Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for those who immigrated "later" in life

Question for those who immigrated "later" in life

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Question for those who immigrated "later" in life

We are tremendously excited about the thought of moving to Aussie and plan to be there in about a year. It is undoubedtly the right decision for us as a family. However, it is not without it's concerns.....
My husband will be 56 next Feb and I turn 40 next May - that makes us "old" when it comes to "starting again" financially. We are not afraid of hard work, but we do need to start "living" at some point in our lives.
Has anyone who immigrated later found it harder than they anticipated from a financial perspective, or has the "tighten of the belt" not been that difficult.
For me it is OK, but for my husband....I really worry that he will never get his chance to simply enjoy the fruits of life (we immigrated 10 years ago from SA, so have been through this before....it is not easy). I see him wondering sometimes if he can do it all again..... I have 16 years advantage on him and by default that makes the moves easier for me. I still have so many more years to rebuild....

A whole lot of waffle, but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts for those that relate to what I am saying.

Cheers
Nix
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all
Default Re: Question for those who immigrated "later" in life

I can't help you i'm afraid but know where you are coming from. We're going through the process to emigrate just now and we're in our 40's.
We don't know what to expect in terms of employment at our age, we'll just have to wait and see.

Either way, if it doesn't work out, we can always come back. You only regret what you didn't do, so if it doesn't work out, at least we've had an experience of living in another country.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
We are tremendously excited about the thought of moving to Aussie and plan to be there in about a year. It is undoubedtly the right decision for us as a family. However, it is not without it's concerns.....
My husband will be 56 next Feb and I turn 40 next May - that makes us "old" when it comes to "starting again" financially. We are not afraid of hard work, but we do need to start "living" at some point in our lives.
Has anyone who immigrated later found it harder than they anticipated from a financial perspective, or has the "tighten of the belt" not been that difficult.
For me it is OK, but for my husband....I really worry that he will never get his chance to simply enjoy the fruits of life (we immigrated 10 years ago from SA, so have been through this before....it is not easy). I see him wondering sometimes if he can do it all again..... I have 16 years advantage on him and by default that makes the moves easier for me. I still have so many more years to rebuild....

A whole lot of waffle, but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts for those that relate to what I am saying.

Cheers
Nix
hello!.....and i hope all goes well with your move..

i am not in your situation......however..i am in a second marraige..both of us in our 40's and starting over again..with a mortgage etc.i have just moved to canada from australia....~ and yeah it can be tiring ...even for us in our 40's...we have been thinking and wondering if we will have the energy for a big move to australia in a few years perhaps.....will we..? we dont' know..however...i love australia!!..and would love for our son. ( my s/son) to experience it.....life here where we are is wonderful..and so would life in australia.......

you at least have a heads up in that you have done it before..so that will surely help....knowing somewhat to expect etc........~ i wish you all the best and am sure all will go well for you all....
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rightruccus
I can't help you i'm afraid but know where you are coming from. We're going through the process to emigrate just now and we're in our 40's.
We don't know what to expect in terms of employment at our age, we'll just have to wait and see.

Either way, if it doesn't work out, we can always come back. You only regret what you didn't do, so if it doesn't work out, at least we've had an experience of living in another country.
what a wonderful attitude you have!......to me that can be more important than money etc...to help with the whole process...~ you can have a lot of money in the bank or whatever..but if you dont' have the right attitude..forget it!..it can make or break you~ ( i am of course speaking metaphoricaly about the money)

and.....i am in my 40s.my closest friend is 7 years older than me...her and i were just discussing the other day about how..both of us have never been without employment..~.it is out there if you are willing to give it a go!..however a lot of people won't move out of their comfort zones and do something different~we have had a variety jobs..and each one served it's purpose at the time...and also...a lot employers are looking for people who are more mature and stable ..than just say a lot of the younger ones......

all the best~
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:43 pm
CazBeckham

CazBeckham is on a distinguished road

Hi

My Husband and I are in our late fifties and going through the process for a Cont Parent Visa (6 months in tomorrow and waiting) - going by threads on this forum it looks like we will not even get a case officer till around Dec but hey who knows they may take on more staff and speed things along.

