questions about shipping and what to take

questions about shipping and what to take

Old Mar 8th 2004, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default questions about shipping and what to take

Hiya
Just a few queries.
We have finally reached the stage where we're getting ready to leave !
Hopefully someone will be able to help?

Has anyone used excessbaggage.com? Are they any good?
Will our dvd and video work over there?

Hope to leave London in the next couple of weeks, then it's time to go see the relatives for 6 weeks in Glasgow and Dublin. Finally leave for Perth at the end of April. Too busy to get excited so far!

Barbara
x
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:34 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions about shipping and what to take

Originally posted by Barbara 2003
Has anyone used excessbaggage.com? Are they any good?
Will our dvd and video work over there?
x
Hi!

Check out http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/tv.php for the tv/dvd stuff.
Video is always fine I think.

Use the search function on this forum for excessbaggage, I've heard of them before.

And a tip: take EVERTHING! Yes, even the fridge, unless you're going to Cairns or Darwin or it's really old!

Good luck, have fun, busy times!!

Simone
Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions about shipping and what to take

Barbara,
We were going to take the absolute minimum but after reading this forum for a few weeks we have changed our minds and will take everything we can.

You can put an OZ plug or use adapters for the DVD and Video.
DVD is fine if it's multi-region or to play what you have already.
Video I don't think will work in OZ other than playback of what you have already. Maybe the link Simone gave you will confirm that.

Old Mar 8th 2004, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info girls.
At each stage I thought -this is definitely the most stressfull bit- it'll get easier now. But I definitely think this is the most stressfull part of the whole process!
But I reserve the right to take back that comment in a couple of months!
We'll have to exchange tales of woe when you arrive in July Simone. Where are you off to Bix? What stage of stress are you at?

Barbara
x
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you off to Bix? What stage of stress are you at?
Barbara
x
Hoping for Victoria - Ballarat region.
Not even started yet though
Got a job lined up but can only get a 457 temp visa.
Have said yes to that and now waiting for the sponsor to sort his bits so we can get application lodged.
Apparently the temps only take a matter of weeks rather than months though so here's hoping
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck with the application.
What kind of work do you do?
What made you decide on Ballarat, have you got family there?
Have you been there before?
We're off to Perth having never been there before- here's hoping it's a nice spot! Otherwise we're jumping on the greyhound bus!

Barbara
x
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:56 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Good luck with the application.
What kind of work do you do?
What made you decide on Ballarat, have you got family there?
Have you been there before?
We're off to Perth having never been there before- here's hoping it's a nice spot! Otherwise we're jumping on the greyhound bus!

Barbara
x
I am the Customer Services Manager for the worlds largest mining company of white minerals. Clay, marble, chalk, limestone, dolomite - that sort of thing.
Sounds grand eh? In practice I am a walking repository and think tank and have to find answers to all the questions no-one else can answer. It's all down to experience within the industry rather than qualifications.

My company has a small operation in Pittong - near Ballarat so I would be based somewhere close to that. By choice I would select somewhere in Victoria anyway as I think the climate elsewhere in OZ would be too much of a change for us. Vic tends to be cooler and seasonal more so than most of OZ. If you find Perth too hot I suggest you try southerly Vic.

Have no relations in OZ and only know one person in the local company. Used to work with him in Cornwall 15 years ago.

Have never visited OZ and do not intend to in advance. Most people on the forum would recommend a prior visit but I could not afford that and my opinion is that until you live somewhere you will not know what it is truly like anyway. We intend to rent until we are sure which area we want to live in.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like you'll get over there pretty quick with your experience.
I used to know a fella from Ballarat and it sounds like a nice place.
You should find it okay.

Right I'm off to me bed now it's the witching hour!

Barbara
X

By the way

!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON THE THOUSAND POSTS !!!!