Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question on timescales once in Aus

Question on timescales once in Aus

Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Question on timescales once in Aus

Hello All

My family have permanent residency for Australia and will be heading to Melbourne next April. Having felt I had the measure of what I needed to do when I landed there...all those things like get a TFN, register with Centerlink, sort out the bank account with the 100 point test blah, blah, blah I have just realised that I've got the foggiest idea how long all this admin will take.

I'm guessing I need some of this sorted out so I can rent out a property.

So does anyone know from experience how it it all takes to get all this sorted if one applies oneself?

Thanks

Neil
Old Dec 16th 2004, 4:31 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Question on timescales once in Aus

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hello All

My family have permanent residency for Australia and will be heading to Melbourne next April. Having felt I had the measure of what I needed to do when I landed there...all those things like get a TFN, register with Centerlink, sort out the bank account with the 100 point test blah, blah, blah I have just realised that I've got the foggiest idea how long all this admin will take.

I'm guessing I need some of this sorted out so I can rent out a property.

So does anyone know from experience how it it all takes to get all this sorted if one applies oneself?

Thanks

Neil
Medicare you can apply for after about a week of arriving, just take your passport along. You'll get issued a temp card and then a plastic one will come along in the post within a couple of weeks.
TFN, I think the standard time is '28 days', but mine took about 2 weeks.
Bank account - I set mine up, with passport within the 6 weeks, took 10 mins
Don't know about Centrelink, I'm not registered with them.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 4:42 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Question on timescales once in Aus

Originally Posted by wongstonn
register with Centerlink,
That one depends how long the queue is (sorry )

Mainly of use only to parents, most other benefits have the 24 month waiting period.

Here's the Centrelink web link in case you need it
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ttle_index.htm