Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for smokers IN oz......

Question for smokers IN oz......

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for smokers IN oz......

Originally Posted by pootle26

i would recommend giving up BEFORE you get here - cos when you get here you will find that you cant smoke ANYWHERE!!

pootle26
You can smoke in most pubs in Perth, but not restaurants. Don't know how ong his will last though. From my observations since arriving, as many people smoke here as in the UK, especially young women.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Robs just a pussy cat............

I would be giving them up before you start the truck driving mate.

ZX....
Yeah, tell me about it Jim!!!

Thats half the reason I smoke so much now! Every traffic light, every roundabout, every delivery etc......you know how it is!
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 3:41 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Yeah, tell me about it Jim!!!

Thats half the reason I smoke so much now! Every traffic light, every roundabout, every delivery etc......you know how it is!
Hi rob...me again...well I work in a garage and sell fags...marlbroro one of the least sold I recon from recollection about 12.99 a packet. Yes more expensive than say most popular...winfield blues or peter jackson golds/blues,which are 11.49 a packet.these are 25,s thou not 20s

they tend to ask for fags in the milligrams of tar in them over here...and of course I dont know any of them...but I am learning. All that stuff and info is written on the packet...varies from 12,s to 2,s(2s not worth smoking cos they are like fresh air)

I gave up when I got here...I lasted 2 weeks...good luck with it..jan
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by peppi
Hi rob...me again...well I work in a garage and sell fags...marlbroro one of the least sold I recon from recollection about 12.99 a packet. Yes more expensive than say most popular...winfield blues or peter jackson golds/blues,which are 11.49 a packet.these are 25,s thou not 20s

they tend to ask for fags in the milligrams of tar in them over here...and of course I dont know any of them...but I am learning. All that stuff and info is written on the packet...varies from 12,s to 2,s(2s not worth smoking cos they are like fresh air)

I gave up when I got here...I lasted 2 weeks...good luck with it..jan
Thanx Peppi!!

I know winfields, you can get them over here....not a bad smoke actually!!
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pootle26
cos when you get here you will find that you cant smoke ANYWHERE!!
Not arf!

I remember being in a restaurant and asking where the smoking area was, and the waitress pointed to the street! ...lol
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:58 pm
J and M

Originally Posted by WendyC
Was waiting for it... LOL

There everywhere aren't they?

So for the record

I smoke and I like it.
Yes we are everywhere, and for the record I don't smoke and don't like it!. but both my parents did and died in their early fifties with COPD, I guess if you asked them they would say they both liked it too when they were alive.

Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:27 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J and M
Yes we are everywhere, and for the record I don't smoke and don't like it!. but both my parents did and died in their early fifties with COPD, I guess if you asked them they would say they both liked it too when they were alive.

My mum nearly died in march with COPD and gave up smoking after doing 60 a day for 40 years, she stopped straight away.

It was on Nov 11th she was diagnosed with lung cancer and we lost her 6 weeks later.

One of my sisters said it doesnt bother her remotely of going the same way, nor putting her kids through it 'I love my fags' was all she said.

I have no objection to people smoking but in my husbands workplace (kitchen/chef) the smokers opened the door which led to the canteen and filled up the kitchen with fag smoke, when hubby made them shut the door, they said it was too smokey.

I wouldnt wish the pain of what I felt on anyone and if someone wants to love their fags, then fine. But watching someone die of lung cancer isnt pretty, especially when their throat becomes blocked with blood.

I think smoke by all means, but dont do what my sister does and do it in front of your kids or where other people breathe it in. You have the right to smoke, we have the right not to.

And when I did a stinking fart near someone with a fag, they complained and said they didnt want to breathe it in. Likewise.

Your habit should not affect anyone else.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:42 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
OK, I'm a smoker but fully intend to quit when we start our new life down under!

Out of curiosity, I wondered how much a pack of 20 say, Marlboro Reds, costs in OZ???

Had heard a rumour they cost more than UK, is this true?
As they said, they are around 11 bucks for a pack of 25 ... the extra 5 made a big difference between me being a '2 pack week' man and cutting down to the single pack 'o' cancer sticks.

But I reckon they taste 'lighter' here than in the UK and so (with great stress) have marshalled all my willpower, made a New Years Resolution and had a long course of hypotherapy and acupucture in order to ... switch to Winfield Reds.

Don't forget: If you take 7 minutes to smoke one then you are even life-expectacy-wise AND you will appreciate having a pack handy when you get trapped in a laser-trapped room.

