Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick q re having a baby on a 457

Quick q re having a baby on a 457

Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Quick q re having a baby on a 457

Hi guys
Sorry I've not been on here much recently but I need to pick your collective brains for a minute, if that's ok.

We (DH, DD & I) are over here on a 457 visa. *IF* I was to have another baby, would it be covered by this visa or would it get deported Just want to check before I ditch my "pill" and throw caution to the wind LOL

Thanks in advance

TillyG
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:39 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick q re having a baby on a 457

Originally Posted by TillyG
Hi guys
Sorry I've not been on here much recently but I need to pick your collective brains for a minute, if that's ok.

We (DH, DD & I) are over here on a 457 visa. *IF* I was to have another baby, would it be covered by this visa or would it get deported Just want to check before I ditch my "pill" and throw caution to the wind LOL

Thanks in advance

TillyG
Tilly
No worries - you just have to sort out a new visa label for the bub.
It cost my work about $400 as they got their immigration agent to sort it out.
BTW - cannot be done until bub gets its own passport...

Steve

Happy pill throwing!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevemich
Tilly
No worries - you just have to sort out a new visa label for the bub.
It cost my work about $400 as they got their immigration agent to sort it out.
BTW - cannot be done until bub gets its own passport...

Steve

Happy pill throwing!
Great - thanks Steve Passport-wise - did you get your new one a British passport from the Embassy (or whatever) here? Or did you have to send all the gumpf off to the UK?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:45 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Great - thanks Steve Passport-wise - did you get your new one a British passport from the Embassy (or whatever) here? Or did you have to send all the gumpf off to the UK?
Got it through the British High Comission here in Oz
Cost a bit more than normal I think (cannot remember how much at the moment), and we could only get it for 1 year!
This was because we did not have anyone here who knew us for 2 years (part of the declaration) we could only have the passport for 1 year. After that time (if we are still in Oz) we will have to do it all again so the people who signed it this time will have known us for in excess of 2 years... Daft if you ask me!

Sorry if that is not very clear!!

RNS hospital (public bit) was very good btw!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Got it through the British High Comission here in Oz
Cost a bit more than normal I think (cannot remember how much at the moment), and we could only get it for 1 year!
This was because we did not have anyone here who knew us for 2 years (part of the declaration) we could only have the passport for 1 year. After that time (if we are still in Oz) we will have to do it all again so the people who signed it this time will have known us for in excess of 2 years... Daft if you ask me!

Sorry if that is not very clear!!

RNS hospital (public bit) was very good btw!
Thanks (and thanks for the good report of RNS too ) (that's something, we've got private cover - does that mean we HAVE to go private? As I've not heard good things re RNS private LOL)

Fortunately, J (DH's boss) has known DH for years and years so hopefully he'd be able to sign for us. That said, by the time this prospective bub is born, we'll have been here over 20months so almost long enough
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:24 am
Full Throttle

Thanks (and thanks for the good report of RNS too ) (that's something, we've got private cover - does that mean we HAVE to go private? As I've not heard good things re RNS private LOL)

Fortunately, J (DH's boss) has known DH for years and years so hopefully he'd be able to sign for us. That said, by the time this prospective bub is born, we'll have been here over 20months so almost long enough
No worries - glad to help.

I am sure Mich can give you all the info you need. She'll drop you a line about meeting up in a few weeks as my parents will be out of my (thinning) hair by then!!

Steve
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

No worries - glad to help.

I am sure Mich can give you all the info you need. She'll drop you a line about meeting up in a few weeks as my parents will be out of my (thinning) hair by then!!

Steve
Okey dokey - thanks a million
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

- You should be able to secure a 457 visa for baby by simply sending a certified copy of:

1. The existing main applicant's visa label ,

2. Baby's birth certificate, and

3. The ID page from baby's UK passport

to your local DIMA office

- UK passports for those in Australia can be applied using the form at this webpage:
http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ault.asp?id=46

Best regards.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
- You should be able to secure a 457 visa for baby by simply sending a certified copy of:

1. The existing main applicant's visa label ,

2. Baby's birth certificate, and

3. The ID page from baby's UK passport

to your local DIMA office

- UK passports for those in Australia can be applied using the form at this webpage:
http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ault.asp?id=46

Best regards.
Great, thanks

Birth Cert - I'd register it at the embassy wouldn't I? Seeing as it would be British and not Aussie (because of the visa)?

Sorry, getting way ahead of myself here, we've not even started trying yet LOL
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:34 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd have an Australian birth certificate given to you if baby was born in Australia. That would (or should) suffice for the purpose of a 457 visa.

Not sure as to whether registering baby's birth with the British High Commission is required or desirable - I defer to others on this issue.

Over to you to do what you have to do!

Best regards.

Great, thanks

Birth Cert - I'd register it at the embassy wouldn't I? Seeing as it would be British and not Aussie (because of the visa)?

Sorry, getting way ahead of myself here, we've not even started trying yet LOL
Old Nov 10th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Alan

Hopefully Steve/Mich will be back on and can let me know what they did re birth certs when their little one was born earlier this year. I know that any future kids won't be classed as Aussie because of our Visa status, so we shall see.

Ah, I would go and get some practice in but the critical component has scored free tickets to see U2 tonight - sucks!
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Not sure as to whether registering baby's birth with the British High Commission is required or desirable - I defer to others on this issue.
British consular birth registration is not available in Australia. It is in most countries but there are a few exceptions, including Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

In cases where child is not British automatically, it can be registered in some instances with the Home Office as a British citizen but that is a different process and doesn't apply to most.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
British consular birth registration is not available in Australia. It is in most countries but there are a few exceptions, including Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

In cases where child is not British automatically, it can be registered in some instances with the Home Office as a British citizen but that is a different process and doesn't apply to most.
Bugger... so how do I register the child then? It would need to be registered as British to get a British passport wouldn't it?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger... so how do I register the child then? It would need to be registered as British to get a British passport wouldn't it?
It does not need to be registered as British if it acquires British citizenship automatically (read what I said again).

Just apply for a passport.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
It does not need to be registered as British if it acquires British citizenship automatically (read what I said again).

Just apply for a passport.
Ah OK. So it would be British automatically because me & DH are? Sorry - it's very late and I'm feeling a bit blonde (long day with a 3yr old at the zoo... I'm frazzled!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.