Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with Taxation Information

Help with Taxation Information

Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about
Default Help with Taxation Information

Hi, was wondering if anyone can educate me on the Double Taxation form. My wife took out a trivial commutation on a small UK pension. If i recall the first 25% was tax free, then she payed Tax on the the remaining 75% in the UK. We were sent a Double Taxation form from the UK. We are not quite sure how this whole process works, as i read it, she fills it in and sends it off to the local ATO, we have no idea what happens then,or our legal responsibilities. Had a chat with our local accountant and they haven't seen the form before. Any help, info or advice much appreciated.

Rob
Old Jan 16th 2018, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help with Taxation Information

Yes I completed one for my UK company pension because it was being taxed in the UK. Fill it in return it to ATO who check it and forward it on to the UK taxman confirming you are an Oz resident for tax purposes.

A few months later I received a check for all my UK taxes that had been deducted from my UK pension and now my pension is tax free from the UK side of thing, but fully taxed in Oz (have to declare it on my Oz tax return).

This is the form I used
United Kingdom/Australia Double Taxation Convention (SI 2003 Number 3199)
APPLICATION for relief at source from United Kingdom income tax and
CLAIM to repayment of United Kingdom income tax
Old Jan 16th 2018, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Taxation Information

I did it by filling in a P53, which is what I was told by HMRC, but it seems I should have completed a R43, which is what my wife has just completed and sent off. The R43 is for non-residents, and for those that have received a P45 from your pension company. Complete C5.1 and C5.2 with the amount received and tax paid, respectively, as per the P45, and attach parts 2 and 3 of the P45 with your R43. Yo can elect for any rebate to go to your UK account, or a friend's UK account. I was not told anything about sending the form to ATO, just send it to HMRC. We elected to take the 25% and remainder in one go, which may be different to you - keeping some pot in the UK?