Reload this Page >

questions questions questions

questions questions questions

Old Jul 6th 2003, 10:07 pm
sue rose

Default questions questions questions

Same old same old

Do we ship? do we sell?
Where can you find out prices of furniture in Oz?
Book the flights before we sign contracts or not?
Fly economy or business?
Which airline?
Rent over the net or wait till we arrive?
Surrender or sell our endowments?
Have a leaving do or not?:scared:

Don't know what to tackle first and only 4 weeks to go

I think a few of and a little of and tomorrows another day

Sue R

Old Jul 7th 2003, 3:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions questions questions

Originally posted by sue rose
Same old same old

Do we ship? do we sell?

> Ship, unless it's crap then throw it away.

> Don't know.

> No

Fly economy or business?

> Economy

Which airline?

> Emirates for WA or Singapore Airlines

> Over the net for initial short term accom, then wait till you arrive.

> Obtain Surrender value first then get prices on open market, then get rid of them.

> Have a do, very close to your departure or you will be saying goodbye time and time again

Sue R
Old Jul 7th 2003, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Def ship as much as you require, cheaper to ship than buy new here. Exceptions are wardrobes and Video recorder.

Check out this link for stores Shopping
or

Ikea

As for accomadation rent somewhere motels appartment for say a week get a car and look around for somewhere more perm. Their are plenty of rentals everywhere in Australia, mainly unfurnished but you will be expected to commit to take any you like very quickly as the market here is very buoyant, and generally the min rental period is 6 months.

If you require to rent furnished untill your container arrives consider neg deal on holiday apartment as now is the low season here and good deals are available everywhere.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 4:06 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Same old same old

Do we ship? do we sell?
Fly economy or business?
Which airline?

Sue R
You're cutting it fine aren't you- 4 weeks to go and you have not decided whether to ship or sell.

Anyway, I suggest ship - it costs a ruddy fortune and a heap of time to start from scratch again, you think about it - from basics such as bedlinen to the big things like furniture - in fact it is not the furniture which adds up the most to replace - it's the basics like pots, pans, linen etc etc
Use a search engine like Google for online prices for the shops - Here's Amart which is one of the biggest chains with prices for cheap furniture ( a bit like MFI quality if you know what I mean - but they don't come in flat packs) http://www.superamart.com.au/ - try Ikea too, just put in furniture shop Australia into a search engine.

Fly whatever you want to fly - economy or business - uh?? Business of course if you don't mind spending the extra cash.

Airlines in order of my preference:
Singapore Airlines
Malaysian Airlines
Thai

Cr*p service airlines (Qantas and BA) - both I would never fly again

Wait until you arrive to rent the long time rental - unless you can find a short time rental property over the net.( 3 months - you can get these - it's usually if the house is for sale)

Have a leaving do - yes, if not for you for your family and friends sake - they probably want to send you off. Do it a couple of days before you leave, so you still have a few more days left to go and see your very close friends and family in private.

cheers
Old Jul 7th 2003, 8:13 am
sue rose

Default re questions questions questions

Thanks guys,

Have now decided to ship our best stuff. 4 weeks--bags of time. It's typical of us to leave every thing til the last minute.

Good idea to book holiday accom for the short term, anyone suggest a good area? We are going to Perth

Sue R

Old Jul 7th 2003, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Ship good stuff - bed, computer, washing machine, tumble dryer, kitchen stuff, linen, tools, lawn mower.

Sell TV, video, suite, dining furniture.

Fly Emirates, economy.

Rent after you arrive.

Keep endowments.

Enjoy your leaving do, & take plenty of photos.

Zebra
Old Jul 7th 2003, 3:46 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Same old same old

Do we ship? do we sell?
Fly economy or business?
Which airline?

Sue R
Check endowments with good financial advice - you may be liable for Aus tax when you cash them in the future (or maybe you sell decent ones and go/come back in a year?)

I did not need house sale to go through to be able to move, we rented in Aus for a year and had enough money to keep mortage going (yes I know lucky us) - we have now made up minds and are staying so sold but sale was nightmare, so if you need it do not book pay/anything out till signature on bottom line from both parties - our buyers even managed to delay the completion!

Ship the lot - cheaper in the long run, buy as you need once out here, not on mass basis which depletes funds you might need for other things. Think about it as a move down the road, if you would chuck it then in the UK chuck it now.

Fly economy - if you can pocket the difference save it for later seeing the area or even the odd flight back to check out homesickness (go on a holiday before you move back if that is how you are feeling).

Singapore Airlines- brilliant

Rent on net for a couple of weeks so you have a base - make sure you can extend or change so you can go with the flow, especially so you can see different areas if possible.

Have a do or not - which ever you would enjoy and not regret

just my thoughts.....and have fun

Cheers

Last edited by Sandra; Jul 7th 2003 at 3:49 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:14 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We flew Malaysian last time and found them to be excellent. This time we are going Singapore as we have heard so many good reviews.

The thing i like about Singapore airlines is the 1hr 10 min wait at Sinagpore airport. We had a 5 hr wait at KL with Malaysian, which goes VERY slowly
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
We flew Malaysian last time and found them to be excellent. This time we are going Singapore as we have heard so many good reviews.

The thing i like about Singapore airlines is the 1hr 10 min wait at Sinagpore airport. We had a 5 hr wait at KL with Malaysian, which goes VERY slowly

Flight times may have changed and that is why, but our stop with Malaysian Airlines was 1 hour 35 mins. Really good flight, lovely crew. Would recommend.

Whisky
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:28 pm
sue rose

Originally posted by whisky
Flight times may have changed and that is why, but our stop with Malaysian Airlines was 1 hour 35 mins. Really good flight, lovely crew. Would recommend.

Whisky
Is the time spent on the plane or do you get chance to stretch yuor legs

Sue R

Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:32 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Sue R
On the 5 hour stop you get off the plane, i would guess its the same for the short stop (which i did'nt know about ).

Most airlines have thier planes flying only one route. So the plane you get on to fly the second leg of the voyage will almost always be a different one to that which you travelled the first leg in.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Sue R

You get off the plane in Malaysia. Gives you time to go and get changed and have a quick coffee. The baggage is automatically taken to your next plane which then takes you to your destination. We took a change of clothes and changed in the loos.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Rent short term accom over the net beforehand (say 2 weeks) then move into unfurnished flat/house (furnished ones are hard to come by and expensive 'executive' stuff).

Rent furniture and appliances for 6 weeks or so until your stuff arrives. Try www.google.com.au under 'furniture rental' plus whatever city you're going to. There are plenty of those companies about and they deliver and collect the lot - still cheaper than renting furnished and moving again.

Good luck!
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:26 pm
sue rose

Thanks all for the valued info, it's been a great help.
Can I also say I've looked at several sites and this has been the most useful site I've seen so be prepared for lots more threads

Sue R