Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

question on baby follow on milk

question on baby follow on milk

Old Apr 5th 2006, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Question question on baby follow on milk

Hi
Just wondering if anyone could help me out who has a little one, we arrived on the GC on Tuesday, having ran out of milk cartons from the UK today we bought Sam (aged 11 months) some follow on milk from the chemist, obviously different from the one hes used to back in the UK.
After just 1 bottle hes has been sick (a lot) a couple of times. Has this happened to anyone else, did you stick with it or try another brand- anything I should know about the baby milk here Oz??

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

Donna x
Old Apr 5th 2006, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice
Default Re: question on baby follow on milk

I'M NO DR OR EXPERT just a mum who knows her son AND I WENT WITH MY GUT !

BY NO MEANS I AM GIVING ADVICE I AM JUST LETTING YOU KNOW WHAT I TRIED!!

HI I'M NO EXPERT BUT I THINK IT'S PERSONAL CHOICE YOU COULD STICK IT OUT TWO DAYS SAY AS HE'S OLD ENOUGH TO EAT OTHER THINGS GIVE HIM LITTLE AND OFTEN OR YOU COULD TRY FEEDING HIM OUR TYPE FOOD WITHOUT THE MILK SUB IT WITH WATER THEN INTRODUCE THE MILK AGAIN ?!! I REALLY DON'T KNOW BUT I HAD ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH MY SON AND THERE ARE WAYS ROUND IT YOU JUST JAVE TO FIND WHAT SUITS YOU AND LITTLE SAM!

I WENT AGAINST MY DOCS ADVICE WHEN HE WAS BOUT 11 MTH ABOUT GIVING KURT SOY MILK WHEN HE WAS REALLY BAD SICKNESS AND SPLATS BUT AS SOON AS HE WAS ABLE TO STOMACH THE MILK I CHANGED HIM BACK 'NORMAL' MILK BUT ANOTHER BRAND AND HE WAS FINE!

Last edited by sam mick kurt; Apr 5th 2006 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 9:41 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I would poss. think about introducing ordinary cows milk - depends on how close he is to 12 months and how tolerant he is of cows milk in normal diet.
But like the other poster, this is purely my personal take on it
Old Apr 5th 2006, 10:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: question on baby follow on milk

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi
Just wondering if anyone could help me out who has a little one, we arrived on the GC on Tuesday, having ran out of milk cartons from the UK today we bought Sam (aged 11 months) some follow on milk from the chemist, obviously different from the one hes used to back in the UK.
After just 1 bottle hes has been sick (a lot) a couple of times. Has this happened to anyone else, did you stick with it or try another brand- anything I should know about the baby milk here Oz??

Donna x
When I was a little tacker, my mother moved me onto goat's milk after weaning because I couldn't handle cow's milk.

Later, I graduated to cow's milk and haven't looked back.

"Going the goat" could be worth a try for your kiddy - but make sure you check with your GP first!
Old Apr 5th 2006, 10:19 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Australian follow on milk is VB LOL
Old Apr 5th 2006, 10:31 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Donna x
All my three kids got sick from most of the formulas as some of them seems to have more iron etc than others. The only good one (and expensive ) that they tolerated was S26 or S26 Gold. The have one for under 6mths and another for 6 to 12 months, some for older as well but I introduced cows milk to all of them at around 12mths of age.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 11:27 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's normal for this to happen - us and some friends went to extraordinary lengths to keep using the same formula when we moved home as the babies didn't take a change very well (even different types from the same manufacturer).

I've heard you don't necessarily need to worry about 'graduating' on to follow-on so if you can get the original that can keep them going. An alternative is to call the manufacturers back in the UK (there should be a number on the carton) and see if they can suggest the nearest equivalent in Oz.

You might also want to look into trying Lactose-free milk. Worked well for our little girl when she had an upset tummy.

Hope you get a result, I know it can be a worry,

Big.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Donna x

Both of my children went on to cow's milk at 12 months and were fine with that.

