Reload this Page >

quick question on income tax

quick question on income tax

Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quick question on income tax

Hi,

I am finishing my job in the UK on 21st Dec, before moving to start a new job in Sydney on 28th Jan. Presumably I can reclaim some of the income tax I have paid to date as I will not be working right to the end of the tax year?

When and how do I claim this back? Is there an easy way I can roughly work out how much it will be (only the nearest £k)?

Dave
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice
Default Re: quick question on income tax

Originally Posted by bigdave764
Hi,

I am finishing my job in the UK on 21st Dec, before moving to start a new job in Sydney on 28th Jan. Presumably I can reclaim some of the income tax I have paid to date as I will not be working right to the end of the tax year?

When and how do I claim this back? Is there an easy way I can roughly work out how much it will be (only the nearest £k)?

Dave
Hi Dave,

I think from memory it's a P85 from the tax office. Just take your total that you will have earned upto when you leave take off your allowances and calculate the tax owing then compare that to what you have actually paid.
I got some back when we went to Canada a few years back.

Simon.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nonresidents/fagp85.shtml
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Wendy - this is really useful.

Cheers,

Dave