Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question of morals and honesty..what would YOU do?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Would you do the right thing?
Yes, Id fess up. Id never rip a friend off!
58.57%
Id pretend I'd never seen it happen!
2.86%
Id admit if I couldnt afford it and try and come to an arrangement!
35.71%
I would deny that my child wsa no where near the car and how dare you accuse my little prince?
2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

A question of morals and honesty..what would YOU do?

Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A question of morals and honesty..what would YOU do?

I think it is a shame to lose a friend over a scratch on a car. I am sure you are disappointed in your friend that they have behaved like this. I guess they are not a true blue mate anyhow and the friendship would have probably fizzled out when you move to Oz anyhow.

Katie
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucyb
SO my q is, if it was your child or you, would you hold your hands up and be honest or would you be a minger like my friend and try and worm your way out!
Be honest!
It has happened to me and I paid up. My kid, my problem is how I see it

And I paid for a friends floor to be re-done. My angels let my friends hamster out and he ate through the floorboards

It was years ago.

Just got over it

Last edited by phoenixinoz; Nov 1st 2005 at 3:19 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

The first thing I would do is write a polite letter to friend pointing out how disappointed you are with her u-turn over agreeing to pay for the damage. DOn't be sarky, be polite and dignified. She'll feel silly for sending undignified text messages.

Secondly, I would get help over what appears to be an unhealthy obsession. Yes, we all like nivce possessions but the extremes you are going to to protect your car are ridiculous. Spend more time with your kids instead of worrying about a heap of metal. How stupid to take regos in a carpark - would you be able to prove that any damage was done by the car next to you rather than a trolley, buggy or kid pushing a bike between parked cars? Do you really go to extremes of phoning the police or insurance company to report a scratch? Seriously, get help. Your obsession is shallow. People are more important than cars so focus your energies into something worthwhile.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:52 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
The first thing I would do is write a polite letter to friend pointing out how disappointed you are with her u-turn over agreeing to pay for the damage. DOn't be sarky, be polite and dignified. She'll feel silly for sending undignified text messages.

Secondly, I would get help over what appears to be an unhealthy obsession. Yes, we all like nivce possessions but the extremes you are going to to protect your car are ridiculous. Spend more time with your kids instead of worrying about a heap of metal. How stupid to take regos in a carpark - would you be able to prove that any damage was done by the car next to you rather than a trolley, buggy or kid pushing a bike between parked cars? Do you really go to extremes of phoning the police or insurance company to report a scratch? Seriously, get help. Your obsession is shallow. People are more important than cars so focus your energies into something worthwhile.
Someone dented my wife's 2 week old Lexus in the car park, tried to get CCTV footage but they didn't seem bothered! Cost £250 to put it right. So aannoying
Old Nov 1st 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ozceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the rough

To be honest if this was my car I would not notice it for about six months and then I would not give a @~#' It's a car FFS You know, we use them to drive around in, get us from A to B, they are just convenient transport.

If it was my kid I would laugh is one of my mates asked me to cough up, I might admit it but no way would I pay up, absolutely not!

You come across to me as a bit stuck up and anal, get over it and chill out.

Have a beer.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Gippsland, Victoria since April '05 and loving it! (ex-Belgium)
Libra76 will become famous soon enough

It's the principle. This is not about whether you should or shouldn't care about a car so much. It's about if you or your child damages someone else's property, then you pay for it, simple as that. I would definitely pay if my child was at fault, I wouldn't even think twice about it. And I would expect the same from my friends. I don't think any of our friends would react the way your so-called friend did

I also think that if you care about your car so much, you might want to start 'warning' kids in that situation next time? I mean this in a good way, e.g. I love my photo camera and if it is lying on the benchtop in the kitchen while we're having a party and there's children around playing, then I tell them 'watch it! don't touch this camera!!'. Might help them be a bit more careful IYKWIM?

Cheers
Els
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:29 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozceltic
You come across to me as a bit stuck up and anal, get over it and chill out.

Have a beer.
Bloody hell, mate, you're being abit harsh. Where does this 'stuck up and anal' come from?? So Lucy is proud of her car -as are at lot of people out there - nothing wrong with that. But this isn't about the car, it's about her friends reaction after she had already accepted that her Son had damaged the car - and changed her tune after Lucy told her how much it would cost to fix.

Nicky
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:33 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer

Sorry, JS, but can I ask if you really are Jerry Springer. It's just that your posting sounds exactly like the litle talk he gives to the camera at the end of his talk-show???

Nicky
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the friend should pay up. I certainly would if it was my child.

However, I cant help but think this accident was partly your own fault. If you knew the child was on a bike why did you open the window for him to come over to the car in the first place? I would have said that it was fine for him to come and look in the car but could he leave his bike at a safe distance. My car is an absolute banger and that is not an exaggeration, but I do not let my kids near it on their bikes.

It is a bit unfair to call him Damian. I'm sure he didnt do it on purpose.

Tracey
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:01 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by tracey.d
It is a bit unfair to call him Damian.
LOL! Well, it is a terrible name!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
LOL! Well, it is a terrible name!
I know but bloody hell! The kids getting the blame for his mad mother. He only wanted to say hello to the baby
Old Nov 1st 2005, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

I ask because I am utterly livid at the moment.

