Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

question for Bondipom.. Au ISP addresses

question for Bondipom.. Au ISP addresses

Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default question for Bondipom.. Au ISP addresses

Bondi,

Say a website , a backdoor way to a pay for site ,that you had a password to get in free no longer works ( was working for a few days.) " Incorrect dial-up password entered.Please enter your library ID, barcode, or other ID" You get this message when you try and log in. But people with UK ISP's can still get in using the same way/same password etc etc.
would you say that they have blocked people with AU ISP's.. or is this not possible? And the people here in Aus, including me can't get into the site anymore for another reason/problem.

Ie can they block Au ISP addresses.. and give out this "incorrect dial up password" message.. the same password still works for people in the UK, gets them into this certain site for free. where I and some others who are in Aus can't get in anymore.

Hope that made sense

Cheers
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:06 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: question for Bondipom.. Au ISP addresses

Originally Posted by Ceri
Ie can they block Au ISP addresses.. and give out this "incorrect dial up password" message.. the same password still works for people in the UK, gets them into this certain site for free. where I and some others who are in Aus can't get in anymore.
Ceri
Any website owner can block any IP or any range of IP addresses.
a quote from my admin panel:
This feature will allow you to block any range of ips you wish from accessing your web site.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Bondi,

Say a website , a backdoor way to a pay for site ,that you had a password to get in free no longer works ( was working for a few days.) " Incorrect dial-up password entered.Please enter your library ID, barcode, or other ID" You get this message when you try and log in. But people with UK ISP's can still get in using the same way/same password etc etc.
would you say that they have blocked people with AU ISP's.. or is this not possible? And the people here in Aus, including me can't get into the site anymore for another reason/problem.

Hope that made sense

Cheers
It is possible to block IP addresses and most IP addresses are co-incidentally assigned geographically. Apparently George Bush's website blocked all outside North America in the days before the US election.

There is a way around it but you will need to know someone who has a proxy server in the UK. You will need to know someone in the UK tech savvy enough to set one up. Basically you connect internet explorer to the proxy server and the web site will think you are in the UK.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
It is possible to block IP addresses and most IP addresses are co-incidentally assigned geographically. Apparently George Bush's website blocked all outside North America in the days before the US election.

There is a way around it but you will need to know someone who has a proxy server in the UK. You will need to know someone in the UK tech savvy enough to set one up. Basically you connect internet explorer to the proxy server and the web site will think you are in the UK.
For example, many people working for large corporations may access the Internet through a proxy server based in the corporation's HQ, and any external website will 'think' you are in that country.

Jeremy
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Bondi.. see if this works for you , as you're in aus too. I'm sending you a PM.. this link, and password worked for me until recently. Another user in the UK is having no prob and still getting through this way, but others here in Aus like me are not getting through this way anymore..

( it is an American site)

cheers for your help

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 8th 2004 at 2:46 am.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 3:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Bondi.. see if this works for you , as you're in aus too. I'm sending you a PM.. this link, and password worked for me until recently. Another user in the UK is having no prob and still getting through this way, but others here in Aus like me are not getting through this way anymore..

( it is an American site)

cheers for your help
No luck for me I am afraid. shame I do not have access to an international proxy.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 3:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

No luck for me I am afraid. shame I do not have access to an international proxy.
cheers Bondi, thank you for the help , it is what I suspected.

Sue .. you lucky person you .. use it while you can, before they ban you lot with Uk IPS's.. I had maybe three days of access to it , may have been a week. Come last Friday.. nothing ( have they got something against people in Aus taking the "backdoor" or what? lol)

cheers, and thanks

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 8th 2004 at 4:02 am.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Ok guys,

check out these pages of international proxy servers. Just scan through the lists for the UK ones.

Please note these do not all work, but certainly you will find some that do. You can also use these to get broadband content from the BBC news website, which is normally restricted to UK people.

To apply the server settings, click on Tools, internet options then open the connection tab. Under LAN settings you will see a box for the proxy server IP address. Enter the address there, along with the port number (normally 80), and away you go!

For dial-up just select the dial up account you use, hit settings and you should find the proxy set-up box there.

Enjoy!