Reload this Page >

Questions to all Mature Nursing Students

Questions to all Mature Nursing Students

Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Cookie Crew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions to all Mature Nursing Students

Hi All

I would really appreciate hearing your experiences good or bad from ex pats who are currently studying Nursing in Oz on a student visa, or have successfully completed studies and gone on to get a job over there.

It's been my lifelong dream to get into Midwifery or Nursing and as I'm almost 40, I want to take the "life begins at 40" saying literally . New career, New Start, New Life and all that

It would be really helpful if you could let me know which Uni's you are studying at and what the fees are like.

I'm married with 2 daughters, one 16 the other 8. We are initially attracted to the Gold Coast area but remain open minded and would go anywhere with good schools and colleges for the kids and which also has jobs in manufacturing to keep hubby happy (not sure how many hours a week he would be permitted to work though).

We are due to travel to Oz this year and intend to have a good look around before making firm decisions. It would be great if any of you could offer some advice before we go .
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:27 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions to all Mature Nursing Students

Originally Posted by Cookie Crew
Hi All

I would really appreciate hearing your experiences good or bad from ex pats who are currently studying Nursing in Oz on a student visa, or have successfully completed studies and gone on to get a job over there.

It's been my lifelong dream to get into Midwifery or Nursing and as I'm almost 40, I want to take the "life begins at 40" saying literally . New career, New Start, New Life and all that

It would be really helpful if you could let me know which Uni's you are studying at and what the fees are like.

I'm married with 2 daughters, one 16 the other 8. We are initially attracted to the Gold Coast area but remain open minded and would go anywhere with good schools and colleges for the kids and which also has jobs in manufacturing to keep hubby happy (not sure how many hours a week he would be permitted to work though).

We are due to travel to Oz this year and intend to have a good look around before making firm decisions. It would be great if any of you could offer some advice before we go .

Not too sure as still in UK. I'm due to start a new job teaching nursing with Griffith University based at their Griffith University so I'll know more in a couple of months. I would say go for it....you're never too old to learn....

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Good luck in your new job Ginny.
Keep us posted on how you get on. You never know, you may well be teaching me one day
Regards
Helen
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:39 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in your new job Ginny.
Keep us posted on how you get on. You never know, you may well be teaching me one day
Regards
Helen

I'd be afraid, very afraid!!! Nah it'd be a pleasure..

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:39 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Hi
I work at the Wesley and I believe some students there say it costs about $15,000 to train. Bugger I cant remember what uni's they train at though but then I have just finished a night shift and feel brain dead! Good luck!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Can't help on the nursing front but on a student visa your husband is allowed to work 20 hrs a week I think.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:06 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

hey cookie - check this nursing course out, its on the sunshine coast where i work, i know the first group of 40 all have jobs, and now theres about 100+ going thro it:

http://www.usc.edu.au/Students/Handb...Science/SN301/

Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
hey cookie - check this nursing course out, its on the sunshine coast where i work, i know the first group of 40 all have jobs, and now theres about 100+ going thro it:

http://www.usc.edu.au/Students/Handb...Science/SN301/

Thanks for this joeyballantyne, really useful stuff . I'll make enquiries to see how much the course costs as it only gives rough estimates online.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meelie
Hi
I work at the Wesley and I believe some students there say it costs about $15,000 to train. Bugger I cant remember what uni's they train at though but then I have just finished a night shift and feel brain dead! Good luck!
Meelie
$15,000 seems cheap. Is this per year or for the course. If it's for the course I'd be ever so grateful if you could find out which uni it is for me
Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:05 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

It is most likely to be 15000 per year
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boomerang
It is most likely to be 15000 per year
Wishful thinking on my part then .
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:27 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried doing a google search for...um...something like 'nurse training in australia' ?
you could email the uni's direct about fees....im sure they will be more than happy to send out prospectus etc
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:29 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Wishful thinking on my part then .
just had another thought...as you are nearly 40, why dont you get on a course here in the uk? you have plenty of time to complete it and you could get a job after only 6 months qualified on the stni scheme?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
just had another thought...as you are nearly 40, why dont you get on a course here in the uk? you have plenty of time to complete it and you could get a job after only 6 months qualified on the stni scheme?
Hi Tired with Twins
Thanks for your advice. I have thought about training in the UK but I would have to undertake an Access to Higher Education course (2 years Part Time) before the University would allow me to enrol, as they will not allow anyone in unless they can provide evidence of recent study which I don't have. The Diploma in Nursing takes another 3 years to complete which would make me 45 by the time I became a registered Nurse or Midwife. Obviously this would be unacceptable to the Australian Authorities as the cut off age for visa applications is 45 so we'd be knackered
Rgds
Helen
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:43 pm

Hi Tired with Twins
Thanks for your advice. I have thought about training in the UK but I would have to undertake an Access to Higher Education course (2 years Part Time) before the University would allow me to enrol, as they will not allow anyone in unless they can provide evidence of recent study which I don't have. The Diploma in Nursing takes another 3 years to complete which would make me 45 by the time I became a registered Nurse or Midwife. Obviously this would be unacceptable to the Australian Authorities as the cut off age for visa applications is 45 so we'd be knackered
Rgds
Helen
wouldnt they accept you with 'A' levels (or whatever they are called now!?) - im sure you could get those within a year? or you may be able to do a shortened access course or an equivalent if you can prove APEL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.