British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Questions about moving to Austrailia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/questions-about-moving-austrailia-900640/)

Sunnys1981 Jul 26th 2017 7:56 pm

Questions about moving to Austrailia

Strange question but if I had any debts out standing can I still emergrate to Austrailia.Also if I was bankrupt or had a debt relief order would this also stop me from emergrating.Just after some imformation so I have an idea what to do

Kind regards

Pollyana Jul 26th 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Questions about moving to Austrailia

Originally Posted by Sunnys1981 (Post 12303699)
Strange question but if I had any debts out standing can I still emergrate to Austrailia.Also if I was bankrupt or had a debt relief order would this also stop me from emergrating.Just after some imformation so I have an idea what to do

Kind regards

You can continue to pay off your debts from Australia. As long as you are not going for a business visa (when bankruptcy might have an effect) they should be no impediment to you getting a visa, in itself.
However emigrating is a hugely expensive business - if you are bankrupt how are you going to afford it? The visa alone is several thousand pounds.

Sunnys1981 Jul 26th 2017 9:18 pm

Bankruptcy was just an idea.Id rather not do that.I surpose I'm just looking at all Angles.What about if it went to a debt collection agency? Could I still go

carcajou Jul 26th 2017 9:43 pm

Theoretically there is an available funds requirement; however, many people are not asked to provide proof of that.

Pollyana Jul 26th 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12303761)
Theoretically there is an available funds requirement; however, many people are not asked to provide proof of that.

Unless its a State Sponsored visa (and even then its not required by all States) there is no requirement for skills visa holders to have any funds at the ready. On a 189 for instance you can move with no money whatsoever in the bank. You'd be barmy if yu did it, but there is no law against it.

carcajou Jul 26th 2017 9:53 pm

On a 189, yes - however OP has not specified what visa. Just "migration." As I said in the post - not everyone has to prove funds.

Pollyana Jul 26th 2017 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sunnys1981 (Post 12303753)
Bankruptcy was just an idea.Id rather not do that.I surpose I'm just looking at all Angles.What about if it went to a debt collection agency? Could I still go

If there are no criminal convictions associated with your debts, yes you could still migrate.
You need to visit Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and check out whether you actually qualify for a visa. And check out the visa fees as well. If you want a permanent move and unless you are moving on a family visa, you need to also factor in skills assessment costs (several £k) medical, police checks, shipping, flights, setting up in a new country - rental, utilities etc...it all adds up and if you are already in debt you need to work out exactly how you are going to pay for it.

verystormy Jul 27th 2017 9:18 am

But, if you cant pay your debts, how will you afford to migrate? The overall cost would be not far off £30k for a family

giri26 Jul 27th 2017 11:04 pm

I moved from US to Australia, I still continue to pay my credit card debts from here. I am also paying my mortgage of my home which is on the market. So that has no bearing on the visa itself.