Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick CGT Question....

Quick CGT Question....

Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick CGT Question....

I guess I was trying to bite off too much with my last thread !!! can anyone help me with this quickie please.

SCENARIO:- I have a flat in the uk that I have never lived in, that I rent out & tell the IR about, I then move abroad for x years, I then come back to the uk & I move into the flat for 6 months +

QUESTION:- What CGT is due on the disposal of the flat ?

Am I correct in thinking its calculated on the amount of time the flat is rented MINUS a 'Last 3 years' allowance for having the flat as my Main Residence ?

Does this 3year allowance still apply if i only actually live there for 6months ?

Thanks for any help,

R
Old Nov 27th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick CGT Question....

Originally posted by sydneybound
I guess I was trying to bite off too much with my last thread !!! can anyone help me with this quickie please.

SCENARIO:- I have a flat in the uk that I have never lived in, that I rent out & tell the IR about, I then move abroad for x years, I then come back to the uk & I move into the flat for 6 months +

QUESTION:- What CGT is due on the disposal of the flat ?

Am I correct in thinking its calculated on the amount of time the flat is rented MINUS a 'Last 3 years' allowance for having the flat as my Main Residence ?

Does this 3year allowance still apply if i only actually live there for 6months ?

Thanks for any help,

R

This is not straightforward either ! It depends on how long you leave the UK for. There are complex rules re residency which decide the tax regime - if you are going to return within 5 years you need to look into this as well as the CGT calculation.

:lecture:
Old Nov 27th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Enzo&Chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney

The tax issues involved are vry complex. As I said on a previous post , you have two tax offfices and you have to satisfy them both. There are *Many* issues involved. Such are , Are you married, your income, views on Exchange rate movements.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself , but this issue is far to complicated for a board.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:35 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a simple enough solution for the UK CGT liability. Stay abroad for at least 5 complete tax years and you won't be liable to UK CGT. You could sell the property at any time, ie you don't have to wait until the 5 years is up.