Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions, questions - Melbourne

Questions, questions - Melbourne

Old Jun 27th 2017, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions, questions - Melbourne

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's australia. Realistically, it has no history etc.

One of the things I noticed coming here was how there was a huge continent of a country, but they crowded together in what would be considered low class, high density hovels because they thought it was more cultured, etc. to be in the middle of the city.

It's fake. Culture doesn't come from where you live, it come from what you are. Far too many of the 'arty' types here are just rehashing trends from 5 years ago (or more) elsewhere, jumping on bandwagons. It's got no depth, little authenticity, and no innovation.
History is subjective, depends what you are interested in. Early European exploration and settlement of Australia can be fascinating. The story of Captain Cooks voyages etc and establishment of Botany Bay, penal colonies etc.

As for culture, yeah i find it lacking in the way you are saying. It's almost as if they are trying to suppress Australian culture and copy and import everything from overseas. Like Melbourne trying to be the most European like city. It's quite different from say NZ where Polynesian culture is a lot more evident and embraced/celebrated.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
History is subjective, depends what you are interested in. Early European exploration and settlement of Australia can be fascinating. The story of Captain Cooks voyages etc and establishment of Botany Bay, penal colonies etc.
I didn't think much happened in Botany Bay. They just parked the boats up there for a few days, did a spot of fishing, checked out some plants, made plans for an airport and container terminal then cruised off up the coast.

As for culture, yeah i find it lacking in the way you are saying. It's almost as if they are trying to suppress Australian culture and copy and import everything from overseas. Like Melbourne trying to be the most European like city. It's quite different from say NZ where Polynesian culture is a lot more evident and embraced/celebrated.
Yes that Haka. It does provide an unfair advantage.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Another handy hint, if you are talking about history / culture - talking about something totally disconnected from the mainstream populous really doesn't change the price of fish.
You're hilarious
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Once we decide the next massive hurdle is telling our families - totally dreading it!!!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
How on earth do you work out that the long history of Australia is totally disconnected from the mainstream populace?
Do try to keep up, Polly. History's all about what you do and use in everyday life, don't you know. And fish - history's about fish too
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think living close into the Melbourne CBD is some of the best urban living in the world.

Best I've ever had thats for sure.... Beats Peckham, Lewisham, Catford, South Norwood, Forest Hill, Bethnal Green and Bermondsey.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 27th 2017 at 6:45 am.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I personally think living close into the Melbourne CBD is some of the best urban living in the world.
Great for singles/couples - for families there are better places IMO. And a 4 bedroom home close to the CBD - you'll need very deep pockets for the property and the private schools as there are little options for public schooling. (University High probably the only decent one)
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Great for singles/couples - for families there are better places IMO. And a 4 bedroom home close to the CBD - you'll need very deep pockets for the property and the private schools as there are little options for public schooling. (University High probably the only decent one)
Best check out Princess Hill, Northcote, Brunswick Secondary and now Coburg High. Overseas students pay to go to Northcote as private students.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 27th 2017 at 7:01 am.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:50 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Point Cook and the west are not great locations. It's livable, and yes I understand many people are forced there due to cost of living in the East/North, but it's nothing special at all.

Pros
Cheaper housing
Newer housing

Cons
-Bad Infrastructure
-Many areas are commercial/industrial
-Shocking congestion - 1-2 hour commutes are not unheard of when the Westgate Freeway is bad.
-Bad schools - there are no public secondary schools I'd want to send my kids to, especially in Wyndham area
-Cafe and pub culture is non-existent, no decent restaurants (exception is a Thai restaurant in Laverton), nothing good until Footscray/Yarraville.
-Dusty and windy, especially new estates
-Internet can be non-existent literally - exchanges are full
-Some of the highest crime rates (Point Cook one of the highest for burglary)

It's just monotonous, dreary suburbia with nothing going on. Nobody walks anywhere, apart from elderly Chinese doing some exercise. No greenery, no hills. Modern fortress homes, people drive up with their electric garage openers and disappear.

If you have kids spend the extra and live in a more established area in the south-east or other inner suburbs - the difference in rent (sometimes not much) more than pays for itself with better schools
OK, I'm not going to get in to the usual back and forth. Suffice to say I don't recognise most of that, and several bits are hopelessly out of date.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You're hilarious
I have a pet peeve about people who appropriate things aboriginal in order to say "look, we've got culture too". It's all too 'noble savage' for my liking.

Practically australian culture started in 1788, the stuff before is someone else's and doesn't inform people's lives in the cities at all.

As I say, australia is a young country, no matter what it might try and convince itself of.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Best I've ever had thats for sure.... Beats Peckham, Lewisham, Catford, South Norwood, Forest Hill, Bethnal Green and Bermondsey.
That's South East London, hardly the world.

I drove through Catford a few weeks back. Still a dump.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have a pet peeve about people who appropriate things aboriginal in order to say "look, we've got culture too". It's all too 'noble savage' for my liking.

Practically australian culture started in 1788, the stuff before is someone else's and doesn't inform people's lives in the cities at all.

As I say, australia is a young country, no matter what it might try and convince itself of.
Culture isn't history.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scottishedo
Once we decide the next massive hurdle is telling our families - totally dreading it!!!
Been there done that. Its not fun, especially when you have the worlds most selfish father in law who has never left his own county.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, point to something you do/use during your usual life that connects in any serious way with pre-1788.

It's pretty hard to point to anything pre-1900.
Apart from the fact I feel I was born that long ago?

Actually I'm currently helping a colleague look into 'cultural leave' which involves looking at his Aboriginal heritage. On a more day-to-day work level we have to be constantly aware of the rights of the original landowners when dealing with reduction burns and the like.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Do try to keep up, Polly. History's all about what you do and use in everyday life, don't you know. And fish - history's about fish too
Well I guess Australia had fish before it had white settlers........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.