Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for the plumbers!

Question for the plumbers!

Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for the plumbers!

Is it normal to use an oxyacetylene torch to make copper joints? I've always had no trouble with a blowlamp or butane torch getting a good joint, but here it appears that unless the copper has been turned black it's no good!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice
Default Re: Question for the plumbers!

hi mate,
I think so, it is cos they use silver solder here and not soft solder

hope that helps

ROB>>>>
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thanks: that answers the question.

What is the advantage of silver solder?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice

The silver solder is almost like a brassed joint. it is a harder material and because of the higher temperature used, there is more penetration into the copper, so the hole thing makes for a much more robust joint. less likely to separate under extreme pressure and or temperature.

Now thats only my thoughts on it, but im sure that some bod will come along and blow my theory out of the water.

All the best

Rob>>>>>
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's just as well - the water pressure here is pretty high - can go up to almost 1000Kpa. It blows my hose connections off several times a day!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
That's just as well - the water pressure here is pretty high - can go up to almost 1000Kpa. It blows my hose connections off several times a day!
hi, sorry to butt in, its great to hear from real plumbers, been on here for a while and they seem to be few. OH plumber just about to put in TRA. Please can you tell me if there really is plenty of work and where, I noticed you are both in NSW, is this where the work is? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Becky
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Right this is likely to be long.
Yes there is loads of plumbing work in NSW, but there is a big but,

Whatever paperwork you do for the TRA get at least two copies may be even three.,
When you get here the TRA counts for nothing!!! in fact the powers to be here often dont even know who the TRA are!!!!

1st you have to do an occupational health and safety course for the construction industry. Known here as the green card. $120:00

2nd You have to go to the Vocational training tribunal. Here you have the copy of all your paperwork number one assessed, now this is for a craft certificate. this is only to say you have the experience needed t move onto the next bit and you will only get up to 4 years experience awarded. $150:00

3rd and this is the point I am at!! You have to go to tafe with copy number two your new craft certificate and your green card.
( TAFE here is like the City and Guilds or college is in the UK).
they cross reference everything with the Australian syllabus, what ever modules you dont have relevant training or experience in you have to sign on at tafe to do. If you are lucky and the bits you need to do are covered in one term and there are two of them. $375:00 if you are unlucky and have to pay for the year $750 this all gives you (certificate 3).,

4th office of fair trading with green card, craft cert and cert 3. you apply for registration. This allows you to work for a plumbing company, but you are not allowed to sign any work off. basically your foreman or some one has to check your work.
This goes on for two years or as long as you work for a company!! Only after two years of Aussie experience can you apply for a contractors licence, assuming that you have been back to TAFE and done certificate 4.

Now from what I can gather from talking to all of the organizations above, the employer can take you on if they deem that your overseas quals are adequate, but in my experience they wont because of insurance issues. I have had loads of job offers, but must get paperwork sorted out first!!

All of this is obviously the right way to go about it all in NSW, according to the above organizations, unless some one knows any other way. As I have had very little help from the people on the phone at the VTT, TAFE and office of fair trading. I have done loads of home work on the subject, but would like to here from anyone who can shed some light on the grey haze of it all,

Im just hoping that there is a hole I dont know of!!

I wish you well With your application.

All the best Cockney Rob>>>>>
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lightr0d2o
Right this is likely to be long.
Yes there is loads of plumbing work in NSW, but there is a big but,

Whatever paperwork you do for the TRA get at least two copies may be even three.,
When you get here the TRA counts for nothing!!! in fact the powers to be here often dont even know who the TRA are!!!!

1st you have to do an occupational health and safety course for the construction industry. Known here as the green card. $120:00

2nd You have to go to the Vocational training tribunal. Here you have the copy of all your paperwork number one assessed, now this is for a craft certificate. this is only to say you have the experience needed t move onto the next bit and you will only get up to 4 years experience awarded. $150:00

3rd and this is the point I am at!! You have to go to tafe with copy number two your new craft certificate and your green card.
( TAFE here is like the City and Guilds or college is in the UK).
they cross reference everything with the Australian syllabus, what ever modules you dont have relevant training or experience in you have to sign on at tafe to do. If you are lucky and the bits you need to do are covered in one term and there are two of them. $375:00 if you are unlucky and have to pay for the year $750 this all gives you (certificate 3).,

4th office of fair trading with green card, craft cert and cert 3. you apply for registration. This allows you to work for a plumbing company, but you are not allowed to sign any work off. basically your foreman or some one has to check your work.
This goes on for two years or as long as you work for a company!! Only after two years of Aussie experience can you apply for a contractors licence, assuming that you have been back to TAFE and done certificate 4.

