Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions about shipping company and pension transfer

Questions about shipping company and pension transfer

Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all
Default Questions about shipping company and pension transfer

As per the title, my questions are as follow:

1. I have had a look at shipping companies, and have narrowed down to PSS and Anglo Pacific. However, the quotes given to me for 30 cu ft worth of stuff are a huge different. Which one is better? Can people who have already migrated give some suggestions and opinions?

2. With regard to pension transfer, I was informed that there is a 6 months window to transfer UK pension to Australia, and if there is a growth, then I will be taxed. Is that the case? I know that there are a couple of companies in the UK offering to transfer pension to Oz, but is it possible to do the transfer after I arrive?

I appreciate all comments and suggestions.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default Re: Questions about shipping company and pension transfer

Originally Posted by kaungchiau

2. With regard to pension transfer, I was informed that there is a 6 months window to transfer UK pension to Australia, and if there is a growth, then I will be taxed. Is that the case? I know that there are a couple of companies in the UK offering to transfer pension to Oz, but is it possible to do the transfer after I arrive?

Yes you have six months to make the transfer tax free, then you will be taxed on only the growth portion of the pension at 15% I think.

Save your money and do it yourself when you get here, it is easy and the Super Company I went with provided me with all the paperwork part completed, all I had to do was sign.

It took mine around 8 weeks to transfer and I left it too late for the six month window, but mine lost value from the date I arrived until the transfer completed so I paid no tax.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

1. I have had a look at shipping companies, and have narrowed down to PSS and Anglo Pacific. However, the quotes given to me for 30 cu ft worth of stuff are a huge different. Which one is better? Can people who have already migrated give some suggestions and opinions?

PSS - some have good comments, they did a shocking job for us earlier this year.

Pension - I have decided to leave this in the UK and transfer it when the exchange rate imporves - since the difference that could make far outwieghs the tax on the additional value over that time...
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:15 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
PSS - some have good comments, they did a shocking job for us earlier this year.

Pension - I have decided to leave this in the UK and transfer it when the exchange rate imporves - since the difference that could make far outwieghs the tax on the additional value over that time...
We also had a shocking experience with PSS. But had better karma this side with Kent.

Transfer of pensions can take along time - for us it was the UK side. The tax on the pension can also be taken out of the fund (ie does not affect your own tax return). For those taxed on worldwide income you might get taxed anyway on the growth year on year even if you leave it in the UK.

We had/have a number of different funds so looked/evaluated each fund independently - some we left some we brought across.

Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply. By saying shocking, do you equate that with a bad service?

I am leaving UK on 28 August, I guess there is not much time left for me to pack.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:44 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. By saying shocking, do you equate that with a bad service?

I am leaving UK on 28 August, I guess there is not much time left for me to pack.
Packers came on Friday before Mothers Day (Sunday).
Pack of chocolates and card clearly to be left were taken

Alcohol taken - all kitchen cupboards were off limit as we placed all items on dining table ready for packing. We did not notice until they had gone but we are talking £500 worth of wine not a few bottles of plonk.

Toaster and kettle packed with toast and water (all were labelled leave all on bench alone)

Rubbish bags were packed into boxes but items left out (because they put a smaller box on top to hold all the packing tape, forgot about it and left without taking it - the rubbish with them).

Spent 10 mins explaining to young guy that cabinet was not to be taken. 30 mins later he has it wrapped ready for the container

We already had packed and broken down the main items ie beds. They repacked and got all the boxes muddled up. Trying to put beds together this end with out bolts (eventually found with curtains amongest 80 boxes).
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Thanks for the heads up on PSS. We were considering them along with Allied Pickfords and Robinsons. PSS guy concerned me a little as we have some items which may have a problem with getting through Quarantine (I have done the research) and the PSS guy said they would just label the box so that it wouldn't raise any queries with AQUIS? As an Aussie who takes pride in the fact that Australia has minimal diseases etc that could harm the livestock and wildlife I could not believe that this guy obviously had no regard for why the Quarantine regulations are in place. It put me off that they were willing to cut corners - what else would they do it with? The other 2 companies had guys who knew the restrictions and explained what they needed to do when it got to Australia. They also queried stuff with AQUIS direct on my behalf. We used Allied Pickfords when we first came to the Uk 11years ago and where happy with them but we have also heard very good reports about Robinsons. Anyone got any recent feedback on either of them?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Anglo Pacific packed for us 2 weeks ago. No real complaints but they did pack a small bag with keys for the car, bike and van as well as the fobs for the garage doors. It was found but I did have top ask a few times.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for letting me know about PSS. I was considering using their service before I post my query here, because they pride themselves as having been in the removal business for more than 25 years.

