Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick, Free & Easy Way To Get Rid of Stuff...

Quick, Free & Easy Way To Get Rid of Stuff...

Old May 15th 2006, 5:16 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick, Free & Easy Way To Get Rid of Stuff...

We were told about freecycle last night by a neighbour and I decided to take a look at it. We're doing a car boot this weekend, but we've got quite a few other bits and pieces which are too big to take and which wouldn't get much on eBay.

I decided to try it out so I joined the local group, listed an item we want rid off, and someone's coming to take it away tonight!!!

So, if you've not got the time/energy/inclination to do eBay or car boots and don't want to pay for a skip - get onto freecycle.

Gill
Old May 15th 2006, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future
Default Re: Quick, Free & Easy Way To Get Rid of Stuff...

Hi
Yes we have one in our area it is great, in fact I am a member of a few surrounding areas to There is a swapshop attached to them as well which is great for items that are just to valuable to give away
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swapshopnw

Originally Posted by herrchook
We were told about freecycle last night by a neighbour and I decided to take a look at it. We're doing a car boot this weekend, but we've got quite a few other bits and pieces which are too big to take and which wouldn't get much on eBay.

I decided to try it out so I joined the local group, listed an item we want rid off, and someone's coming to take it away tonight!!!

So, if you've not got the time/energy/inclination to do eBay or car boots and don't want to pay for a skip - get onto freecycle.

Gill
Old May 15th 2006, 5:27 pm
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

We were told about freecycle last night
I tried to post about freecycle myself yesterday, but my 'net connection dropped just as I was about to post.
I've been using it myself for about 8mths. it's very good for getting rid of stuff. Not so good for finding stuff - but I did get a laptop once

One thing I will say if you're giving - give everyone a fair go and wait for the digest readers to get their daily digest before you decide who to give your item to - 'fair go' is, I believe, enshrined in Aussie law after all!
Old May 15th 2006, 5:43 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike & Zoe
I tried to post about freecycle myself yesterday, but my 'net connection dropped just as I was about to post.
I've been using it myself for about 8mths. it's very good for getting rid of stuff. Not so good for finding stuff - but I did get a laptop once

One thing I will say if you're giving - give everyone a fair go and wait for the digest readers to get their daily digest before you decide who to give your item to - 'fair go' is, I believe, enshrined in Aussie law after all!
Good point about waiting for the digest - hadn't thought of that.

Our one also says not to be alone when people come to collect.

Gill
Old May 15th 2006, 6:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - member here too - plan to offload all the furniture we're not shipping through them. So much better than skip or tip
Old May 15th 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Gill
I've seen this and thought about joining as there's one near here. I'm curious how it works... how do you decide who to give to if you don't just give it to the first prson who wants something?
Old May 15th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future

Umm
That is the hardest part. I run the local one for us and we just had a woman giving away all her ex's things, he had cheated on her poor thing. She told me that she has 800 emails for one of her items, now how on this earth do you choose who to give it to.
Some people do a lucky dip

Originally Posted by suzimc
I've seen this and thought about joining as there's one near here. I'm curious how it works... how do you decide who to give to if you don't just give it to the first prson who wants something?
Old May 15th 2006, 7:34 pm
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzimc
how do you decide who to give to if you don't just give it to the first prson who wants something?
The eternal question...
I would advise never just giving to the first person that asks. That person is rarely the most needy or the most deserving.
A good tip is to just sit back for a couple of days and let the emails roll in. Then, dependent on the number of mails you receive, you can either do a 'lucky dip', pick the person who lives closest to you (charity begins at home, after all), or choose the most deserving. As a rule I try to avoid giving to anyone who I think is just trying to make a quick buck by selling it on - I'd sooner give to a charity shop.
At the end of the day though, it's the givers decision who to give to and there are as many theories about who to give to as there are givers!
Old May 15th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

This looks similar to the Aussie one my friends in Melbourne use- they always find someone to take their things away!

I tried using [email protected] but no takers so I'll have a look at the Guildford and Surrey heath freecycle to see if its different.
Thanks for the link
Old May 15th 2006, 8:35 pm
Sunny Sydney

The item I listed this afternoon is no longer taking up a big space in my garage AND, I've been told I can have the bike I asked after earlier on too

It felt so much better to give someting away to someone than put it in landfill. I will still eBay anything I can make a few £s from, but if anyone wants to resell anything I put on freecycle then good one them.

Thanks for the info on who to give the items too, very helpful.

This is fun
Old May 15th 2006, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

The item I listed this afternoon is no longer taking up a big space in my garage AND, I've been told I can have the bike I asked after earlier on too

It felt so much better to give someting away to someone than put it in landfill. I will still eBay anything I can make a few £s from, but if anyone wants to resell anything I put on freecycle then good one them.

Thanks for the info on who to give the items too, very helpful.

This is fun
Well done!
I have just received the 'acceptance to group' notice for Guildford- surreyheath accept members immediately - shame we ditched some items at the tip earlier this year-
I'm sure there's more 'stuff' to recycle in the loft
Old May 16th 2006, 7:10 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by helinuk
Well done!
I have just received the 'acceptance to group' notice for Guildford- surreyheath accept members immediately - shame we ditched some items at the tip earlier this year-
I'm sure there's more 'stuff' to recycle in the loft
When I joined our one, my messages were being processed via the mod for a little while too.
Old May 16th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your local SVP (St Vincent de Paul) society will also be greatful for furniture. May be in phone book or ask at catholic church for contact. Many will collect. You can be sure the stuff will go (free) to people in need then. Most charity shops cannot cope with large items.