Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question re Leaving a UK Bank Account

Wikiposts

Question re Leaving a UK Bank Account

Old Jun 16th 2005, 3:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re Leaving a UK Bank Account

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Still have mine after 18 months, seemingly you can keep it open for a year. best not to tell them you've moved overseas, telephone banking (first direct) comes in handy sometimes!
We have an account with First Direct - they send all statements & letters to our Australian address & have been doing so for the last 4 years!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question re Leaving a UK Bank Account

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Still have mine after 18 months, seemingly you can keep it open for a year. best not to tell them you've moved overseas, telephone banking (first direct) comes in handy sometimes! By the way the Inland revenue and DHSS are very helpful (that's a first) when it comes to claiming your pension overseas. Make sure you ring them to tell them your situation...I got a rebate :-)

Andy
I told mine I was moving to NZ 12 years ago and then told then I was off to Oz with local addresses both times and they didn't bat an eyelid. Still get statements sent out a couple of times a year and no problems. As they don't pay any interest I don't have to declare anything to the Oz taxman. They set me up for internet banking when it came available and they send me new ATM cards when mine expires all to an Oz address.

My biggest problem is getting hold of a UK phone number as they seem to keep changing it and just giving me a 0800 which is stuff all use from Oz.