I must confess to being abnormally in love with my car, for a bird. Now I keep her spotless and pristine at all times and know every minute imperfection on the body work. I am so anal that sometimes, when I park, if the car in the adjacent space is too close, I make a note of their numberplate just in case they ding my doors. Whenever I return to my car I always check the sides to make sure nobody has damaged it in my absence. Totally anal I know, but there you go, I love my car. SO I picked up my daughter and my 'friends' oldest son, whom I shall call Damian. Put baby in his car seats. Car all clear. Got to Damians house and deposited said spawn of satan in his home andfriend arrived home with son number 2, Lucifer. Lucifer starts riding his bike in circles round my car. Im sweating. But thinking, chill out, the mum is around she will be ok (Im sat in the car chatting to her) Lucifer decides to come and say hello to baby so I let back passengers side window open and he hangs off the window frame. Im thinking chill! WHen I hear a thud and the bike drops to the floor. I thought 'Im not going to make a scene' so I wait till I get home and there is a FU***** great scratch the size of the channel tunnel on the door where Lucifer was. (OK, 3 inches, but it has gone right through all the layers of paint so is glowing like a white streamer on the side of my dark blue car. Still with me? (this is like therapy! great to unload! )

I phoned my friend who immediately admitted liabilty and told me to get a qte and I now find its going to be £200 to fix and as soon as she knew that she turned into a completely different person to the one I know. A grade a Biatch. She told me to chill out and said she doubts Lucifer did it as she was standing right behind him (I will almost put money on the fact that she saw him do it and tried to cover up) and then she says she hasnt got £200! She lives in a 5 bed house has a brand new BMW and Ford Galaxy. Whatever. What are people like? Looks like Im going to get screwed by her and Im f****** LIVID as I may have already mentioned! MY car looks like it's ready for banger racing now and I have gone a bit mental and donet even want to drive it. ( I have PMT which makes everything 10 times worse-sorry boys). SO my q is, if it was your child or you, would you hold your hands up and be honest or would you be a minger like my friend and try and worm your way out!
Be honest!

first of all I would start by understanding a car is a mode of transport to get you from A to B and not some prized possession that will do your head in if it gets damaged.......and yes the kid or the kids mum should pay for the repair.......life is too short to be getting all stressed out about a scratch on a car.....I would look at the situation you have and realize that it just cost you 200 quid to find out that you actually don't have a very good "friend".......if it cost you 200 quid to find out about every friend you have then I would consider that a very good investment.......good luck and once again chill out about the car
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:18 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with Renth - it is just a car. Your friend is probably completely gobsmacked that you have reacted like that - after all - it's just a scratch.

So happy I live here where most people care so much less. My car has scratches all over it - we have acreage so naturally the little DagBoys choose to cycle round my parked car. Plus, the only way to keep a car scratch free here is to keep it at home, which would be a little pointless.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:21 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so getting an old banger when I get to Oz, it's not worth the hassle of buying anything half decent....Id probably have a nervous breakdown every time I went to Coles otherwise!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:34 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I ask because I am utterly livid at the moment.

I must confess to being abnormally in love with my car, for a bird. Now I keep her spotless and pristine at all times and know every minute imperfection on the body work. I am so anal that sometimes, when I park, if the car in the adjacent space is too close, I make a note of their numberplate just in case they ding my doors. Whenever I return to my car I always check the sides to make sure nobody has damaged it in my absence. Totally anal I know, but there you go, I love my car. SO I picked up my daughter and my 'friends' oldest son, whom I shall call Damian. Put baby in his car seats. Car all clear. Got to Damians house and deposited said spawn of satan in his home andfriend arrived home with son number 2, Lucifer. Lucifer starts riding his bike in circles round my car. Im sweating. But thinking, chill out, the mum is around she will be ok (Im sat in the car chatting to her) Lucifer decides to come and say hello to baby so I let back passengers side window open and he hangs off the window frame. Im thinking chill! WHen I hear a thud and the bike drops to the floor. I thought 'Im not going to make a scene' so I wait till I get home and there is a FU***** great scratch the size of the channel tunnel on the door where Lucifer was. (OK, 3 inches, but it has gone right through all the layers of paint so is glowing like a white streamer on the side of my dark blue car. Still with me? (this is like therapy! great to unload! )

I phoned my friend who immediately admitted liabilty and told me to get a qte and I now find its going to be £200 to fix and as soon as she knew that she turned into a completely different person to the one I know. A grade a Biatch. She told me to chill out and said she doubts Lucifer did it as she was standing right behind him (I will almost put money on the fact that she saw him do it and tried to cover up) and then she says she hasnt got £200! She lives in a 5 bed house has a brand new BMW and Ford Galaxy. Whatever. What are people like? Looks like Im going to get screwed by her and Im f****** LIVID as I may have already mentioned! MY car looks like it's ready for banger racing now and I have gone a bit mental and donet even want to drive it. ( I have PMT which makes everything 10 times worse-sorry boys). SO my q is, if it was your child or you, would you hold your hands up and be honest or would you be a minger like my friend and try and worm your way out!
Be honest!
I was expecting you to say a lot more than GBP200 so I would tell her she got off lightly.

Thing is, with the House, BMW and Galaxy she is prob up to her oxters in debt, hence the reason she is freaking at the thought of a bill for GBP200, so you could just let it go and feel totally superior

PS. I may be biased in my opinion cos I am such a crap driver that my car is not important to me. (6 accidents in 4 years, ALL of them my fault and 5 out of 6 didnt involve another car :scared: ) As far as I'm concerned a car is a means of getting from A to B. Having said that since hubby bought me my new car I have been a v.careful driver and not had an accident in over a year now (almost a record for me - typical blonde driver I am )

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Nov 2nd 2005 at 1:43 am. Reason: to add a PS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.