Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for people just moved to Oz - any luck in finding jobs?

Question for people just moved to Oz - any luck in finding jobs?

Old May 16th 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

tags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for people just moved to Oz - any luck in finding jobs?

We are particulary interested to hear from people in the construction sector (quantity surveyors, project managers, engineers) who have recently moved to Australia. Is there many jobs going in the current economic climate?

I see that they are constantly reviewing the CSL list, and notice that QS is still on the list.

We haven't lodged our application yet, but have all the paperwork ready, however, we stalled for a while as we were unsure of job prospects over there at the moment...

Any info. appreciated!
Old May 16th 2009, 8:30 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Question for people just moved to Oz - any luck in finding jobs?

The engineering sector has certainly picked up in teh past week or two I know of a Brit on a WHV get a job as an Draftsman and Another mate of mine also got a job this week. I have a job interview this week for anotehr drafting job.

Long term though unemployment will still hit 8%

If you are in the finance sector or a tradesman the msg is still give australia a miss for a year or two.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

My little sister went out to Perth in Feb this year ...

she has been in a new job for a month now (training manager for a charity), her husband was working within 4 weeks (store manager for Bunnings) & they bought a property 5 weeks ago

All going good for those guys!!
Old May 16th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

wannabe in oz will become famous soon enough

is the job front in oz really that bad or is there work out there for those that are willing to do it?
Old May 16th 2009, 9:03 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabe in oz
is the job front in oz really that bad or is there work out there for those that are willing to do it?
I've got an experienced Construction Project Manager working in the warehouse cos the poor chap can't find any work.

Believe me he's a smart fella. I feel his pain
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

tanman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I've got an experienced Construction Project Manager working in the warehouse cos the poor chap can't find any work.

Believe me he's a smart fella. I feel his pain
We're - wife + 3 kids - are thinking of heading out, we're got all the visa paperwork ready to go but are not sure on the job front - can anyone give us a steer on the prospects on PQS jobs???
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:32 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tanman
We're - wife + 3 kids - are thinking of heading out, we're got all the visa paperwork ready to go but are not sure on the job front - can anyone give us a steer on the prospects on PQS jobs???
Not sure what PQS stands for?

Also, where abouts in Aus are you heading mate?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

tanman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Not sure what PQS stands for?

Also, where abouts in Aus are you heading mate?
Professional Quantity Surveyor - essentially controls costs on construction projects

Heading for Melbourne or Sydney the current plan

Anyone got an idea as to how long it takes for the skilled visa application to go through?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Well, to be brutally honest
You haven't even lodged your application....... you'll be in the queue for 12Months to get a Visa........ Who knows what the job situation will be like
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by tanman
Professional Quantity Surveyor - essentially controls costs on construction projects

Heading for Melbourne or Sydney the current plan

Anyone got an idea as to how long it takes for the skilled visa application to go through?
Ahh thanks for that mate.

Basically if it's construction this seems to be picking up but mainly on government projects which they are obviously protecting so as to keep the economy going. I'm in Brisbane so no idea of Melbourne or Sydney however I would have thought they would be the same....

Regarding how long the skilled visa may take: This might be something you search for in the Australia Immigration forum as they have people in their on timelines that may like to research to give you an idea
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:17 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Surveying is a bit of a mare... friend is BS from UK worked as Project manager before heading out.

Has a Masters, but has had to go back to Uni to 'upgrade' to Aussie standards!
Working in Building control as inspector. Money is pants, according to him. Keeps applying for PM jobs not even getting an interview at the moment.

It is SA though and other States might well be different.

Sorry to deliver doom and gloom. Things will pick up I'm sure, but the real question is when and the answer, after consulting my crystal ball is

'How long is a piece of string?'