Good luck with it, if you want to keep him on follow-on milk I think you will just have to try a few until you find one that he's settled on.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:20 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

I've also heard you don't necessarily need to go onto "follow on" milk as it is more a marketing ploy than a medical reason. By the time they older they are getting a lot of their nutrition from other sources, so the follow on milk is a bit of a marketing ploy. My son never did, went from breastmilk to breastmilk and Aptimil 'normal' formula (when I was at work) and then onto cow's milk at 13 months. He wouldn't have any other brand of formula than Aptimil which was a bit of a PITA when we were going to Oz for a 4 week holiday. Thankfully he only needed it if we were out, so one tub of Aptimil did the trick.

You can also call the UK manufacturer and they can tell you what the closest brand is to your particular formula. In the case of Aptimil there was no equivalent in Australia (Aptimil has no iron added). When I called the helpline, they told me there is also a difference in that some formulas are made from cow's milk, some from goat's milk and I can't remember which way round it is, but one country uses cow predominately and the other uses goat predominately (the things you learn, hey?!). So the suggestion of going onto goat's milk might be a good one.

You could also try different formulas yourself (buy the ready made cartons) and taste to see which one tastes closer to your son's current formula. I know some might think that's a bit gross, but if you're making your kid drink it, then it's not unfair that you try some too! When I tasted (only a very small drop on my toungue!) various formulas for my son (in frustration- i was about to start work, he wouldn't take formulas and I couldn't express!!) you really could tell the difference between brands. Some do have a very metallic taste.

Michelle
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Donna x

I know I'm stating the obvious here and not intending to make out anyone is a daft as myself, but when we were in Oz last August my daughter was only 6 months, I bought some formula out there and made it up as normal - didn't check the instructions, duh. Anyway, after a few days of her hardly eating anything I realised that I was giving her far too much powder in the feeds and the quantities required are completely different to SMA's in the UK. Just thought I'd mention it in case it applies to you.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:18 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biggy
Australian follow on milk is VB LOL

so nobody thought that was funny....och well lol
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:26 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
All my three kids got sick from most of the formulas as some of them seems to have more iron etc than others. The only good one (and expensive ) that they tolerated was S26 or S26 Gold. The have one for under 6mths and another for 6 to 12 months, some for older as well but I introduced cows milk to all of them at around 12mths of age.

Forgot to say that with each child the wrong formula made them sick, upset and windy, painful... Within 24 hours of changing to the right formula they were ok and happy. With S26 you can usually by sample packets at supermarkets and chemists, for couple of dollars and if that helps, you'll notice the difference very quickly. Mind you, at 11 months I would possible try the cows milk, just remember to make sure you only give the full cream one, no non fat, hilo etc (sorry, just stating the obvious )
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:40 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Donna x
Hi Donna,

How does your babe take solids? I know most people do give milk to drink but as a species, we are the only ones that drink the milk of another species after weaning. It really isn't necessary in the human diet. Babies can thrive perfectly well on a balanced diet without added milk to drink. It's a very hard substance for them to digest (after all, we haven't got the four (?) stomachs that cows have!), so you could easily dump milk altogether if you wished. Save the cost of formula too! If you want to stick with milk, you could introduce cow's now and not bother with formula any more. The only reason to possibly stick with it is if he's not doing that well with solids yet - then the added vitamins and minerals might come in handy.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi Donna,

How does your babe take solids? I know most people do give milk to drink but as a species, we are the only ones that drink the milk of another species after weaning. It really isn't necessary in the human diet. Babies can thrive perfectly well on a balanced diet without added milk to drink. It's a very hard substance for them to digest (after all, we haven't got the four (?) stomachs that cows have!), so you could easily dump milk altogether if you wished. Save the cost of formula too! If you want to stick with milk, you could introduce cow's now and not bother with formula any more. The only reason to possibly stick with it is if he's not doing that well with solids yet - then the added vitamins and minerals might come in handy.
Quite agree with this. As long as the baby is getting enough calcium and general nutrition from other foods I would move to cows milk.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all of your replies, after reading them I had a look online (what a week this has been!!).
I decided to to give Sam a few milk free days and go for the cows milk rather than onto Oz formula milk that was completely different to the UK ones, and then change again to cows milk in a month.
He has had his 1st bottle tonight and all is well so far, so thanks for your advice mums..

Now any help with getting my routine back that took 11 months to perfect in the UK??!!!

Donna xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.