Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions that need answers.....?

Wikiposts

Questions that need answers.....?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Miss G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions that need answers.....?

[F][F]
Hey there, I'm new to this so forgive me for any mistakes.

Like many, myself, partner and 7mth old daughter are desperately wanting to emigrate 'down under'.
Queensland looks like it would suit us but we still have a lot of unanswered questions.
My partner is 28 yrs old and a qualified motor mechanic with 15yrs experience working for 'Vauxhell'.
All I have is NVQ2 working in a clinical environment for 10 years, also have just received my certificates allowing me to work as a Nail Technician.

Looks like a lot of you guys have relevant experience so am hoping you will be able to answer my questions.

1. I understand my partner will be the visa holder but what kind of visa suits us?

2. What are the average weekly/monthly earnings for a motor mechanic in QLD

3. Do you have to pay for nursery fees?

4. If my partner was to get sponsorship how does this work? Do you get the job first then apply for visa? or apply for visa then get sponsor?

5. If my partner does get a visa does that mean myself and our baby daughter do to?

6. In QLD what will our daily expenses add up to?

7. My partner was born in Africa and came to England when he was 8, he is now a british citizen, will this effect our visa application in any way?

8. Does anybody have previous experiences shipping house contents to Oz? If so how much were your quotes approx?

9. I understand there are many visas but depending on what you think suits us how long on average is the process?

10. How much do visas cost?

11. How much do 2 bedroom apartments/house rent for in coastal areas in queensland rent for approx?

12. Are there many beauty salons in QLD that have Nail Tech's available?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:32 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Questions that need answers.....?

Hi Miss G, have you been here? - http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/
Lots of info there it's a good starting point
Pam
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PamE
Hi Miss G, have you been here? - http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/
Lots of info there it's a good starting point
Pam
yes I have thanks its very helpful but was hoping there would be some one out there in same position as me or a mechanic out there now who could chat?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I think that many questions in the one post might be a bit offputting for some.

I'll try to answer some but you'd be better off seperating your questions into at least 3-4 individual threads.

1. I understand my partner will be the visa holder but what kind of visa suits us?
Try asking this on the Immigration forum.

No idea

Yes. Almost all pre-schools/child care centres and the like (nurseries are where you buy plants from ) charge fees. Depending on your income you might get some rebate from the government, though

4. If my partner was to get sponsorship how does this work? Do you get the job first then apply for visa? or apply for visa then get sponsor?
Think you get the job/sponsor first then apply for the visa

5. If my partner does get a visa does that mean myself and our baby daughter do to?
Yes

Totally dependent on where and how you live - no-one can possible say

7. My partner was born in Africa and came to England when he was 8, he is now a british citizen, will this effect our visa application in any way?
Don't think so

8. Does anybody have previous experiences shipping house contents to Oz? If so how much were your quotes approx?
Loads of threads on here about shipping. Try doing a search

9. I understand there are many visas but depending on what you think suits us how long on average is the process?
Loads of threads on the waiting time for visas. Checkout the Immigration forum

http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/

11. How much do 2 bedroom apartments/house rent for in coastal areas in queensland rent for approx?
www.realestate.com.au

If it's anything like Sydney - yes, loads of them.

Good luck...
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss G
[F][F]
Hey there, I'm new to this so forgive me for any mistakes.

Like many, myself, partner and 7mth old daughter are desperately wanting to emigrate 'down under'.
Queensland looks like it would suit us but we still have a lot of unanswered questions.
My partner is 28 yrs old and a qualified motor mechanic with 15yrs experience working for 'Vauxhell'.
All I have is NVQ2 working in a clinical environment for 10 years, also have just received my certificates allowing me to work as a Nail Technician.

Looks like a lot of you guys have relevant experience so am hoping you will be able to answer my questions.

All depends on how long you want to stay in Australia for and how many points you qualify for.
I don't know. Try looking on www.seek.com.au for a rough idea
I'd imagine so...
We haven't gone down the sponsorship route so wouldn't know, sorry.
If your partner applies for a visa he can include you and baby on his application.
Not sure I understand the question... Daily expenses for what? Like a cup of coffee? or household bills etc?
Wouldn't have thought so!
We've got a 20ft container coming tomorrow It cost £3400
Again not sure what visa would be best for you. We went for a 175 visa and it took 7 months.
Really depends on what visa you go for.
Try having a look on www.realestate.com.au

Again you could try a search on www.seek.com.au for jobs

First thing I would do is look on the Aussie government website and do the Visa Wizard this will guide you through what visa will be best for you and if you qualify.

One thing you say your partner is 28 but he has 15 years experience with Vauxhall? That would mean he started working at 13? God they start 'em young there!

Best of luck and maybe try the immigration forum of this site, lots of great advice and some registered migration agents post in there.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
First thing I would do is look on the Aussie government website and do the Visa Wizard this will guide you through what visa will be best for you and if you qualify.

One thing you say your partner is 28 but he has 15 years experience with Vauxhall? That would mean he started working at 13? God they start 'em young there!

Best of luck and maybe try the immigration forum of this site, lots of great advice and some registered migration agents post in there.
Thanks guys for the useful answers, My partner has 10 yrs sorry but has been in motor trade since school (Work experience ect).
Looks like Gov website is the one.

x
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For visa and immigration questions, post them in the Immigration Forum. More people in your position there, along with the been there, done that crew and the excellent Migration Agents who offer general help.

Obviously the lifestyle questions are best in here. Good luck.