Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick question - Do Aussies need visa for France?

Wikiposts

Quick question - Do Aussies need visa for France?

Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough
Question Quick question - Do Aussies need visa for France?

Hopefully someone can help me - My Dad (who's Australian) is over from Australia next week and we're planning a daytrip to France - will he need a visa? I've checked the Australian Embassy in France's website, which suggests that generally it is not needed for visits less than 90 days, but just says to check up to date info before leaving - BUT i can't find any 'up to date' info anywhere - anyone know for sure?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:17 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question - Do Aussies need visa for France?

Originally Posted by Sammy-G
Hopefully someone can help me - My Dad (who's Australian) is over from Australia next week and we're planning a daytrip to France - will he need a visa? I've checked the Australian Embassy in France's website, which suggests that generally it is not needed for visits less than 90 days, but just says to check up to date info before leaving - BUT i can't find any 'up to date' info anywhere - anyone know for sure?
I went to The Netherlands form Heathrow when I was over in 2003- no problem as it is EU. Never had to go to pasport control on the way out either. Really confused immigration girl when we come back. Passport showed me not leaving the country since arrival 3 weeks before. Should be the same with France if it hasn't been kicked out of the EU yet. Cannot see a problem. Will just have to return through "Other" customs desk, not EU residents one by himself.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 17th 2006 at 8:20 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I went to The Netherlands when I was over in 2003- no problem as it is EU. Should be the same with France if it hasn't been kicked out of the EU yet. Cannot see a problem. Will just have to return through "Other" customs desk, not EU residents one by himself.
Thanks - I'm sure I'm just being stupidly over-cautious, but just wanna make sure his visit goes without any hitches!

Cheers!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

it's really best to check it with the french embassy, cause last year my friend sister came to england with her none europen passport, they book a day trip to france, but was not allowed into the country, because she didnt have the visa, and they said she had to apply from her home country.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
it's really best to check it with the french embassy, cause last year my friend sister came to england with her none europen passport, they book a day trip to france, but was not allowed into the country, because she didnt have the visa, and they said she had to apply from her home country.
Thanks for that - where is your sister from?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:29 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I'm sure I'm just being stupidly over-cautious, but just wanna make sure his visit goes without any hitches!

Cheers!
The OH had her friend who flew us back in the commercial jet, stick his head around corner in arrivals just in case it got complicated. I wasn't sure myself then either.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - where is your sister from?
not my sister my friend sister, she was south american.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:31 pm

she was south american.
That's probably why.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Bloke
That's probably why.
it would best for her, just to check it with the french embassy, they are only phone call away.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

not my sister my friend sister, she was south american.
Sorry apologies, need to read posts better! I think the difference is that Australians are subject to soemthing called the Schengen Agreement which generally allows them entry into specific European countries. But, yes you are right it is always best to check - I've emailed the Australian Embassy in France, so will hopefully get a definite answer from them.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:37 pm

it would best for her, just to check it with the french embassy, they are only phone call away.
We were going to France on the last trip in January, but due to unavailability of the pilot due to work we couldn't go. No mention of visa needed if leaving from EU(United Kingdom) member country.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry apologies, need to read posts better! I think the difference is that Australians are subject to soemthing called the Schengen Agreement which generally allows them entry into specific European countries. But, yes you are right it is always best to check - I've emailed the Australian Embassy in France, so will hopefully get a definite answer from them.

Thanks!
I don't think an Aussie national needs a visa for France:

http://travel.excite.co.uk/travel/gu...saRequirements

It seems as though Aussies have more freedom to travel than us Brits!

eg...an Aussie national doesn't need a visa to visit Britain...but a Brit needs a visa to visit Oz!

So whats that all about??

TC
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I don't think an Aussie national needs a visa for France:

http://travel.excite.co.uk/travel/gu...saRequirements

It seems as though Aussies have more freedom to travel than us Brits!

eg...an Aussie national doesn't need a visa to visit Britain...but a Brit needs a visa to visit Oz!

So whats that all about??

TC
Excellent cheers TC and The Bloke!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/venir/visas/index.gb.html

For an Aussie, on an Aussie, passport, for a holiday of less than 3 months -

"You do not require a visa to enter France"

Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!

I don't know the rules now but Australian passport holders used to need a visa to go to France. My uncle once visited the UK without his British passport - only his Aussie one and had a real hassle when he went to France. That was many years ago though.

Rudi
x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.