Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question to everyone who is going/ went on 457 visa...

Question to everyone who is going/ went on 457 visa...

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

lulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nice
Question Question to everyone who is going/ went on 457 visa...

Hi everyone!

Just wondering who all you 457' ers flew with when emigrating (or are planning to fly with) ? I'm trying to work out which airline to choose based on luggage allowance/ cost and that.

I know a friend of mine got extra baggage allowance for a perm' visa, did anyone get extra allowance for a temp stay visa? Also trying to work out how much extra it would cost to take extra baggage, I just had a look on emirates website and it quotes £1050 for an extra bag of 30kg

I had no idea extra baggage was that much!? haha

Cheers guys, Lucy.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to everyone who is going/ went on 457 visa...

Originally Posted by lulabell
Hi everyone!

Just wondering who all you 457' ers flew with when emigrating (or are planning to fly with) ? I'm trying to work out which airline to choose based on luggage allowance/ cost and that.

I know a friend of mine got extra baggage allowance for a perm' visa, did anyone get extra allowance for a temp stay visa? Also trying to work out how much extra it would cost to take extra baggage, I just had a look on emirates website and it quotes £1050 for an extra bag of 30kg

Cheers guys, Lucy.
An extra allowance on a 457 is virtually unheard of.
Cheaper options are - Excess Baggage Co who will take your bag at Heathrow and it gets here usually a couple of days after you, or www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk - very quick and efficient, pick up from your home.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:33 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

Cheers guys, Lucy.
Check out flying via the USA. You will get a higher allowance.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

We came over on a 457 in March '08. We flew with Singapore Airlines. I called them at the time and asked about extra baggage allowance, but since we weren't coming on a PR visa, only allowed 20Kg each + 7Kg hand luggage.

Wasn't a massive problem as we have 6 kids, so all up had an allowance of 160Kg hold luggage (20Kg x 8) and 56Kg carry on (7Kg x 8).

We got hold of 8 of the small suitcase on wheels as carry-on bags, just about the biggest size you're allowed for carry-on, and crammed them full of stuff that wouldn't fit in the hold luggage too. Also, we took 2 laptops, which are allowed over and above the carry-on luggage. used fairly large laptop bags (not rucksack style) and put extra stuff in those too.

It was pretty stressful herding 6 kids and that much luggage around airports for 24 hours! Thank god we're PR now and never have to do that again
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

katietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant future

When we flew out 3 years ago, we sent a bag as cargo which worked out a lot cheaper than excess baggage. From memory, it was about GBP65 from Manchester, and we picked it up two days after we arrived in Australia. Be aware through, that there are charges at this end - it was about another $70 for cargo and quarantine inspections. Also, there was a lot of driving backwards and forwards between the cargo collection place and customs/quarantine, so you would need some sort of transport to manage - at least there was at Brisbane, so I assume it would be similar elsewhere.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

Cheers guys, Lucy.
No extra baggage allowance for Temp visa's. But my company provided me with a 500kg Air Freight allowance, as well as normal household removals, and that arrived a few days after us. Enabled us to put all our non urgent clothing requirements and bedding in that plus some extras we wanted which we didn't want to wait 6 weeks for with the household removals. Ask your new employers/potential employers if they will provide you that facility as part of your resettlement package.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

FrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really nice

We flew over from Dubai to Brisbane in May 08. We came to the airport Dubai with 6 big luggage, 2 kids trolleys, 4 handbags, 2 kids car seat and lots of other small stuff ...
After taking the weight of 131 kg (allowed was 4x20 kg per person regardless of your one-way flight ticket and so on) and a nice chat to the person behind the counter we didn't pay anything for 51 kg over the limit.

People in ME are veru concious about families ...

Good Luck

PS: Emirates in probably the best airline for come over to Oz ... don't go with a local airline ... all crap

Frank
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

BA has a very reasonable policy for excess bags:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...c/public/en_gb

...according to that £72 per extra checked in bag (of 23kg). That's equivalent to about 2kg of excess fees on some carriers.

According to their policy you can take upto 253kg each!!

BA only fly to Sydney so if you were going to change onto a Qantas flight to another city you'd need to check that the same rules apply - with BA to Qantas I'd image it would.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

lulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nicelulabell is just really nice
Talking Re: Question to everyone who is going/ went on 457 visa...

Thats great everyone!

Thank you so much for all your help, thats given me lots to look at, and think about.

Cheers Lucy.