Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question re salary

Question re salary

Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re salary

The other thing to consider is where they currently live and the entertainment and lifestyle they are used too.
Brisbane is still rather redneck and behind the times compared to other metropolitan worldwide cities so this needs to be a big part of your decision.

From experience, being used to working in London and enjoying big city life and the ease and cheapness of outdoor/indoor activities then moving to Brisbane was a bit of an eye opener and hence why I'm moving to Melbourne.

Each to their own and all that, and I'm sure there will be some too jump down my throat, but I'm just being open and honest and in hind sight I personally would never have moved to Brisbane if I know that which I do now.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I am generally balanced, especially about Brisbane. I want it to be the place to be, I really do. It would make my 6 visits per year much more enjoyable

Not sure the Paddington 5 ways is the place to be these days, if its for a booze up anyway. A bit like Kings Cross, things are shifting. Check out Double Bay on your next visit. That place on a Friday and Saturday is immense.
Of course you are. My apologies. No, don't drink so boozers not necessary. Love walking around the streets of Sydney's Paddington though exploring; must be something in the name cause I love the backstreets of Paddington in Brisbane as well. Totally different but both great areas full of character and history.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 21st 2015 at 6:33 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Of course you are. My apologies. No, don't drink so boozers not necessary. Love walking around the streets of Sydney's Paddington though exploring; must be something in the name cause I love the backstreets of Paddington in Brisbane as well. Totally different but both great areas full of character and history.
We bought our house at fiveways. Love it. Especially compared to the ME, where we are busy working to pay off the mortgage.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
The other thing to consider is where they currently live and the entertainment and lifestyle they are used too.
Brisbane is still rather redneck and behind the times compared to other metropolitan worldwide cities so this needs to be a big part of your decision.

From experience, being used to working in London and enjoying big city life and the ease and cheapness of outdoor/indoor activities then moving to Brisbane was a bit of an eye opener and hence why I'm moving to Melbourne.

Each to their own and all that, and I'm sure there will be some too jump down my throat, but I'm just being open and honest and in hind sight I personally would never have moved to Brisbane if I know that which I do now.
Thank you? Even though he lives in London a large portion of his free time is spent on rock climbing, camping, mountain biking etc. He did spend a month in Brisbane this summer.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
Thank you? Even though he lives in London a large portion of his free time is spent on rock climbing, camping, mountain biking etc. He did spend a month in Brisbane this summer.
Brisbane is exceptional for outdoor pursuits. I just got back from a kayaking & camping trip today. I don't do rock climbing but I am told its reasonably good for that here. I assume MTB is pretty good here as I see a lot of people doing it.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
Brisbane is lucky enough to have rock climbing cliffs right in the city centre. Used by climbers most nights as floodlit as well.

Amazing city views. The climbers will often gather for bbq's in the parklands below.

Source: http://cdn.concreteplayground.com/co...-kp-cliffs.jpg

Source: http://i0.wp.com/uqmc.org/wp-content...it=1200%2C1200

Source: http://riverlife.com.au/wp-content/u...Adventures.jpg

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 22nd 2015 at 11:22 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some other popular climbing spots in the region are:

The Glasshouse Mountains

Source: http://www.grainandcrop.com/img/s5/v...25217068-5.jpg

and Mount Barney and neighbours for multi-pitch climbs:

Source: http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws....dfe73769d1.jpg

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 22nd 2015 at 11:23 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For mountain biking just 6km west of the city centre is Mt Coot-tha:

Source: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u6tbuP-ioe...by_1020173.jpg

It is home to Gap Creek mountain bike trails. There are many trails of various grades.

Source: http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/_files/mt_...oto_14_555.jpg

See this website for details of all the trails:Mt Coot-tha - Gap Creek - Queensland - MTB Dirt

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 22nd 2015 at 11:32 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like his kind of lifestyle. I will share with him but since he spent a month there he has probably checked it out already. Climbing is in his blood!
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
For mountain biking just 6km west of the city centre is Mt Coot-tha:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u6tbuP-ioe...by_1020173.jpg
Source: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u6tbuP-ioe...by_1020173.jpg

It is home to Gap Creek mountain bike trails. There are many trails of various grades.

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/_files/mt_...oto_14_555.jpg
Source: http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/_files/mt_...oto_14_555.jpg

See this website for details of all the trails:Mt Coot-tha - Gap Creek - Queensland - MTB Dirt
Wow there we go. Some good stuff in Brisbane. Fish ...... where have you been all this time
Old Dec 29th 2015, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beoz
The point is there is only one aspect of Sydney that makes it the most expensive city which is housing which granted, takes a far chunk of peoples outgoings. Everything else is the same or cheaper. You just have to have dinner in a restaurant in Brisbane or buy a coffee in Perth to see that blanket statement is false.

The point is the salaries are higher for most in Sydney (any stat you care to look up will tell you that its the highest paying city in Australia) which often will offset that housing cost.

And if you can offset that housing cost, why would you choose to live in any other city in Australia when you have everything and more than any other city has? OK it doesn't have a Mt Wellington, or a Great Ocean Road, but nearly everything
I'd pick Melbourne any day
Old Dec 29th 2015, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
It would be my second choice too
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
I finally get to move to Melbs this year. Thank F for that