We have a Daughter and Son in Law in Brisbane and a Son and his Fiance in UK.

It's just living in limbo not knowing until the end whether you even have half a chance of getting a visa.

Caz Beckham
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We came out in our mid sixties and found it a very stressful experience. However, since we are on a UK pension there was no stress about having to find a job, which for the younger immigrants must be the worst part unless you are fortunate.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:54 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We came at 40 and 45 on a 457 visa. We now have PR (work sponsored). We came with the attitude that if you don't try you will never know. No expectations and no preconceived ideas, particularly on my part as I had never been to Australia and never wanted to. It just wasn't in my thoughts.

Anyway for us it is the best thing we ever did and have built up a strong base of friends, in fact we have 8 coming for dinner this evening.

My advice is relax and take the rough with the smooth - some days are going to be hard, especially when you miss family and friends and everything initially seems very alien and hard work. Nothing is familiar but after a time you will get to know the best places to go to either for shopping, eating, sightseeing etc etc.

If you are going to work then you usually meet friends that way otherwise/and/or talk to everyone, join everything, accept all invitations and try to attend some meet ups on here as and when they happen.

I would say that we were lucky in that the OH had a job lined up and all our relocation was done by an agency but even so it is easy to do it is just the fear that gets in the way and makes you worry about everthing. When things get on top of me I try to relax by meditation. Works wonders for the soul!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike

Cheers
Nix
Hi Nix we came out last November on a contributory parent visa i am 53 hubby 57 we haven't been able to get full time work I haven't got any qualifications I was a post office manager in UK, hubby was in the army for 23 years and then ran his own mobile car repair business in UK for 12 years and taught car repairs at the local school, we were lucky that we have savings and hubby gets a pension from the army we wouldn't of come if it wasn't for the pension,we are enjoying our life here but hubby doesn't like the fact that he isn't bringing in a regular wage, and 2 months ago we found out he had cancer that knocked us for six but we are really positive and will not let it get us down there is a job out there with my name on it I'm sure and in the mean time we will carry on walking on the beach in the sunshine, whale watching going for picnics what a life,and a new grandchild due in 2 weeks so a lot to look forward to,best of luck to you
Janet
Old Aug 4th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vanessa
We came at 40 and 45 on a 457 visa. We now have PR (work sponsored). We came with the attitude that if you don't try you will never know. No expectations and no preconceived ideas, particularly on my part as I had never been to Australia and never wanted to. It just wasn't in my thoughts.

Anyway for us it is the best thing we ever did and have built up a strong base of friends, in fact we have 8 coming for dinner this evening.

My advice is relax and take the rough with the smooth - some days are going to be hard, especially when you miss family and friends and everything initially seems very alien and hard work. Nothing is familiar but after a time you will get to know the best places to go to either for shopping, eating, sightseeing etc etc.

If you are going to work then you usually meet friends that way otherwise/and/or talk to everyone, join everything, accept all invitations and try to attend some meet ups on here as and when they happen.

I would say that we were lucky in that the OH had a job lined up and all our relocation was done by an agency but even so it is easy to do it is just the fear that gets in the way and makes you worry about everthing. When things get on top of me I try to relax by meditation. Works wonders for the soul!
i so agree ..meditation does do wonders for the soul..mind and body aswell...
such a lovely post....realistic~
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

My parents are coming out with us when we head to the Sunshine Coast next month. Mum is 71, dad is 78. But they're not going to live with us. They've bought land and are having a house built.... Now, okay, they don't have to make a living, but I have to give them credit for their attitude. I just hope I take after them... They just see it as an adventure in their third age and dad is already on the beach.

But for me, 45 at the end of the month. It is seriously scary....
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kegsta
My parents are coming out with us when we head to the Sunshine Coast next month. Mum is 71, dad is 78. But they're not going to live with us. They've bought land and are having a house built.... Now, okay, they don't have to make a living, but I have to give them credit for their attitude. I just hope I take after them... They just see it as an adventure in their third age and dad is already on the beach.

But for me, 45 at the end of the month. It is seriously scary....
That's fantastic! What an attitude, go gran & gramps!

Thats nice for you too, Kegsta, having them nearby.