Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question on buying a Car in OZ and Bringing Money in during the first move.

Question on buying a Car in OZ and Bringing Money in during the first move.

Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:09 am
Now a Citizen. YAY!

Ron888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question on buying a Car in OZ and Bringing Money in during the first move.

Hi guys...

I'm going to OZ under a 2-year 457 visa and got a couple of questions for the move.

1. Can I mortgage a car there while under the 457? or is the only option paying it in full?

2. How much am I allowed to bring in OZ as cash? What do you guys do to bring all your money in OZ during your first move?

Would appreciate any inputs/thoughts on these. Thanks.

Cheers,
Ron.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Question on buying a Car in OZ and Bringing Money in during the first move.

Iam new to this site, so dont know the answer to help you, but would be interested in any replies myself.
Incidentally, how long did it take to get your visa?
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:57 am
Now a Citizen. YAY!

Default Re: Question on buying a Car in OZ and Bringing Money in during the first move.

Originally Posted by WacandJill
Iam new to this site, so dont know the answer to help you, but would be interested in any replies myself.
Incidentally, how long did it take to get your visa?
Hi WacAndJill... I havent gotten any replies yet save yours...

I've done a bit of digging and I think AUD 10,000 is pretty much the maximum you can bring in as cash. All the rest need to transferred via bank transfer.

For the car... got no idea yet. But I'll be there in 10-Sep and I'll ask around...

As for my visa, this took just around 11 or 12 days...

Cheers,
Ron.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:02 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ron888
Hi guys...

I'm going to OZ under a 2-year 457 visa and got a couple of questions for the move.

1. Can I mortgage a car there while under the 457? or is the only option paying it in full?

2. How much am I allowed to bring in OZ as cash? What do you guys do to bring all your money in OZ during your first move?

Would appreciate any inputs/thoughts on these. Thanks.

Cheers,
Ron.
There are quite a few threads on how to transfer money but I notice your not from the UK so I dont know if you would be transferring in GBP or other currency. You are allowed however to bring as much as you like into the country by tansfer via banks, exchange companies etc, but in terms of how much physical money you can carry when stepping off the plane that is limited but only to the tune of thousands. I cant remember the figure.

There are many exchange companies out there eager to take your cash - hifx springs to mind and moneycorp.

As to buying a car then you will probably be quite limited since you will have zero credit rating which does make things a little challenging
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:19 am
Now a Citizen. YAY!

Originally Posted by Centurion
There are quite a few threads on how to transfer money but I notice your not from the UK so I dont know if you would be transferring in GBP or other currency. You are allowed however to bring as much as you like into the country by tansfer via banks, exchange companies etc, but in terms of how much physical money you can carry when stepping off the plane that is limited but only to the tune of thousands. I cant remember the figure.

There are many exchange companies out there eager to take your cash - hifx springs to mind and moneycorp.

As to buying a car then you will probably be quite limited since you will have zero credit rating which does make things a little challenging
Hi Centurion,

Thanks for the tips.. I'll try using ANZ as for the car... mortgage may really not be a viable option then...

Cheers,
Ron.