if your pregnant or not?
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:18 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm not the brightest tool in the shed - but let me get this straight, can you have the x-rays done if your pregnant or not?
What about calling the panel doctor you were intending to use and asking them?
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:29 am
C&R

Originally Posted by chels
What about calling the panel doctor you were intending to use and asking them?
Thanks Chels, of course I will do, but am just asking what other peeps have done [I don't know if I am defo preggers yet, am just enquireing thats all] : )
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're not being thick - promise. Medicine is not black & white. The answer is "it depends".

You are unlikely to have a CHEST xray purely for immigration purposes.

If you are unwell or have chest signs (funny sounds/lack of sounds when listening with a stethoscope), they may suggest u have one.

I take it that if you are pregnant then u r less than 10 weeks - this is the riskiest time for developmental problems....xrays are very unlikely to cause problems to the fetus, but people prefer not to do them at this stage due to the risk/hassle of being sued if something is found wrong with the baby. If the mum is unwell, then her health will come first and if an xray is needed, it's needed.

Summary:
CHEST xrays are done when pregnant when medically indicated. Your situation is not "medical".
PELVIC xrays r not unless it's an emergency/trauma.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:48 am
C&R

Originally Posted by marknclaire
correct, i had mine done, claire was pregnant and they accepted our medicals without her xrays, just got our doctor to state "pregnant xray not performed " and sent that with everyhting else. accepted without question.
When did you apply for the visa, and what visa did you apply for?

I gathered that Dimia would put the visa application on hold if you could not perform the xrays due to being pregnant, and that the whole visa app process proceeded again once the baby was born.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:53 am
C&R

You're not being thick - promise. Medicine is not black & white. The answer is "it depends".

You are unlikely to have a CHEST xray purely for immigration purposes.

If you are unwell or have chest signs (funny sounds/lack of sounds when listening with a stethoscope), they may suggest u have one.

I take it that if you are pregnant then u r less than 10 weeks - this is the riskiest time for developmental problems....xrays are very unlikely to cause problems to the fetus, but people prefer not to do them at this stage due to the risk/hassle of being sued if something is found wrong with the baby. If the mum is unwell, then her health will come first and if an xray is needed, it's needed.

Summary:
CHEST xrays are done when pregnant when medically indicated. Your situation is not "medical".
PELVIC xrays r not unless it's an emergency/trauma.
Thanks Ozzydoc. The reason I thought you needed a chest xray was because I have received the xray forms, stating they need to xray the chest for TB. I presumed I would need to have them done when I have my meds next week. I was in a road accident not so long ago and hit my head pretty badly, when I got my head xrayed the radiologist put one of those lead aprons around me, covering my lower regions, this seems to be standard procedure here and he did not even ask if I was pregnant or not. Does this apron reduce the risks if your pregnant?
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:38 am
Mozzie magnet

I don't know if this will help, but I found this in a guide produced by the Immigration Rights and Advice Centre in Sydney:

Pregnant women who do not want to have an x-ray must wait until their baby is born and they have the x-ray before their application will be processed unless they can show good reason why their travel to Australia should not be delayed. This will only be possible if they have lived for at least 5 years in an area where there is a low risk of getting tuberculosis and a clinical examination shows no previous or current history of health problems. They will usually be required to give an undertaking to have an x-ray once the baby is born.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.