Now from what I can gather from talking to all of the organizations above, the employer can take you on if they deem that your overseas quals are adequate, but in my experience they wont because of insurance issues. I have had loads of job offers, but must get paperwork sorted out first!!

All of this is obviously the right way to go about it all in NSW, according to the above organizations, unless some one knows any other way. As I have had very little help from the people on the phone at the VTT, TAFE and office of fair trading. I have done loads of home work on the subject, but would like to here from anyone who can shed some light on the grey haze of it all,

Im just hoping that there is a hole I dont know of!!

I wish you well With your application.

All the best Cockney Rob>>>>>
Thankyou very much for your reply, will have to get OH to read it when he's back from work. Out of interest what are you doing whilst all this is going on, work wise?

Becky
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

One of me mates has a franchise fitting tyres, so im helping him there and earning a bit.
Im also starting a course in real estate next week, Ill do almost any thing in the short term to earn a few $$$$$$. Michelle my wife is working full time as a hairdresser and we paid 6 monthes rent up front to give ourselves a bit of breathing space. If the real estate goes well the plumbing could become my safty net!
if you remind me I will give you as much info as i can as I go through the stages.

All the best Rob....
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

One of me mates has a franchise fitting tyres, so im helping him there and earning a bit.
Im also starting a course in real estate next week, Ill do almost any thing in the short term to earn a few $$$$$$. Michelle my wife is working full time as a hairdresser and we paid 6 monthes rent up front to give ourselves a bit of breathing space. If the real estate goes well the plumbing could become my safty net!
if you remind me I will give you as much info as i can as I go through the stages.

All the best Rob....
Thanks Rob, it would be great if you could keep us informed how you're getting on, as there's so much to learn and sooo much paperwork to go through, it would be great to think that there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Becky.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:37 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

All the best Rob....
Hi rob, thanks for all the information you have provided on this thread. My god it seems really daunting. It wouldn't be so bad if you could go to college and just get the equivalent certifiactes, but you have to pay for them as well. My OH is and plumber and heating engineer and he loves his job, although I know he would do anything else to keep us afloat. Our other problem is that my qualifications aren't recognised either (i'm a social worker) so I will probably have to retrain or do something else.
thanks once again for your insight, any other info you think of, we'd really appreciate it if you PM us or put it on here.
bec and egg
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:38 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by john& becky
Thanks Rob, it would be great if you could keep us informed how you're getting on, as there's so much to learn and sooo much paperwork to go through, it would be great to think that there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Becky.
Hi Becky, where are you and OH thinking of going?
bec
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by egghead4
Hi Becky, where are you and OH thinking of going?
bec
Hi Becky, we are thinking Brisbane but a little further out would like a little land but it all depends where the work is. I'm a nursery nurse and not sure if my qualification is recognised either. How far on are you with application and where are you headed?

Becky.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough

Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but I've got a couple of points to add to this topic.

I'm going over as a spouse and so far I haven't had to forward my plumbing qualifications to anyone. I didnt have to get them TRA assessed either.
I emailed a TAFE college in NSW and scanned my quals for an advisor to look at.
He came back to me and said , based on what I'd sent him, I'd be classed as a journeyman plumber.
I told him I would have difficulty in producing evidence of experience...he said...not a problem !
I could get a licence to work unsupervised at a plumbing company, but If I wanted to work self employed...I'd have to goto college.

I dont know what to do now I've read this thread
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:08 pm
NZ for me

whyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robowen
Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but I've got a couple of points to add to this topic.

I'm going over as a spouse and so far I haven't had to forward my plumbing qualifications to anyone. I didnt have to get them TRA assessed either.
I emailed a TAFE college in NSW and scanned my quals for an advisor to look at.
He came back to me and said , based on what I'd sent him, I'd be classed as a journeyman plumber.
I told him I would have difficulty in producing evidence of experience...he said...not a problem !
I could get a licence to work unsupervised at a plumbing company, but If I wanted to work self employed...I'd have to goto college.

I dont know what to do now I've read this thread
Whats your qualifications robowen? We are thinking of emigrating in the next few years and I have my City & Guilds Levels 1 and 2, so I was just wondering if I could do the same kind of thing as you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.