Reload this Page >

Question for Ulujain

Question for Ulujain

Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question for Ulujain

Hi There!
I need to know about the electrical stuff. We currently live in Toronto and are heading to Brisbane sometimes in 2005. Will our stuff work there. I know you're somewhere in Texas. Will you be taking any of your electrical stuff with to Oz. Your answer will be GREATLY appreciated!
Chantale
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:06 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question for Ulujain

Originally posted by najo
Hi There!
I need to know about the electrical stuff. We currently live in Toronto and are heading to Brisbane sometimes in 2005. Will our stuff work there. I know you're somewhere in Texas. Will you be taking any of your electrical stuff with to Oz. Your answer will be GREATLY appreciated!
Chantale
Hey Chantale, how's it going?

The only electrical gear I'll be taking with me is some very small computer related stuff. Nothing large i.e TV's etc.

Australia is 240v/50-60Hz and uses a different plug. So you'd need a transformer as well as convertor plugs.

Keep in mind also that monitors and TV's may have issues in Australia due to magnetic field reversals.

Australia also uses PAL, not NTSC, which'll probably render your TV worthless.

If your stuff has 110/220 switches on them, then all you'll need are converter plugs (or re-wire the plugs).

Good luck!

Peter
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:54 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ulujain
Keep in mind also that monitors and TV's may have issues in Australia due to magnetic field reversals.
Haven't noticed anyone bring this up before. Can you elucidate?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:20 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Haven't noticed anyone bring this up before. Can you elucidate?
It has been mentioned once or twice. here is an example. LCD's are not affected, just CRT's.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:13 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wmoore
It has been mentioned once or twice. here is an example. LCD's are not affected, just CRT's.
Hmmm, I'm still sceptical. The vertical and horizontal components of the earth's magnetic field vary all the way from pole to equator and that doesn't seem to matter. Offhand I would guess that the magnetic field generated inside the tube is much greater than the earth's field, but maybe a TV engineer can correct me on this. I'm going to have go away and dust off my A-level physics!