Reload this Page >

Questions about changing currency at the Sydney Airport

Questions about changing currency at the Sydney Airport

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

lotr will become famous soon enough
Default Questions about changing currency at the Sydney Airport

Hello,

I want to bring US dollars in cash to convert them to AU dollars.

Using the currency converter from Yahoo ( http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;amt=903.0976 ) I have seen that AU$ 1.000 = US$ 903

But if I want to change currency at the Sydney Airport I guess I would need to pay more.

What do you think that is more possible when you change currency in the Airport: US$ 923 for AU$ 1.000, or US$ 1.000 for AU$ 1.000 ?

Do you think that AU$ 1.000 is enough for living in Australia while you can withdraw funds from your bank account ?

Thank you from any response
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:25 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about changing currency at the Sydney Airport

Originally Posted by lotr
Hello,

I want to bring US dollars in cash to convert them to AU dollars.

Using the currency converter from Yahoo ( http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;amt=903.0976 ) I have seen that AU$ 1.000 = US$ 903

But if I want to change currency at the Sydney Airport I guess I would need to pay more.

What do you think that is more possible when you change currency in the Airport: US$ 923 for AU$ 1.000, or US$ 1.000 for AU$ 1.000 ?

Do you think that AU$ 1.000 is enough for living in Australia while you can withdraw funds from your bank account ?

Thank you from any response
You dont have a credit card?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:52 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We exchanged money at the Syndey airport. We had exactly $350 dollars Canadian and exchanged it for Australian. That's all the cash we had, no idea why I didn't just do it before we left Canada!

You can be guarnateed you'll get the crappiest rate around if you exchange at the airport. If you can exchange at a bank before you go I would definitely do that. We probably managed a good week or two just by using our credit cards for everything and then cash when we couldn't. As long as you have alternate means of accessing money (credit cards or bank account) then you should be fine.

I'm not really sure what else to tell you. How long are you staying? Are you just visiting or will you be living and working here?

You've asked if $1,000 is enough (at least I think that's what you asked). It's hard to answer unless we know what you're doing in Australia and how long you'll be in the country.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.travelex.com.au/

Because thats who will end up changing your currency. Use those rates if you exchanging at the airport in Australia. Personally I would arrange this before you left, you'll no doubt get a better rate.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Now that I see the name it was a Travelex we used to exchange money at the Sydney airport. They definitely have crappy rates and I would only use in case of emergency.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
http://www.travelex.com.au/

Because thats who will end up changing your currency. Use those rates if you exchanging at the airport in Australia. Personally I would arrange this before you left, you'll no doubt get a better rate.
Well, I was asking in my city and they only change to US Dollars and Euros not AU Dollars.

-------

I am puzzled. Travelex change US $ 877 for AU $ 1.000, and in Yahoo currency converter the exchange rate is US $ 900 for AU $ 1.000. I am puzzled because Travelex exchange rate should be higher not lower, for example US $ 1000 for AU $ 1000, because they would need to pay employees wages, etc with those US $ 100 (in this example US $ 1000 - US $ 900).

Last edited by lotr; Nov 4th 2009 at 12:18 am.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You dont have a credit card?
Well, I wouldn't want to have any surprise when I were in Australia. My country's banks do not have a reputation for good service !!!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

I'm not really sure what you're asking or what you're having difficulty with.

The Travelex rates are terrible. You're always going to get a rate far worse than if you check the rates on the internet, because as you said they need to pay employes, pay for the location and make a bit of profit. For this reason the rates are lower (not higher). Travelex isn't a bank but they still have all the same expenses and if anything they make their profit solely off of the exchange rate rather than the banks who make profit off of lots of other things as well.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm not really sure what you're asking or what you're having difficulty with.

The Travelex rates are terrible. You're always going to get a rate far worse than if you check the rates on the internet, because as you said they need to pay employes, pay for the location and make a bit of profit. For this reason the rates are lower (not higher). Travelex isn't a bank but they still have all the same expenses and if anything they make their profit solely off of the exchange rate rather than the banks who make profit off of lots of other things as well.
Well, OK,
I guess I will change very few money (for taxis, food, etc) at the airport and I will carry the rest of the money in US dollars.

BTW: Do you know a place in Sydney where the exchange rate is better ? Thank you !!!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
We exchanged money at the Syndey airport. We had exactly $350 dollars Canadian and exchanged it for Australian. That's all the cash we had, no idea why I didn't just do it before we left Canada!

You can be guarnateed you'll get the crappiest rate around if you exchange at the airport. If you can exchange at a bank before you go I would definitely do that. We probably managed a good week or two just by using our credit cards for everything and then cash when we couldn't. As long as you have alternate means of accessing money (credit cards or bank account) then you should be fine.

I'm not really sure what else to tell you. How long are you staying? Are you just visiting or will you be living and working here?

You've asked if $1,000 is enough (at least I think that's what you asked). It's hard to answer unless we know what you're doing in Australia and how long you'll be in the country.
Well, ideally, I will stay permanently, I have PR, I will begin looking for a job, and I am planning to send money to a Westpac bank account before I leave my country, but I am arriving to Sydney on Sunday, and I will need money for Sunday, Monday, etc. because I don't know how easily would be to validate my ID on the bank and to withdraw money, better safe than sorry