Reload this Page >

A question For Firing1

A question For Firing1

Old May 14th 2003, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

alilandeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question For Firing1

Hi

Watched your programme last nite and i thought it was great. Sorry that you had some very rude comments made to your wife, but I feel she did a great job and was very positive and was really keen to give it a really good go. I hope it all works out well for all of you.

My question is On the programme you had a business running the band room. The francise you brought was in car valeting, did the NZIS not require you to start a business in a venture that you already had experience in or had you done valeting before?

Hubby and I are exploring all avenues of getting into NZ and we would have some capital to invest. I have run an engineering company here in the Uk but would like to do something completley different. Any advise would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Allison
Old May 14th 2003, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

don't forget it was a franchise so everything is in place ready for the applicant to arrive and start being trained etc

cheers

richard
Old May 14th 2003, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A question For Firing1

Hi Alison,

Sorry for sticking my beak in , but for what it's worth NZIS are only interested in your business experience, so as long as you didn't go bankrupt or anything, and you follow the requirements for your business plan you'll be ok (unless your business involves marketing Kiwi's as 'the new chicken!'). We too have looked at this, only thing that concerns me is the profitability of my existing business (currently being sold), but we haven't failed exactly.

So is this 'plan D' for you too then?

Gra...
Old May 14th 2003, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

alilandeg is an unknown quantity at this point

[Hi Gra.B

No worries, thanks for replying. Yes it does form plan D for us, but I always thought that you could only run a business in NZ on a business visa if you had run the same business in the UK.

Of course you have a franchise at the moment, would you not recommend investing in one? I like the idea that the business idea is already established, so I guess putting together a business plan for NZIS would be a lot easier. I think this would be the final option for us because of the amount of money involved.

I guess you have no more news, horrible waiting isn`t it.

Allison
Old May 14th 2003, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by alilandeg
[Hi Gra.B

No worries, thanks for replying. Yes it does form plan D for us, but I always thought that you could only run a business in NZ on a business visa if you had run the same business in the UK.

Of course you have a franchise at the moment, would you not recommend investing in one? I like the idea that the business idea is already established, so I guess putting together a business plan for NZIS would be a lot easier. I think this would be the final option for us because of the amount of money involved.

I guess you have no more news, horrible waiting isn`t it.

Allison
Yup! Still waiting!

Actually I would thoroughly recommend running a franchise. We'll be looking into it again whatever route we choose to get to NZ.
Research is the key. When we started out we were taken in by the sales pitch from the company, & relied too much on the level of work that was suggested the company would supply us. We also didn't talk to other franchisees before starting. I kind of felt that no matter what they said we would've still gone into it.

It hasn't been as bad as I'm probably making out. It helps if the business is something you're interested in. This time though, if we do go into something again, I'll talk to as many existing businesses as possible, as the average turnover quoted by the company may not paint a true picture. This is common sense I guess, we just got a bit carried away with it all.

Gra..
Old May 14th 2003, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

The car valeting service franchise is based in Auckland...