Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question re Employment Agencies

Question re Employment Agencies

Old Dec 9th 2006, 6:53 pm
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question re Employment Agencies

If you get a job (30 hours per week) through an employment agency and work with the employer for a year (and therefore have your wages paid for a year by the agency), before being offered the position (38 hours per week) with the company, should you expect the hourly rate to rise, fall or stay the same?

You will have to forgive my ignorance but never worked through an agency until I got this job in Australia therefore not sure of the ins and outs of it all.

Cheers

Wendy
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re Employment Agencies

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
If you get a job (30 hours per week) through an employment agency and work with the employer for a year (and therefore have your wages paid for a year by the agency), before being offered the position (38 hours per week) with the company, should you expect the hourly rate to rise, fall or stay the same?

You will have to forgive my ignorance but never worked through an agency until I got this job in Australia therefore not sure of the ins and outs of it all.

Cheers

Wendy
Generally the hourly rate that temps receive is higher than the hourly rate that permanent staff receive - to take account of no holiday/sick pay and no job security. That is the rule of thumb in the UK. Couldn't comment on Oz.

HOWEVER having been there for a year already you obviously have experience so I personally would not accept a drop in salary. Otherwise you might as well stay with the agency! Unless there are significant perks/advatages to being permanent member of staff.

Last edited by esperanza; Dec 9th 2006 at 7:10 pm.