British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quick Age Check (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quick-age-check-295445/)

Widdi Apr 9th 2005 7:06 pm

Quick Age Check

They all say Australia is a young persons country as the UK is for the over 50's ---what is your position?

Brisben Apr 9th 2005 7:11 pm

Re: Quick Age Check

Originally Posted by Widdi
They all say Australia is a young persons country as the UK is for the over 50's ---what is your position?

why dont you find out . social demographics state the Uk is becoming an older population. That is why there is so much empahisis on pensions and trying to reduce restrictions on retirement age. Not sure what the average age of the society is in Australia but i am sure goverment statistics will show you this. I don't think you will really notice any difference wherever you are.

baconmaster Apr 9th 2005 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
why dont you find out . social demographics state the Uk is becoming an older population. That is why there is so much empahisis on pensions and trying to reduce restrictions on retirement age. Not sure what the average age of the society is in Australia but i am sure goverment statistics will show you this. I don't think you will really notice any difference wherever you are.

Oz has the same demographic problem , I read retirement age might be increased.

vandiemen Apr 9th 2005 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by baconmaster

Yes I think the baby boomers are all reaching retirement age now which will have a major impart on the overall demographics.

Brisben Apr 9th 2005 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by baconmaster

Just to justify Baconmasters statement Oz now pays poeple to have children. They are really pushing the BABY BOOM thing. so i think this is evidence in itself, Like i said i don't think you really see a notable difference.

Stormz Apr 9th 2005 7:20 pm

I voted 25-35, but I`m 35 and my wife is 32. We had our first baby last year so I`m not sure if I`m ready to be lumped into the `hoping they find some friends` or whatever yet :)

We`ll be getting the $3000 when our next baby is born in Perth in September.

wmoore Apr 9th 2005 7:23 pm

There's no option for '25-35 no kids, none planned'. That's us.

Brisben Apr 9th 2005 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Stormz
I voted 25-35, but I`m 35 and my wife is 32. We had our first baby last year so I`m not sure if I`m ready to be lumped into the `hoping they find some friends` or whatever yet :)

We`ll be getting the $3000 when our next baby is born in Perth in September.

Well congratulations on the baby front and the cash. In the UK it's strange really they complain about ageing population then when you do have a baby it justs makes life more financially limiting. Still it wont change anything. I cant see poeple having children just for the cash incentive, although 3,000 is better than nowt but hardly going to make everyone want babies,

Still congrats i wish you well

Stormz Apr 9th 2005 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Well congratulations on the baby front and the cash. In the UK it's strange really they complain about ageing population then when you do have a baby it justs makes life more financially limiting. Still it wont change anything. I cant see poeple having children just for the cash incentive, although 3,000 is better than nowt but hardly going to make everyone want babies,

Still congrats i wish you well

Cheers :)

Well the baby was planned, but we wanted them to grow up in Aus so our baby`s can grow up in a proper family atmosphere of knowing their grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins.

The $3000 is just a bonus really, not a decision maker. We were thinking of going back around June anyway. We`ll apply for a British passport for the new baby after he/she`s born (within the 12 month window).

Didnaeseeu Apr 9th 2005 8:52 pm

Okay for one I'm in the majority for this poll!!

We are not so average 35ishs (sat night been drinking) and have 2 lovely kiddies, who are so well behaved well at least when they are sleeping!!!!

Young or old what the hell it up to you to make the most of your opportunities, life is too bloody short!!!! :D

Grayling Apr 9th 2005 9:10 pm

Well

I'm already 55.

And I've already got a good pension :D

G

Merlot Apr 9th 2005 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
There's no option for '25-35 no kids, none planned'. That's us.

Hubby & I JUST squeeze into the above category too. :p

Storini Apr 9th 2005 11:26 pm

Look at it from the other end of the telescope: Which is the better country to be an older person in? I really think there's no contest here. An all-too-common attitude to older people in the UK is that they are a waste of space. Further just think about the climate, the energy costs, Council Tax, the pension ripoffs, flaky NHS, inheritance tax, crime, ...

Widdi Apr 10th 2005 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Storini
Look at it from the other end of the telescope: Which is the better country to be an older person in? I really think there's no contest here. An all-too-common attitude to older people in the UK is that they are a waste of space. Further just think about the climate, the energy costs, Council Tax, the pension ripoffs, flaky NHS, inheritance tax, crime, ...

My dream retirement is to become a grey nomad! - those oldies in a big bus just travelling round australia with no plans.

Imagine that in england!!

JackTheLad Apr 10th 2005 8:34 am

My dream retirement is to become a grey nomad!

SkIing !!

Thats what I plan to do as well :D... When I get to that age obviously

Cheers,
JTL