Regards and Best Wishes For The New Year (it may be your last ),
Matt
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 3:28 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

further to this, QLD also introduced more rules in september. can't remember what exactly, but i know that two-thirds of pubs/clubs must be smoke free. and tasmania went fully smoke free on jan 1st. can't wait for july 1st myself.

on a different note, i hated going back to the pubs in the uk and france last year. i'd got away from coming home smelling like i'd been sat on a bomfire all night - still smelt like i'd been sitting in a brewery tho!

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well for any people still mug enough to smoke and thinking of moving to Queensland (I make that comment as someone who ashamedly used to smoke):-

From 1 January 2005, the following areas are no-smoking zones:

· within 4 metres of an entrance to a non-residential building

· within 10 metres of children’s playground equipment that is ordinarily open to the public

· between the flags at patrolled beaches

· at artificial beaches (i.e. Southbank Beach, Brisbane)

· at any of the major sports stadiums managed by the Major Sports Facilities Authority (i.e. Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane)

· in at least one-third of the indoor area of liquor licensed premises and at least one-third of all poker machines.

The final phase of the reforms will come into effect 18 months later (on 1 July 2006) when the whole enclosed area of liquor licensed premises must be smoke-free. Non-enclosed eating and drinking places where food or drink is provided must also be no-smoking.

And a good job too I say! I really would suggest just quitting now and not later. Best thing I ever did for me and my family.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:32 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well for any people still mug enough to smoke and thinking of moving to Queensland (I make that comment as someone who ashamedly used to smoke):-

From 1 January 2005, the following areas are no-smoking zones:

· within 4 metres of an entrance to a non-residential building

· within 10 metres of children’s playground equipment that is ordinarily open to the public

· between the flags at patrolled beaches

· at artificial beaches (i.e. Southbank Beach, Brisbane)

· at any of the major sports stadiums managed by the Major Sports Facilities Authority (i.e. Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane)

· in at least one-third of the indoor area of liquor licensed premises and at least one-third of all poker machines.

The final phase of the reforms will come into effect 18 months later (on 1 July 2006) when the whole enclosed area of liquor licensed premises must be smoke-free. Non-enclosed eating and drinking places where food or drink is provided must also be no-smoking.

And a good job too I say! I really would suggest just quitting now and not later. Best thing I ever did for me and my family.
They made a Ireland a smoke free zone overnight a year or so ago. First entire country to do so. Devastated the hospitality business. At least they are moving it in gradually over here. For those that need help quitting, I recommend www.nicobloc.com, as you can smoke while quitting and it works.

Andrew
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:51 am
J and M

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My mum nearly died in march with COPD and gave up smoking after doing 60 a day for 40 years, she stopped straight away.

It was on Nov 11th she was diagnosed with lung cancer and we lost her 6 weeks later.

One of my sisters said it doesnt bother her remotely of going the same way, nor putting her kids through it 'I love my fags' was all she said.

I have no objection to people smoking but in my husbands workplace (kitchen/chef) the smokers opened the door which led to the canteen and filled up the kitchen with fag smoke, when hubby made them shut the door, they said it was too smokey.

I wouldnt wish the pain of what I felt on anyone and if someone wants to love their fags, then fine. But watching someone die of lung cancer isnt pretty, especially when their throat becomes blocked with blood.

I think smoke by all means, but dont do what my sister does and do it in front of your kids or where other people breathe it in. You have the right to smoke, we have the right not to.

And when I did a stinking fart near someone with a fag, they complained and said they didnt want to breathe it in. Likewise.

Your habit should not affect anyone else.
I wish I could have been as constructive in my post as you. Unfortunately because you cannot see the damage on the outside with smoking, smokers think nothing will happen to them. Sorry to hear what you went through. I also have no problems with people smoking it is their choice just as it is my choice not to smoke. I also don't like being labelled (by certain smokers on this thread) because I choose not to block up my arteries with cigarette smoke.

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J and M
I wish I could have been as constructive in my post as you. Unfortunately because you cannot see the damage on the outside with smoking, smokers think nothing will happen to them. Sorry to hear what you went through. I also have no problems with people smoking it is their choice just as it is my choice not to smoke. I also don't like being labelled (by certain smokers on this thread) because I choose not to block up my arteries with cigarette smoke.

My dad died from Smoking related lung cancer aged 48, so I know what it does. I would never dream of smoking near a non smoker as I am fully aware of the damage they cause.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by don544
my god rob, your a smoker to!! isn't there anything good we can say about you?
that is exactly what I was going to say!!! After his little xmas rampage he said he was done with the website and here he is posting again less than a week gone!!!!