Question on RRV

Old Sep 13th 2005, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

RHONEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on RRV

We are returning to Oz before our visa's run out in Jan 2006.

When we return to Oz we know we need to do an extra 1.5 years before we can apply for an RRV.

This is because we have only done 0.5 years of the required minimum 2 yrs inside OZ.

The difficulty is we need to return to the UK for a couple of weeks for a wedding 7 months after we have entered OZ. My wife is a bridesmade for her best friend..

Is there no way we can leave even for special reason , what are example of good reason for temporary leave...2 weeks only

Thanks
Richard +Rachel
Old Sep 13th 2005, 7:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on RRV

Originally Posted by RHONEY
We are returning to Oz before our visa's run out in Jan 2006.

When we return to Oz we know we need to do an extra 1.5 years before we can apply for an RRV.

This is because we have only done 0.5 years of the required minimum 2 yrs inside OZ.

The difficulty is we need to return to the UK for a couple of weeks for a wedding 7 months after we have entered OZ. My wife is a bridesmade for her best friend..

Is there no way we can leave even for special reason , what are example of good reason for temporary leave...2 weeks only

Thanks
Richard +Rachel
Read form 968i but the bottom line is that if you don't get an RRV and your existing visa re-entry facility has expired, you can't go to the wedding if you want to keep your permanent resident status.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

DIMIA take this very seriously.

Your best hope is likely to apply for an RRV based on 'substantial ties' once you have clearly *settled* in Australia, ie you've got jobs, bought vehicles, put children in school, bought/rented property etc.

Avoiding hassles like this is the reason people should move to Australia within about 3 years of being granted permanent visas, not waiting right up until the 5 year deadline.

Jeremy