Anyone has anything to say about Anglo Pacific?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:45 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We have found Crown to be very proffessional & gave us the only quote which quoted for all the hidden charges other companys forget to tell you about making their quotes seam cheaper! Only problem now is we rang them today to give our 2 weeks notice for them to pack & they are fully booked up They are gonna ring me back i the morning tho so hopefully it will be good news!
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Markandmel is an unknown quantity at this point

I am leaving UK on 28 August.
SNAP! Our leaving date is also the 28th August, lets hope the emigratting gods are with us We did receive a quote from Anglo Pacific but they were unwilling to negotiate on price unlike John Mason. Both were very professional in their approach and as I'd already done my homework on what AQIS restrict in Australia they were both quick to point out the same restrictions. Good Luck with the move.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Markandmel
SNAP! Our leaving date is also the 28th August, lets hope the emigratting gods are with us We did receive a quote from Anglo Pacific but they were unwilling to negotiate on price unlike John Mason. Both were very professional in their approach and as I'd already done my homework on what AQIS restrict in Australia they were both quick to point out the same restrictions. Good Luck with the move.
I am leaving London on 28 August, but will stopover in KL to see my mum and dad and my flight to Perth is on 6 September.

Have you found someone to stay yet? I don't know where I should send my stuff to on the delivery form. Shall I put the address of a hotel?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Markandmel is an unknown quantity at this point

I am leaving London on 28 August, but will stopover in KL to see my mum and dad and my flight to Perth is on 6 September.

Have you found someone to stay yet? I don't know where I should send my stuff to on the delivery form. Shall I put the address of a hotel?
We are moving to Sydney and will initially be staying with my wifes parents. We negotiated a deal with John Mason on storing our contents in Australia as we too do not have an address to send our belongings.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Shocking from PSS.

Some goods packed so close to the top of boxes when opened this end they cut through items and damaged them.

We had one brand new large fridge freezer, and then half size fridge and half size freezer. None were apcked with cardboard - just thick paper, so as an example, the main fridge freezer had 4 scratches and 13 dents in it, plus the cable was sliced through, and one of the feet was total ripped off, the other all bent.

Packing was poor but think most of the damage happened this end - dragging of items like fridge, and other items like washing machine and tumble dryer all dragged either ripping off feet or damaging them. Dents in furniture, some wood broken and split, dropped TV causing failure to tube and totally unrepairable, split in running machine....

Total insurance claim that was fully paid out was over £4,000 (that is pounds, not dollars), and some items were not covered (we forgot to list the leather study chair which had damage and thus that was refused).

The insurance did at first quibble with some items (you did not list the study light), but when I pointed out that with this logic, I should have listed every book and every DVD (and I have over 2,000 books) the form would be rather long.

Full credit - insurance was settled fairly quickly and in reasonable time with some pushing, but packing TV's and fridges etc in just paper was crazy. Likewise, the other TV's only survived as I had the original boxes for them.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

We had Anglo Pacific, reasonably happy with them. packers were excellent. Manchester office staff are a bit lazy in my opinion - we have had to chase them rather than them contact us about certain things. not in Aus to unpack the goods so don't know if anything is broken or missing yet.

Storage in Aus for us including insurance on goods costs approx £100 month.

We had all the costs up front from Anglo, and it's exactly as they said. Only thing they couldn't quote was customs clearance as this all depends on customs, but everything else spot on. As it happened we had no customs costs whatsoever, only the customs clearance charge - about $180AUD - this was also mainly due to us knowing what we can take in and what we can't and advice from the packers.

Crown were way over the top with quote. Don't believe them when they say they handle from beginning to end. there are no English unpackers in Aus. They all sub contract the work out to another aus company.

Make sure you cover your goods with insurance from beginning to end - including storage - if you are insuring. it's hard enough by all accounts to claim on insurance, but if you have a gap in cover - they can use it as a reason not to pay out.

We also had PSS in to quote, but didn't like the guy who did the quote and they were much cheaper than everyone else which put us off. Was always bought up to believe you get what you pay for in this life.

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.