Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question for ping-pongers and others that advise

A question for ping-pongers and others that advise

Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:20 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question for ping-pongers and others that advise

I've noticed that quite a few posters advise ping-pongers to wait xxx number of years for citizenship, so they can "pong" if the ping doesn't work

My question to these posters is - if you had to give up UK citizenship to get OZ citizenship, would you give the same advice to wait a couple of years, or would you say "forget it, get out now"?

Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for ping-pongers and others that advise

Trick question or what??
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
I've noticed that quite a few posters advise ping-pongers to wait xxx number of years for citizenship, so they can "pong" if the ping doesn't work

My question to these posters is - if you had to give up UK citizenship to get OZ citizenship, would you give the same advice to wait a couple of years, or would you say "forget it, get out now"?

Ah yes but if your aunt was a bloke she'd be your uncle!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

No I would never have taken Australian Citizenship if I had to have given up my UK citizenship.

The UK citizenship has the added benefit of access to Europe and for me the desire to stay only in Australia for the rest of my life is not strong.

There are other European countries who may force you to give up nationality to accept Australian citizenship, I think Germany is one as I know of one couple where the husband has taken Oz and wife has not. Bit of a prediciment if they split up but they are working on the basis that one will always sponsor the other if they move between the countries.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids

Reckon you been swimming in the chocolate again.

Often wondered that myself though.

Someone inclined to ping pong is in most cases a person who for various reasons cannot settle.

In that case I would suggest they stay on not for the citizenship qualification but to satisfy themselves if this is the place for them or not.

I think that only by toughing it out for a while will you really know the answer to that question.

To me citizenship is a different subject and if I decide to apply for it the reason will be my committment to this country.

If I had to relinquish British citizenship that would not make any difference to the decision as it would be a decision based on positives rather than negatives.

For me it would not be about burning bridges but building a new one.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
There are other European countries who may force you to give up nationality to accept Australian citizenship, I think Germany is one as I know of one couple where the husband has taken Oz and wife has not.
Not even true for Germany any more - German citizens can keep German citizenship (on becoming Australian citizens) if they get permission in advance from the German government.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - I wouldn't have given up UK citizenship for the simple reason that my son is a UK citizen and I wouldn't/couldn't force him to give up citizenship of a country he may choose to live in later in life.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nope - I wouldn't have given up UK citizenship for the simple reason that my son is a UK citizen and I wouldn't/couldn't force him to give up citizenship of a country he may choose to live in later in life.
There is absolutely no way for parents to cancel the British citizenship of a child, irrespective of any other country's law.

Some countries do revoke the citizenship of children whose parents lose or renounce citizenship (including Australia, in some circumstances) but not the United Kingdom.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is absolutely no way for parents to cancel the British citizenship of a child, irrespective of any other country's law.

Some countries do revoke the citizenship of children whose parents lose or renounce citizenship (including Australia, in some circumstances) but not the United Kingdom.
I know ... but the original question was " if you had to give up UK citizenship to get OZ citizenship..." which isn't the case anyway.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:09 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Reckon you been swimming in the chocolate again.
well I did have a glass or few, which was what got me to "thinking" - always dangerous, as you know